Author Topic: ROA, the true "Magnum" BP revolver  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
ROA, the true "Magnum" BP revolver
« on: July 24, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
I shoot a brace of ROAs from time to time when the urge to make big booms, flames and smoke moves me.  Also, I have sold several custom bullet molds for the modified ROAs that were rebuilt to .50 Caliber.  The cylinders would be Five shot.

Also, I have Kirst Konverter cylinders for my own brace of ROAs chambered in 45 Colt.  It is an unpublished fact that rigs like mine have been proof fired with 454 Casull pressure loads.  Neither the ROAs or the Kirst Konverter cylinders were even phased.

Now, I'm not selling anything here, but if you want something more robust than a Walker 47 replica,  One already exists.  So, for those of you that want plenty of power in a black powder revolver, look no further.

Enjoy the big booms!

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: ROA, the true "Magnum" BP revolver
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 12:57:05 PM »
Thanks DD !

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »

CAVEAT:  I have personally never liked Rugers.  Therefore, as my caveat would indicate, I really don't like Rugers.  Icky Foo.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:02:20 AM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:03:42 PM »
Good to see you posting Dick!

I just HAD to go looking for a .50 ROA ... it seems both Clements and Gary Reeder were doing them, and I must say Gary's
are real eye-candy:

from
https://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/AmericanClassic.htm

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 06:38:28 AM »
Howdy Friends.
I have a pair of the Magnum bp revolvers mentioned here and love them. They will produce a huge cloud of smoke and get results down range for sure.
 I also have one that had the adjustable rear sight . Sure wish I could find a replacement sight for it as the one on the stainless Magnum bp revolver has been beaten to death and no longer usable.

;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
  I have somewhat of an update,  I designed a gated conversion for the ROA a while back. Since then, life and business has been front and center. Last month though, I found a company that may produce my conversion. The obvious chamberings would be a 45acp and a 45C  (which would allow anything off the shelf and "Ruger only" loads). There is also a possibility of a 5 shot version in 454 Casull !
  This is a "drop in" style of gated conversion along the lines of the Kirst gated conversions which means (normally) no changes to the revolver (internally) .  .  .  even the 5 shot version.  You'll be able to use it as a "drop cylinder" for ROA's that you don't want to open the recoil shield.
  Another plus is the possibility of having some new "cones" ("nipples"!!) produced by the same company. I designed these as well and the benefit is more power with the same powder charge you're using now.  So, there ya go .  .  . all updated and stuff!!

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 06:30:53 AM »
Wow sounds like good stuff !! Look forward to seeing the finished product. :)
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 09:06:22 AM »

:o  Oh WOW!!!  Somebody just hadda do it??  I've been thinking (Oh ... the PAIN ...) I might really like a pair of percussion guns with the bore diameter starting with a "5"  :D   Why, one might ask.  As a card carrying member of Recoil Wimps Anonymouse, why would I want .50 caliber??  Just because.  I haven't done that before (yet) and I think it would be really cool.  Not necessarily really practical, but really KOOL  8) 

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 06:46:10 AM »
  I have somewhat of an update,  I designed a gated conversion for the ROA a while back...... Last month though, I found a company that may produce my conversion.

Sounds interesting 45 Dragoon/Mike. Hope it works out for ya. I have a ROA, fine shooter and all, but my 2nd Model Dragoon 44 (with full length barrel  ;D) is still and always be my favorite percussion hogleg (Richards II fav conversion style, also full length barrel  ;D). Never cared for the R&D/Taylors style where you have to take cylinder out to load, after firing, remove the cylinder, reload, fire, take cylinder out, reload, etc, etc. PITA as far as I'm concerned, I don't care how easy it is to finger push the barrel wedge out  ;D. Of course the Ruger OA ya don't have to push any wedge out, but still be a pain having to break down every time.

