Author Topic: Canadians in American service - CVMM  (Read 14297 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Canadians in American service - CVMM
« on: February 03, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »
The Canadian Virtual Military Museum is currently featuring Canadians in the Civil War - (both sides)

https://www.facebook.com/1greatvirtualeducationalexperience/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARB5k2-oBCFyscXY0kpZs59twZUNWGQg385TGrl5zYG2iNxZdZUtJm7PmwB-2nLyGUhbYro-r9UemXbo&hc_ref=ARRSfpKkMEhnCior9LWTUbB5eWzT1RQifzi6mg_fAn1TTMklXGgVTPyEtSFRvdql_g8&__xts__[0]=68.ARCQbq4Lb99CBaIho9TKDcsiC0yZfhXsI7V3jsfUetw8ujA4r5Gf1VEpiUubTQBzNLv2f74r_cl2vVqr4518bP8EhQ15vTa4TOoDLmz2kzVjdJA4xVk3yShCSYPzP-TNanQ0gn6nb642rzdBtAv1vTjRCfOZiCwdvl0wOmpeI8XVAxFaH3KO_fwWCenJbNW7iopS7A6NZ94fZ8z4tEHfDh_RYiyqtPV0FXqwsJFhgHkPDIh38cX6dyJCV4-OcjFB6c1AjOWogkXTJX1EQ9OA5mf1nlTu0aCPE3tBoKQpkBmQIrauXB4ejcFzhfXc2Lo7dRpyZPY3EhFSpfjUG7KJT2nZxWgsYxV0e_eYNYkSJTZvhku8uPd3ymk
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Canadians in American service - CVMM
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:54:43 AM »
I have a copy of "Canadians in the Civil War" by Claire Hoy. We were in it up to our eye balls, as combatants as well as commerce.

There were Medal of Honor winners and Generals among them. At least 5000 were killed.

The famous St. Albans raid was plotted and launched from Canada.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
I have heard that there were several chapters of G.A.R in Canada. One in Hamilton ON.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:49:33 AM »

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
There were 17 Canadians with the 7th Cavalry at the Little Big Horn, two officers and 15 other ranks.  Both officers were killed.  Lt W.W.Cooke, Custer's adjutant was from Mount Pleasant, ON., now a suburb of Hamilton, ON and Lt Donald McIntosh who was born at Jasper House, AB.  McIntosh's father was an employee of the Hudson's Bay Company.  Donald's mother Charlotte, was the daughter of a Chippewayan woman and an English factor.

Cooke was killed with Custer at Last Stand Hill and McIntosh was killed in the valley during Reno's retreat to the hilltop.

Just as an aside, Cooke's saddlebag gun, a Remington .44 cal  cap and ball revolver and his farrier's knife were recovered by the NWMPolice frpom a Sioux when they escaped to Canada after the battle.  Cooke's holster and knife both had his name on them.  They were returned to Cooke's family and on April 6, 1999, Cooke's great-nephew, Blake Cooke was selling both items at a gun auction at Red Deer, AB.  I attended the auction and had both items in my hand.  They sold for $60,000 CDN to an American buyer by the name of Art Unger, from Hicksville, NY.  There were only two bidders with the other one being from Calgary, AB.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com