Author Topic: ASM EMF Schofield .45?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
ASM EMF Schofield .45?
« on: November 22, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »
Should I be concerned with my used .45 Schofield Revolver that was listed as a uberti and upon arriving turned out to be a ASM/EMF? Serial number is 21xx. Other than the two screws in the topstrap that are slightly messed with, bluing wear on a few edges and a spot of blue thats iffy on the bottom of the grip the case hardening and blue look fine. The action times fine and the gun has a very nice trigger. The hinge is tight and ejection is good. Fired it with my schofield rifle load=too hot and my 45lc pistol load=sweet. Same load and bullet just different length brass. I might try to find a little bit plumper grips though. In all honesty, if I would have caught the manufacturer mistake I might not have bought it but you guys tell me if I screwed up.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: ASM EMF Schofield .45?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 03:43:58 PM »
Well  screwed up maybe ...screw with defiantly ...Falsely advertised ... maybe even fraud ,,,, Id at least see if they will offer a settlement.

Course I don't know what you might have paid  :-\  still  you said  In all honesty, if I would have caught the manufacturer mistake I might not have bought it

The issues with them sent many back to the importers

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »
  I had a shooting friend who had one of each and he preferred his ASM over the Uberti, but I can't remember why. He had replaced the factory grips on his also.  He passed away three years ago or I'd ask him.

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:11:13 AM »

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 08:26:14 AM »
BE, I had and sold many ASM Schofeilds, some good and some bad. Some would break open when fired with standard 45 loads, and some had bad timing, and the cylinder would not aline with the cylinder and shave lead. Really too bad as ASM made the best and most accurate reproductions as to the same size as the originals. There quailty was hit and miss. And remember there are very few if any parts for the ASMs except a few though VTI Parts.
Good Luck.   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 10:57:43 AM »
Hey there Biltmore   ;D

Could go either way.  As has been said, ASM bolt the most faithful replicants.  Build quality was hit or miss, if you have a good one though, hang on to it.  Most aficanadsoes won't pay much for one because of the spotty quality.  It's been so long since I worked on one, I don't remember if ASM extended the cylinder for 45 Colt cartridges.  The Cylinder bushing will tell the tale though.  As will checking the cylinder length against a 45 Colt case. 

"If" the front bushing is the original Schofield design, the gun will digest BP fine as frogs hair.  If, the cylinder was extended for 45 Colt cases, it won't.  If it times, Chambers aligned with the bore (range rod check) and stays locked shut when fired, KEEP IT.  The ASM Schofield has the potential of being a really nice gun when they are correct.

OOPS:  Forgot.  Just don't push it hard enough to break it.  Parts don't exist although, with some work, some Uberti parts may well serve.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
Jim Supica has some parts.  I know, because I had all the spare parts EMF had, and I sold them to Supica.  Must be 10 years ago now.  If it is a good one, it will be a rock star.  If it was a bad one, you would know it already!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »
Maybe I got a good one then. Tried 6 of my schofield rifle loads which felt very hot in the revolver while my same load in 45lc brass is very pleasant to shoot. Nothing popped open. The hinge is tight, the lock is tight and the mainspring feels good. Certainly doesn?t need lightening. It needs larger grips though. Feels like I?m hitting high but I shot it some today and hit my clubs small shotgun targets easily.  I?ll put some rds on paper this week to see. Leave it to me to find the odd ball.
Meanwhile back at the range...We had our BAM shoot today with 14 shooters =4 cowboys and cowgirls and 10 boltgunners. A grey raw day, we got 4 1/2 stages done before the rain started. Then we quit. I had 3 clean stages and 2 train wrecks but I was clean all day with my 03 Springfield. Had a cold but fun day. Even tried a turkey shoot with my M12 Trench gun, the guy that I loaned my beat up ?97 to won the turkey. Doh!!! I should have mounted the bayonet just to intimidate the turkey [target].
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 07:13:37 PM »
Cool then - not screwed ( your concern )  nice shooter.....  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »
Bought 200 pcs of 45 schofield brass from a guy and they came today. Now I?ve bought brass from a lot of folks but this takes the cake. And there are two other tiers of brass just like the one shown. How long did it take him to stack these and put extra glue on the box? Wow.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 08:18:16 AM »

Nice neat job getting that there box open Edderd.  There best be THREE more of em though.  I count 50 cases in that there stack.  Iffin you got just two more, your shorted by 50 cases.  Not that I would have a dog in the hunt.

Some of us though, are known for being OCD.  What ever that is.  Everything precisely placed and alike.  Sort of.

Been me though, Ida just dump'd em inna Zip Loc, dropped 'em inna box filled wid Ghost Poop wid da box marked "rattle OK."  Butt, that's just what Ida done.  Anyway.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »
My bad there Coffinmaker, I looked again and there are indeed 3 more tiers under the one thats visible. The gentleman who packed these had some time on his hands i guess.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 03:04:53 PM »
The gentleman who packed these had some time on his hands i guess.

Not to mention the gentleman who counted the cases in the photo...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »