Author Topic: Naval Craft (past & present)  (Read 45711 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Naval Craft (past & present)
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2014, 06:00:24 AM »
Roger, Roger!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2014, 07:26:25 AM »
The Saratoga’s goin’ to the scrap yard. Government sold ‘er to a ship breaker for a penny. Said they tried ta donate ‘er for public display. No takers.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 04:46:48 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2014, 01:09:16 PM »
I would very much like to see them all saved!
Problem is the larger the ship the bigger the "money pit" they become for those that want (or are willing) to take them into their care.

Some ships have a greater historical significant to and for Naval/Maritime history of this Country than others do.
We as a people need to be able to have the choice in which ones need to be saved as Museum Ships. The more historical the ship, the more likely the visitation will be to help maintain it in its new home. But, finding a Home for such ships is critical to their survival as Museums.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
She, nor her sisters in the Forrestal class, had the heavy, big war time history as did ships such as Enterprise – CV-6, or Washington – BB-56. They served their purpose well. The term ‘supercarrier’ was first coined to describe them. It seems to me one, perhaps the Forrestal herself, should be saved for no other reason than that.

Today, Oriskany is teeming with marine life. While not serving as a weapon for the defense of the country she is still serving a useful purpose ‘n remains in one piece. In my way of thinkin’, which means absolutely nothin’ of any import, is a more fitting final destination than reduced to piles of metals to be sold by the ton..

But when one considers the sad fact no one wants to host them. And, sees at least in the short term, jobs for the breakers so they can put food on their tables, I will submit there is some good in the indignity the ships and those who crewed them over the years will suffer.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
It is the harsh reality that we cannot save all of these great ships, but the Olympia is the only ship from the SAW era that is left. It needs to be preserved.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
Texas Lawdog,

I very much agree with you.
Olympia should be saved.
Unfortunately, a community needs to be willing to undertake the storage and maintenance, care and up keep of such a project.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
Olympia is the oldest steel hulled ship afloat I believe, or is there an older one?  If the Russians can preserve the Cruiser Aurora, surely we can save Olympia?  See Aurora here:

http://www.aurora.org.ru/eng/index.php?theme=history
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »
Bob,

I believe the oldest steam powered "iron" hulled war ship is the HMS Warrior and it is preserved in England. Birthed next to HMS Victory.
Like I said, I wish we could save such maritime history... But, we need to find a home for them, to be able to save them.
My best.
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
Here you can take Virtual visit of the OLYMPIA  http://www.spanamwar.com/olympiatourintro.htm

On the home page you may contribute to her preservation....  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
Bob,

I believe the oldest steam powered "iron" hulled war ship is the HMS Warrior and it is preserved in England. Birthed next to HMS Victory.
Like I said, I wish we could save such maritime history... But, we need to find a home for them, to be able to save them.
My best.
Blair

Yes, Warrior is Teak and Iron armour over an iron hull with sails and steam power.  The ends of warrior were unarmored, she was armored only over the middle of the ship.  Some might call her a "first" modern warship but she really belongs in the class of ships called Ironclads.  A closer English corollary would be the 1896 HMS Devastation.  The French Redoubtable used steel predominantly as a first, and after that most warships were steel, iron was obsolete after Redoubtable just as wooden ships were after Warrior and Gloire.

Cheers Blair, and thanks for the point.  
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
The USS Olympia should be saved. Because it is the earliest survivor of this class of War Ship within US maritime history.
The USS Texas as well because it is the last of this class of War Ship, WWI and WWII.
The Texas is being saved. (much to my satisfaction) But it took a great deal of hull maintenance and repair to be able to move it and get it into its new birth.

Any body know where the new home might be for the Olympia? I do not!
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
How about Annapolis? USNA to be exact ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »
Not a bad choice!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2014, 06:45:39 PM »
Battleship Cove at Fall River, Ma.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »
The USS Olympia should be saved.
The Texas is being saved.

Both should be saved as well simpy because, in my opinion, they are works of art, beautiful ships both with graceful, classic lines. 
- Cole Younger

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2014, 05:49:24 AM »
Arcey, there is one example of the South Dakota/Washington class extant, the North Carolina at Wilmington. This class is the last U.S. class to actually slug it out with one of their peers( Guadalcanal) as far as the newer designs go. The Pearl Harbor BB's got their revenge at Surigao Straight in '44 ;)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »
Been on the Carolina in Wilmington. She ‘n Washington were sisters. South Dakota, ‘Battleship X’ wasn’t in the class. She was smaller.

Middle of the night, Guadalcanal. INJ Kirishima illuminated SD ‘n opened up. Too bad for her she didn’t see Washington. Washington beat her up so badly the Japanese scuttled ‘er at sunrise. The crew refused rescue.

Washington’s scrappin’ is one that’ll set me off inna rant. Can feel it comin’ on. Therefore, I’m shuttin’ up.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
Arcey, there is one example of the South Dakota/Washington class extant, the North Carolina at Wilmington. This class is the last U.S. class to actually slug it out with one of their peers( Guadalcanal) as far as the newer designs go. The Pearl Harbor BB's got their revenge at Surigao Straight in '44 ;)

Alabama is in the SD class, she sits in Mobile.  These are actually newer than the Pearl BBs such as West Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee, California, and Pennsylvania that fought at Surigao (all ordered or laid down before 1920), I don't think we have any of the oldies that worked at Surigao do we? 
- Cole Younger

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:26 AM »
I don't think so. Most of them were sacrificed at the Bikini tests :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com