Author Topic: Recommendations for hc/pc outfits  (Read 3648 times)

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Recommendations for hc/pc outfits
« on: July 02, 2021, 12:20:34 PM »
Where do y’all recommend for historically/period correct outfits? I’m wanting my persona/impression to be a sheriff, outlaw, gunfighter or ranch hand, nothing to fancy

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: Recommendations for he/pc outfits
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »
Glad you narrowed it down some Josiah, a vest would work for all of those. My persona changes just about every shoot. I like uniforms but have done Rico Fardan, Rafe Covington [my latest] ,Sgt Preston, Lyle Gorch in his 1912 uniform and again at the end of the film, Josie Wales, Tim Strawn and Gabby Hayes at least twice. Yer dern tootin, dadgummit.  Good luck, just have fun with whatever you do.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 02:50:22 PM »
River Junction Trade Company has been doing this since before cowboy shooting started, I believe.  Lots of good sutlers, depending on what you want to do.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

Re: Recommendations for hc/pc outfits
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:50:14 PM »

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 02:59:07 PM »
I think I’ve narrowed it down to a lawman either US marshal or sheriff, I’m thinking late 1860’s/early 1870’s.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 03:17:01 PM »
Rooster Cogburn comes to mind.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 03:17:51 PM »
as mentioned River Junction Trade Co.

I'll add  ( I have had good experiences with all these )

James Country Mercantile

Hamilton Dry Goods

Fall Creek Sutler

Work-N-Ranch

Carrico Leather Works

London Jacks Leather ( yes its in the UK, but his leatherwork is superb )

Cliff Fendley

and look see here  https://www.cascity.com/business-directory/

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
How you carry yourself has a lot to do with a outfit that looks right. To good of fit and as new condition doesn’t look as good as a bit of wear to me. Festus Hagen in the old Gun Smoke show always looked more old west then Matt Dillon to me.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
St. George's Notes XIII - The Impression(2.0)...
« on: February 02, 2005, 10:06:13 AM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creating your persona is important to an accurate portrayal of the times and a good way to honor those in your family who went before.

It also allows you to concentrate and learn about specifics, and can save you some money as you put your Impression together properly - leaving frivolous purchases for later on.

I was lucky in having some interesting ancestors to draw from, as my forebears actually were soldiers, gamblers, gunfighters and lawmen - with nary a storekeeper in the lot.

My GG Grandfather rode with the 2d Iowa Volunteer Cavalry as a Corporal.
My GG Uncle rode with DeBray's 5th Independent Texas Cavalry as a Captain.
My G Uncle rode with G Troop - 1st Volunteer Cavalry (yeah - 'that' G Troop - TR's).

My own career has been spent in Combat Arms units - Airborne and Special Ops mostly - I commanded a Cavalry Squadron for The First Team, after I commanded an Infantry Battalion in The Big Red One - having first started out as a Rifleman and later - a Hard-Stripe E6 in a Paratroop outfit about 35 years ago.
I was retiring out of SOCOM when recalled...

Here's a thumbnail sketch - from the top of my head - and it hits the high points - allowing you to build upon it - fleshing out the Posts and the towns nearby - even the Saloons and the Dry Goods and Saddlers.

Why?

Because to make it more authentic - some of your equipment is going to have come from them.

For example - my saddle-shaped watch fob is from J.H.Haney & Company - a noted saddler from Omaha and first active in 1888, while my cigar case and a pocket knife both come from Union Stock Yards Company/South Omaha - that started in 1884.
These were places I'd have done business with or known men who did.

Retired, long-serving Cavalry Officer...

Served since the Civil War, when I rode with the 2d Iowa Volunteer Cavalry as a Trooper, in Sheridan's Cavalry Corps, from 1863 on.
Rode under Grierson, cutting telegraph and railroad lines near Vicksburg.
Brevetted to Major.
Chased Forrest, helped repel Hood in Tennessee.
Stayed in after the War and went West (with a company-grade rank) and fought throughout the Indian Wars - Apache, Comanche, Cheyenne, Ute and Nez Perce' Campaigns - rode with and later commanded a squadron in the 5th Cavalry.
Entered the Retired List out of the Headquarters for the Department of the Platte, at Omaha Barracks, where I served on Departmental Staff - in 1896 as Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry.

