Special Interests - Groups & Societies > USFA CSS

US FA Case Colors-Period Correct to the Colt?

(1/2) > >>

Virginia Gentleman:
One of the whines that I always hear from the Coltaholics is that the case hardening that Turnbull does "just doesn't look right" on the USFA guns.  I think this is bullfeathers as it looks awesome and better than anything coming out of the Colt shop, unless it too was sent to Turnbull.  What do you all think?

Forty Rod:
The Colt's I've owned were slightly lighter than Turnbull's, but the colors and patterns were mighty close.  I had one that had an almost silver-coloered base with the other colors running all over.

Virginia Gentleman:
I think that the Colt case colors are not much better than EMF's standard case color and I too noticed the 3rd gen guns have lighter silvery frames more so than really old 1 st gen guns that are mint for comparison.

Advertising:

St. George:
Given the fact that case-colors fade with time - a 'silvery' effect is what you'll see on an First Generation that's been used.

I have an acquaintance who's been buying Colts for probably 60 years or so - and 'many' are still in their boxes - untouched - and you really don't get much more 'mint' than that.

He bought from 'old' gunshops when you couldn't give away an old-time gun - from widows who found the evil thing in the old man's dresser drawer and wanted it 'out', and just about everybody in between.
Even bought in Old Mexico - long before Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan wrote about their adventures in buying guns from over the border.

'Their' case colors look look my own Third Generation guns and his older, used-but-not-abused stuff looks like my First Generation SAA's.

Turnbull's product looks good - Colt's looks 'better' - but I'm pretty certain that you don't like to hear that, so...

The thing is - it's hard to replicate case colors - even though you're doing everything needed to do so.

Turnbull has success more often than others - and because he does - he can charge for it with no qualms.

Were I needing a 'restoration' - he'd be my first choice.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

PS - I talked to my guy about USFA.
His take was that they're good for 'use' - but a Colt is better for 'collecting'.
Not that he's a 'Coltaholic (your unwarranted pejorative term) - but he's an investor.
USFA simply doesn't have an established track record as yet.
If the company lasts - and if C&WAS continues to grow - that aspect can change (like the Great Westerns of the '60's) - so if you're going to shoot 'anything' - maintain it carefully and be sure to keep the boxes and papers...

Virginia Gentleman:
St. George:

I spoke with an ex-Colt employee who indicated that the current case colors done in house are not as nice as they were even 30 years ago because of the "Union Wage Earner"and cost cutting mentality at Colt now.  Proper polishing and metal preparation in his opinion went out the window. He thought the reason Colt went to Turnbull for it's presentation grade guns was that the older work force is gone and a lot of the knowledge with them on how to make a SAA look right to a high grade collector.   Colt's always seem to look better because they are looked at by a Colt collector or as I like to call them a "Coltaholics".  No matter if the metal is over buffed/scratched/tool marks, screw holes dished out and the cost saving 3rd generation modifications to the SAA, well it is still better and looks better...because it is a Colt.  I don't buy it and most people won't either especially for the quality that you pay for in a Colt.  I guess I don't understand why this is the way it is when it is pretty obvious it isn't. 3rd gen Colts from a very bias collector view point is better for just that, collecting.  I won't argue that, but as you pointed out the so called worthless, when they came out, the Great Westerns have now skyrocketed in value.  US FA may be young, but it is obvious to anyone who is unbias, that they make a much better product that sans the llittle pony is going to increase in value if as you said, they stay in business.  I think that is a foregone conclusion IF they don't get greedy and raise their prices. I was a bit alarmed when they had their first increase and hope that they will hold the price down to where it is now.  It is akin to make the comparison with the luxury German and new comer, Japanese luxury cars, Lexus outsells BMW and Mercedes, charges a bit less and builds a more reliable car that holds its value almost as much.  Most buyers don't see them as collectible for the future, but the Lexus will have fewer problems than a Mercedes, has much better customer service.  I own 3 Mercedes and now have to admit I might have been better off with a Lexus.  Anyway, good discussion and I guess we will have to agree to disagree like gentleman.  Best regards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version