51 (17.6%)
1894 Winchester
11 (3.8%)
1894 Marlin
41 (14.1%)
Other
9 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 272

Author Topic: Main Match rifles and why...  (Read 121994 times)

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Main Match rifles and why...
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »
I started with a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt.  Used it for a year and a half.  Finally decided to switch when I had three straight stages where I left 8 rounds in the rifle.  Stove pipe jams and having the cartridge slam into the chamber mouth.  Switched over to an 1873 rifle.  Got it's action worked on and short-stroked.  Since then, it's been a real joy to shoot.  Fast, reliable, and accurate.  Can't ask for more.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2005, 06:26:58 PM »
Ya like I had ta drag Old Top real hard to have that much fun...When he got that old '73, it took us 2 days of hunting to find a half box of 44/40 ammo...and he still has some of the cases left.....

But for me I started this with a Rossi 92 SRC in 357, it shoots better'n me, then I saw this EMF Hartford '92 Rifle with brass frame and SS barrell, and it was just calling to me, and I love em both. All the rounds I have put thru both of them only had one stovepipe and it was my on fault...so will continue to shoot the '92.

cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 06:43:27 PM »
I started with an 1894 Winchester Trail's End in 45LC. Took a while to slick it up and break it in.
I moved to a 1873 Winchester in 45LC then to a '73 in .357.
The 357 is my main match gun now.

Have had 3 92s and 3 Fish guns that didn't want to function properly, they moved on.

As of now we have 2 '66s and a 73 and an original 92 in .25-20 that is slick as snot.

Oh yeah, Miz Annie has a Fish gun now for her "B Western" persona.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:45:32 AM »

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2005, 08:38:30 PM »
Lets see now, I started in 1997 with a Win 94 Trapper in .45colt, used that fer a year, bought a 92 from a pard, slicked it up, used that fer about 5 years, Got a 73 in .357 with 24 inch barrel, short stroked it/action job Shot that fer a while, Still love that rifle. Got a  20 inch 66 in .38 special this year, Short stroked/action job. I've been using the 66 a lot more than the 73. If I could find a 73 with a 20 inch barrel I would probably use that more than the 66. I like the shorter barrel. Who knows, maybe some day I pick up a 1860 Henry to complete the "Winchester family" I really do love the toggle link actions
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2005, 06:34:41 AM »
I alway found the '73 to be a gorgeous firearm.  I started with the carbine, but the but was too short for me and I traded for a short rifle.  It fits and function flawlessly. 

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline hawk167

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2005, 07:13:50 AM »
Howdy folks,
I am so new I ain't even bought a shootin' iron yet!
Have a Sringfield Armory M14A1 I was fixin' to trade for a Henry Big Boy in 45lc.
Was mighty disappointed when I got to scratchin' around yer diggins to find that this rifle is not being
shot or even mentioned.
Can someone tell me why?

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2005, 11:34:54 AM »
Howdy Hawk,

The Henry Big Boy was approved by SASS as a legal main match gun just a year ago at the SASS Territorial Governor Summit. So, it's not had much time "on the line"... so ta speak. 

There was a lot of heated debate leading up to the rifle being approved.  A very vocal contingent was against the rifle because it isn't a replica of a rifle from "the period".  The other side said it "looked cowboy" and that was good enough.

Enough history.  Get yourself to a match and yak it up with the folks there.  I'm certain you'll get the opportunity to test drive some equipment and that'll go a long way toward helping you make up your mind... any probably save ya some coin in the long run too.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with yer clothes on!  ;D

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2005, 06:31:21 PM »
I finally saw a Henry Big Boy, I wasn't impressed with it, For the price, I can buy a 66 that will be a much better CAS rifle(IMHO) Than the Big Boy, the 66 is easier to load, and is a "REAL" Cowboy Rifle.
Just my opinion
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline DarkBlack

• Poor White Boy
  • Active citizen
  • Dark Black isn't a color, it's a way of life.
    • My Little WWW Site
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 03:56:43 PM »
I just started out in CAS this year, and I traded a Browning Buckmark & a Grendel P-10 :-\ for a Rossi M92 with a 20" round SS barrel in .45LC.