Was interested in the Kirst for a while, possibly buying several, one for one of my Dragoons and one for a Uberti 1860 Army or a Pietta 1851 44 caliber, but the price to convert for cylinder and ejector rod in my estimation was to much. If ya shop right ya can get a Uberti Open Top or one of the conversion models for not much more than the price of a conversion cylinder/ejector rod and ya don't have to do any fitting. I bought my last Uberti 44 Colt Open Top (new) for the price of a Kirst cylinder and ejector rod. Ya I know, the Uberti's need some TLC in the arbor fit department and maybe some attention to other parts  ;D. As far as that is concerned, what modern, factory new firearms don't anymore. The firearm producers aren't putting out Pythons or old style H frame Model 27's anymore. Anywhooo (where's Rifle these days-miss his posts), 45 Dragoon, your endeavor for ROA's sounds interesting, will have to take a look/see if you market them. Endeavor to Persevere!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
Thanks C.C.!!
          I agree with ya about drop cylinders in open top revolvers .  .  .  pita!! Too much assembling / disassembling !! I also understand the cost for the gated conversions is a little steep compared to a factory "ready-made" (them under- cuttin S.O.B.'S !! Lol!!!)  but then again, nobody makes "ready-made" converted Dragoons/Walkers (what else can a feller do?!!)!!
      The only drop cyl setup I like is for the Remington pattern revolvers (6 shot Howell type ), it's actually pretty easy with them. My only concern with them (Howell type) is the support for the removable cap end against the recoil shield is the weak spot.  Thats where the Kirst design shines since it has full support with its stationary conversion ring. When firing, the case backs up against a fully supported plate.
      When talking about the Ruger conversions, the loading lever is a pita keeping it together while removing whatever drop cyl you have in it. Switching to an after market basepin makes sense here.  But, given the platform that the ROA offers (a BlkHwk with an extended cyl window), designing a gated conversion made the most sense!!  The benefits are obvious !! The Ruger platform is definitely suitable for a 45 acp cyl and more so a 45C cylinder, which will allow any off the shelf ammo (including the " Buffalo " stuff!) as well as upper end reloads (Ruger onlys)!! Now, the ROA has options nobody else has (not even close!!)!!  The cowboy shooter can compete / hunt /target shoot with the same familiar platform!!!  Add to that the possibility of a 5 shot  cylinder chambered for 454 Casull and what in the world else could a Ruger lover need?!!  All this without touching or replacing any action parts (unless your ROA is limping along in need anyway!)!

The design of this setup is completely new and the ROA is the introduction of it. Transferring this to open top Colt patterns and Remington patterns will greatly improve functionality! 

Thanks for your words C.C. !!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »

ALL very true.  Correct in every sense of the word.  Butt.  I don't like Ruger.  ???  (Thibbit thibbit)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »
Lol!!!

Somehow, I knew that was coming .  .  . !!!! Lol!!!!! (and from the correct guy!! Lol!!)

Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do !!!   ;).
  Thanks C.M. !! .  .  .  I appreciate ya!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »

OK!!  It's TIME  :D   It's time for the pudding (Pruphes inna puddin ya know)   :o   Needing a photographic sample example of the "new" ROA Gated Conversion   :P   I'm really interested in a brandy darn knew Ruger 3 Screw action that will digest Suppositories and perhaps even switch back to Percussion   :D   Curiosity is Killin me   8)

The Other Mike

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 02:07:38 PM »
Sorry CM,
  No pics until after our meeting with manuf  when pats. will be in force or at least pending .  .  .  (can't even describe it to ya!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
OK!!  It's TIME  :D   It's time for the pudding (Pruphes inna puddin ya know)   :o   Needing a photographic sample example of the "new" ROA Gated Conversion   :P   I'm really interested in a brandy darn knew Ruger 3 Screw action that will digest Suppositories and perhaps even switch back to Percussion   :D   Curiosity is Killin me   8)

The Other Mike

WOW! Had to read this post twice. There's a plethora of back pages here on the forum (evidence) stating you don't like Rugers. What's next, an affinity for Remingtons (again over whelming posts of dislike), and a new found love for Uberti made cap and balls/conversions (again mounds of evidence of distain). Better get out the bleach bit or what ever HRC used to cleanse her files and the hammers! Ah, Coffin, yer a ol' scudder you are. We'd miss ya if ya ever quit postin!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »
Did somebody say open top?

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »
I've got enough hardware for now (dental bills keep me broke  :( )  Just an opinion: Ruger misnamed the OA.  It should be called "The Super Whitney".  Just compare the loading lever/cylinder arbor pin assembly with the original Whitney Navy revolver.  Just sayin'  ;)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 04:31:11 PM »
Haaaa!  C.C., I sorta thought the same thing!!   I mean, I expected to see something along the lines of "don't like Rugers"  , "can't stand Rugers"  or " Rugers .  .  .  . huruuumpffff !!!" (as witnessed by my post of "expectation"!!) but this certainly could be evidence of something more serious going on !!!  Could be just shy of a medical emergency for Pete's sake!!!  Maybe slipped and hit his head!!  Bad side effect of a flu shot!! (tis the season .  .  .  ju get a flu shot C.M.?!!) 

We oughta keep an eye on him for a while anyway .  .  .    8)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 04:41:08 PM »
Did somebody say open top?

Why yes I did, (how nice of you to notice!!  ;D ) but I was meaning "as in the cap gun"  variety!   Nice looking 71/72 OT you got there!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:30 PM »
  Why yes I did, (how nice of you to notice!!  ;D ) but I was meaning "as in the cap gun"  variety!   Nice looking 71/72 OT you got there!!

Mike
Thanks, but only the leather is mine. You see, the gun belongs to a local hunting store, the new owner was happy to work out a deal with me. I pick a piece, clad it in glorious leather, and we sell it as a set for a better price. I had my eye on that particular piece, but my wife has both eyes on me. So... I didn't bring home the iron, but still did a holster for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com