Now, that's 'my' Impression.

Yours may vary widely - especially if you don't have a Military background and have picked another type of character to portray.

For example:

Let's say that you pick a Working Cowboy...

What you'd have in your pockets or in your vest would depend upon what your character would have and his station in life.

You may have to decide how educated you might be - you may not be able to read, write, or do sums.
If you can - you might want to carry a pencil and maybe a Tally Book, so you can keep track of stock and such for the Brand you're riding for this season.

The pencil would not have an eraser - you'd 'erase' with a knife blade - or cross through.

No pen, though, as the technology hadn't quite made it to that stage.
Pen and ink were found in desks.

You'd probably want some education though, and might have a McGuffy's Primer in your saddlebags - that you've gotten from the new Schoolmarm...

If you've been paid, some 'hard' cash - coinage in the form of both American and most likely Mexican would be in your pockets - paper wasn't quite as trusted back then, but greenbacks and shinplasters were also common, as was Army Scrip.
You may not have much money - since your pay goes to keeping up you - your outfit, and once in awhile - paying off your bunkhouse poker debts.

There might be a Bill of Sale for your horse - stuck inside your billfold (a simple fold-over thin leather case - similar in construction to a modern checkbook cover).

You wouldn't need a Pocket Watch - since you could tell time fairly accurately by the Sun.
Anyway - maybe the Ramrod would have one - maybe not - but if he did, it'd be a solid one - most likely a Turnip" - because they were pretty strongly-built -the more expensive having the closable "Hunter Case" and the less expensive the open face.
But then, not every man would own one - they could be pricey for a working cowboy and weren't as tough as needed, and besides, there was usually the one that the Ramrod had.

If you're using a pocket watch, then there were watch fobs and charms as well as watch chains - the fobs being anything from an Elk's Tooth to an advertising fob from a harness maker to a spent Minie' bullet that glanced off your cartridge box at Shiloh, and you kept for Good Luck
If you carried such a thing - a Watch Fob from a local business on a strap would be appropriate.

A carbon-steel-bladed pocket knife might be in order - wood or bone handles being quite common and any of the good English makers (some German as well) were common - I*XL being well thought of.
It would probably be a single-bladed knife, though two-bladed pen knives were quite common and they got that name because they were small enough to cut quills for writing.
A hoof knife was a large knife - it being the Multiplier of the day, so it would be found in the saddlebags

Let's say you were good at your job...

You'd want to show that fact off a bit - so your spurs would be top-notch as would your saddle.
Maybe a pair of Buermann's Gal-Leg spurs - or later on,  McChesneys - or - of you're in the Southwest - a good pair of Mexican-made ones from the big Trade Fairs in Chihuahua - with jingle-bobs, so the 'town folk' would know you're comin', with your straps let out to the 'town hole' to add to the music.
The saddle - well - that's going to take some money - but once you've got a good one - it'll advertise to one and all that they're looking at a "Top Hand"...

You'll carry Tobacco - in one or more of its many forms - as most men of the time used it.
If that's the case - you'll want a Match Safe for your "Strike-Anywhere" Lucifers and your little bag of makin's - Bull Durham - or some of that black Mexican tobacco -  and some papers(non-adhesive) or cut and scraped corn shucks - so's you could roll a smoke.
They didn't call 'em "quirlys" for nothing.
Maybe a plug of chaw will be in a vest pocket as well - or cigars.
Perhaps a pipe as well - because tobacco could still be smoked if no papers or cornshucks were available
Snuff came loose back then and was carried in small horn boxes with lids - some silver-mounted and engraved.

And - if you're just a Button - maybe a couple of Peppermints, since you're not quite used to smoking, yet.
And even if you're not a Button - you'd still have a sweet tooth... and might have a pair of reading glasses inside your vest

There may even be a small flask inside a vest pocket - especially for a gambler - or a 'sport' - and even a deck of pasteboards.

You can see how the creation of an historically accurate Impression can involve a bit of thought - but once given - and with some access to decent references - it's easy to create what you're after.