I've only shot a few matches with it, but I've put hundreds of practice rounds through it, & so far so good.

I have yet to have an action job, but I spoke to Floyd Hansen from Rockford IL (gunsmith specializing in Victorial period arms) and he showed me the difference between the extractor on a Rossi '92 and a Winchester '92. The Rossi was only about half the length of the actual Winchester. He went on to explain how this subtle difference accounts for the actions difficulty wit ejecting the empties fully. He's developed a few "tricks" he says will help compensate for the shortcoming.

That having been said, I haven't had any trouble with my ammo feeding, shooting, or ejecting . . . yet. I load my own with 9 gr. of Hodgdon HS-6 & top it off with a 255 gr. Hornady Cowboy bullet (RNFP), it's all touched off by a Hornady Large Pistol Primer and I haven't had any trouble with Midway, Winchester, or W-W brass. I'm using a Lee classic press and hand priming the cases with the Lee easy-prime (got into the whole reloading set-up for right around $100US).

He also told me that many cowboy gunsmiths don't want to work on Rossi guns. Has anyone else experienced this trouble?

All things considered, I like my Rossi. It's not the fastest gun on the range, & it's not a race gun by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not a "gamer", so for me it's more about enjoyment, relaxation, safety, and escape from the Democrats & Republicans!

I always wanted a Winchester '73, and what self respecting Jimmy Stewart fan wouldn't. But the '92 had one distinct advantage over any maker's '73 for this empty pocketed A-town white boy, & that was expense.

I think the '92 is a great place to start.
Shooting straight means never having to say you're sorry.

-Dark Black
SASS #65451

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 04:14:01 PM »
I use a Henry for my main match rifle these days. (well, for 2 of the last matches this fall...)

My firing pin in my Rossi 92 went and got broke. Now, I have to order a new one.

They are all cast, not machined. I am going to take the design to a good friend of mine and see if he can't machine one out of good quality steel instead. (he already owes me big...this should ALMOST make us even)

Warning to Rossi 92 owners...they all have the same problem, cast firing pins.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 04:26:45 PM »
Being new I have looked at Marlin's, 1973's, yellowboys, 1892's and I really like the 1873.  That being said I just bought a Lightning in .45 LC.  Haven't had a chance to get to the range and shoot it yet, but it is slick. 

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 04:59:14 PM »
Wait a minute, a Lightening?  You mean them things ain't jsut figurements of our imagination?

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 05:00:42 PM »
Started with a Marlin, the a Win 94 and finally a Win 73.  The 73 looks great, handles great and the action is the smoothest of the 3 with no action work.  The 73 was the most expensive but worth it, its a keeper.  ;D ;D

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2005, 08:54:12 PM »
If err when I get another long gun I think it will have to be a '73.  I agree that the ones that I've handled are really nice, however there is one person who may have a differrent opinion of when :(

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 02:50:17 AM »
My firing pin in my Rossi 92 went and got broke. Now, I have to order a new one.
They are all cast, not machined. I am going to take the design to a good friend of mine and see if he can't machine one out of good quality steel instead. (he already owes me big...this should ALMOST make us even)
Warning to Rossi 92 owners...they all have the same problem, cast firing pins.
When you get a new one, even if it's cast, polish it down on the polishing wheel.  That will take the roughness of the exterior of the metal, and provide much less surface for stress to develope.  I did that with the one I replaced in my wife's '92 and have yet to replace it again.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline MississippiMarshal

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 12:09:08 PM »
I kinda partial to my 24" Cimmeron 73' or if'n I need a little lighter I pickup the SRC Cimmie 73'.
The long is great for them dead eye shota where the SRC is the dump gun.

