Author Topic: Uberti 1860 Army Timing Concern  (Read 7550 times)

Offline Vireye

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 1860 Army Timing Concern
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:22:42 PM »
Howdy!

I'm new to the forum.  I'm new to the CAS world (long-time fan, just starting to participate).  I've had a Pietta Remington 1858 for a couple years now, and love it.

I got back from a recent trip overseas and as a welcome-home gift to myself, I purchased the charcoal blued Uberti Colt 1860 Army from Taylor's.

It is a BEAUTIFUL pistol, and I can't wait to shoot it.  I took it apart to clean off the packing preservative, and when I put it back together (getting that barrel back onto the frame was a serious PITA! The wedge was easy but where those two prongs from the frame enter the barrel assembly just didn't want to cooperate!) I noticed what may be a timing issue.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it was like this prior to me putting it back together.  It may just be my OCD kicking in, but before I take this to the range I wanted the opinions of the professionals on whether this was "within spec" or if I should get this looked at.  You can see that the chamber is off-center by a fraction of an inch.

I apologize for the cell phone photo, and the size, but I wanted it to be as clear as possible.

So am I just being too nit-picky or should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Uberti 1860 Army Timing Concern
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »
Is the pistol at full cock in the photo? Is the nipple and its window centered with the hammer groove in the frame? The contour of your fluted cylinder may not be centered on the chamber. Ideally a rod put down the barrel when the pistol is at full cock would go into the chambers with out catching on an edge.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Vireye

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 11:35:43 AM »
It is at full cock in the photo.

I don't have a .44 cal rod, but using a standard cleaning rod and laying the pistol on its side it didn't seem to catch on anything.

However, when looking more closely at the the nipple, and more specifically where the hammer would land on it when fired (by slowly lowering the hammer and checking if the notch was centered on the nipple) it seems that it's all off by a small fraction of an inch.

I'm looking for a local gunsmith who would possibly fix it, but not holding out a whole lot of hope.

It was exceedingly difficult to get the barrel assemble back on to the frame when I re-assembled it after cleaning...I hope I didn't inadvertently damage it somehow.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:12:55 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com