The list goes on - again depending on your character - and quality varies.

A working cowboy never had much money, but when he could, he'd buy what would give the most value for his dollar, and that thing may not be the prettiest in the hardware or drygoods store - just the most durable.
A townsman would have more opportunity to buy "the latest thing" and so on.
A big part of the overall enjoyment of NCOWS is the peripheral history

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 01:05:11 AM »
I think I’ve narrowed it down to a lawman either US marshal or sheriff, I’m thinking late 1860’s/early 1870’s.

Some relativity;

1) How old are you now? This dictates how old you'd be in 1868-1872.
2) Young enough to been in the Civil War just a handful of years prior, or old enough to have been a Mexican War veteran?
3) *Where* are you. Save for the very edges of the frontier, a lawman would be appropriately attired in suit.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/1870-victorian-photo-gallery.php
https://www.legendsofamerica.com/law-usmarshals/

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 10:55:56 AM »
Some relativity;

1) How old are you now? This dictates how old you'd be in 1868-1872.
2) Young enough to been in the Civil War just a handful of years prior, or old enough to have been a Mexican War veteran?
3) *Where* are you. Save for the very edges of the frontier, a lawman would be appropriately attired in suit.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/1870-victorian-photo-gallery.php
https://www.legendsofamerica.com/law-usmarshals/

I’m 30 and live in Middle Tennessee.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 04:14:38 PM »
There are differences between a sheriff, a marshal and even a constable. Some are appointed as a federal marshal is but some are elected county or city positions. A big city or county seat might even have both a marshal and a sheriff. A townie outfit would be appropriate but then again I’ve never seen Mat Dillon in a suit. As a 30 year old from Tennessee in the 1860s you would have fought for the confederacy. After the war went west to forget the horrors of war and start over. The sky's the limit. Come up with a good storyline and build a persona from your story. And have fun.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 07:32:00 AM »
There are differences between a sheriff, a marshal and even a constable. Some are appointed as a federal marshal is but some are elected county or city positions. A big city or county seat might even have both a marshal and a sheriff. A townie outfit would be appropriate but then again I’ve never seen Mat Dillon in a suit. As a 30 year old from Tennessee in the 1860s you would have fought for the confederacy. After the war went west to forget the horrors of war and start over. The sky's the limit. Come up with a good storyline and build a persona from your story. And have fun.

And;  It is easier to build your outfit based on a time period photograph than to find a photograph that matches the outfit you created.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 11:05:50 AM »
Look at the old Time-Life series 'The Old West' and read 'The Lawmen'.

You can find it at your local Public Library and it's well worth the time it takes to read.

You might want to notice how formally those men dressed - not at all like Hollywood portrayed.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »
Old West Reproductions has some of the absolute nicest leather out there.  El Paso Saddlery is good, too.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 06:57:02 PM »
Hi

Trailrider and David Carrico both product good period correct leather goods.  I have a holster from both. 

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2021, 07:06:15 PM »
 I too have examples from Old West Reproductions ,Trailrider and David Carrico
you won't go wrong.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2021, 10:26:41 PM »

Even coin toss as to whether you wore Blue or Grey, but highly likely you were caught up one way or another in the (then)recent unpleasantries. Search your soul for the answer.

https://tennesseehistory.org/civil-war-2/

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 06:21:11 PM »
Even coin toss as to whether you wore Blue or Grey, but highly likely you were caught up one way or another in the (then)recent unpleasantries. Search your soul for the answer.

https://tennesseehistory.org/civil-war-2/

All of my ancestors fought for the south, so I’ll probably go that route but I may change it up and do North

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 01:52:06 AM »
All of my ancestors fought for the south, so I’ll probably go that route but I may change it up and do North

Careful, you might start them rolling in their graves.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 09:55:58 PM »

Hi
For a cowboy hat, check out Mike Moore at Buckaroo hatters in Covington Tennessee.  He was a Civil War Reenactor and has a hat shop called Buckaroo Hatters.  He can make about any cowboy hat you can get a picture of.  IFFFF you go there, eat breakfast at Billing's Bald Butcher first then waddle to the hat shop.  It's on the square now.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com