I have a Marlin I shoot sometimes to keep the cob webs out and ifn my daughter or wife shoots I usually let em use it.

The Cimmies were a little expensive at first but you can find them fairly reasonable on line now. I like the heft of the 73's better than the Marlins.

My Cimmies ain't had but 1 hic-up n a main match in 4 years. Once I had a spent cartidge go straight up in the air and came down in the carrier.

Marshall
God, Keep your hand on our boys overseas fighting to keep this great nation's freedoms.

Real gunfighters pull both pistols at once

Offline Dirty Dan Dawkins

• Wyoming or bust!
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mid Ga's electric cowboy
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »
I am new to this sport and purchased a .45 Long Colt Rossi '92 replica. I bought it used for $210 plus tax at a gun store. For me it was economics. Personally, as far as actions go, I love Marlin. Very slick. The only problem I had with my Rossi was the action. It has had an action job on it and is quite nice now. Still a far cry from some other brands, but nice. The plus side to the '92 is handling in regard to weight, shouldering and aim. I'd just like to put some buckhorns on it.
I play cards with J.D. Shellnut....chief of Police...SO get off my a**!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
I've shot a BP .44-40 Henry for years, still got it, but my new favorite is my Spencer .50.  Its big, its slow, its got STYLE!   ;D

Ya sure, no more wimpy little .44s and .45s fer me!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Silent Joe

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 11:56:33 AM »
I've my Uberti "Yellow Boy" now for 10 years and it's a lovely gun. (Yes, it's the one on the picture.) I shoot .38 Sp. only, but that is good for me. I took it over from my hairdresser, becaus he had no time for shooting anymore.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 10:50:03 PM »
My very first Cas shooter was Henry Carbine from Navy Arms in 44-40 about 1980. Later that year or in 81, In a trade, I also aquired a 66 Yellowboy SRC in 38spc. also another Uberti from Navy Arms.
I preferred the Henry, and with a young'n' on the way in 1988, I sold the Yellowboy.
I bet, I put 10,000 rounds through the Henry, in 9 years and whole lot of BP Blanks made from 444 Marlin brass in CW reenacting.
I wore the blue off but the gun still functioned without issue except an accidental bent magazine follower spring .
 I browned the barrel, and it served me well, until I allowed a fellow to talk me in to selling it to him in 1988...
I acquired a Marlin Cowboy in 45 LC, and it was not bad, used it a few years.
I still regretted the Henry's selling ( The same fellow still has it, I offered to buy it back , no sale ) though.
So the wife surprised me in 1999 with a New Henry Military Rifle for Christmas.
Not quite as nimble as the 2" shorter carbine was, but still I was  ;D happy.
I've since sold the Marlin.
I was about to trade a Replica Muzzle loader Fowler for a Uberti 73, but a NIB Spencer carbine was available and it beckoned me.

The Henry suits me just fine & and the Spencer keeps me grinning in my post CW era persona.
As Sgt. Drydock said ...it's/they have "STYLE"

EDIT:   should anyone be interested

I had re enter the years as , Memory was flawed...

The 1st. Henry was bought in 1980 & sold in 88  ....I did succeed to finally buy it back in 2010 ( it was PO that said I sold it to him in 88  ... He had not shot it in 20 years ....
In the mean time, I got the one my wife bought, sold the Marlin & the Spencer (actually traded for an Steel Frame Henry )
Bought a 73 (2007 ) , and got a Henry HRA H011 in 2013 ( thats the 1860's Model )

And earlier this year a circa 1989 NOS JH Marlin in 32/20 ( not really my cowboy gun, only holds 7 ) but mighty sweet .

That's 4 Henry's , the 73 short Rifle , and the Marlin ....  

Had a guy want to buy , ol #1 1980 Henry , so I sold it , on the 1/2 down 1/2 in a month that became 3 months into 4 months
So , with his money returned ...ol #1 is home and as the saying goes, If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn’t, then it was never meant to be  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com