Author Topic: New Taurus Thunderbolt  (Read 19922 times)

Offline NCRanger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
New Taurus Thunderbolt
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:12:04 AM »
I know, to some people the name Taurus makes them shudder. I have been fortunate with Taurus firearms and the ones I have purchased have all been good and reliable shooters.

With that in mind, I was at my local gun shop and noticed the owner had one of the "new" Taurus Thunderbolts on the rack. I asked if I could look at it and did. There was just something about it that caused me to want one so I came here and went on the net to research them and found mixed reviews. The reviews were all from 2005 to 2007 when Taurus discontinued the Thunderbolt.
Well evidently they're making them again. I went back and asked the dealer if there were other calibers available because his was chambered for .357/.38 special. He advised me that they are avaiable in .45 Colt and .357/.38 special. So I ordered one in .45 Colt. They will be offered in three finishes, blue/black, stainless, and with a case hardened receiver. I ordered the blue/black because it was all the dealer's supplier (Davidson's) had in stock.

I can officially say that if it is one of the new ones, buy it. I took mine home, cleaned it up and took it out back and shot it a few times (not enough to thoroughly test it however) and it is slicker'n boiled okra. If you work the action slowly there is some resistance because you are cocking the hammer back against the mainspring. When you simply work the action like any pump gun, it's really fast and easy. I don't think it has more than 2 inches of travel. It throws the empties straight up (it has two ejectors) about 12 - 15 inches.
 As far as fit and finish is concerned, the metal has nice even blue-black finish. The stock is dark stained walnut. Some folks don't like it but I do. Think of the color of one of your grandpappy's old shotgun stocks. I opine Taurus used that type of finish so the rifle would have that "old" look. Metal to wood fit is very nice for a $569 rifle (before Uncle Sam). It is my opinion the fit and finish is on par with some of Uberti's rifles sans the higher cost. The one thing I noticed however was some gas blowback from the breech. It wasn't enough to sting me or hurt or anything like that but it was unusual. It may be something common to these rifles. I need to shoot it quite a bit more to see if it is a consistent thing. The trigger is on the medium side as far as trigger pull is concerned but it is crisp with little to no creep. There is some wobble on the pump stock, but I think that is intrinsic to the particular design of this type of firearm.
 The pump stock handle has pressed checkering, but it is not smooth like some of the cheaper pressed checkering I've felt. This checkering actually helps maintain your grip as it is a little rough (for lack of a better word) feeling.
 Overall I am extremely pleased and I think Taurus worked out the kinks from the earlier models.
 One other thing I noticed is that the barrel has a small feed ramp at 6 o'clock that is highly polished. It is my opinion that this ramp increases feeding reliability. The last item is I read the earlier models had problems with light hammer strikes. Not so anymore. I checked my cases and all the primers were hit dead center and it was a good deep strike.
 Well aside from posting some pictures, that is my review for now. I have to say I was a little leary when I read some reviews of the older models, but I have to say I am very pleased with my choice.
 Next will be a range report.

Pee Ess: My dealer is selling the .357/.38 special models for $509.00 before Uncle Sam.
"Long days and pleasant nights!"

Offline Outlaw Gambler

• Citizen
    • Classic Old West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Taurus Thunderbolt
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:00:13 AM »
I don't think Taurus is making them anymore and your dealer probably found some old information regarding caliber and finish options. Davidson's is selling some 45lc that they came by that is old new stock, probably siting in a warehouse someplace for all these years.  With the polished area you see in your action your serial number probably starts with a "Z". This is the second generation of the gun Taurus made with the correction, or at least an attempt to correct, the feeding problems caused by the carrier being at the wrong angle. 

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:47:37 AM »
What Outlaw Gambler said, he should know he's a gun dealer. Taurus probably wouldn't start making the T-Bolt again for all the tea in China, if they were it would be on their web site. The blow back is common to the 45 being used in a rifle, it never was a rifle caliber for good reasons. The lock up you will start experiancing is common to the T-Bolt. There is a feller in Fla. that has been able to make them run at comp speed, but I don't think he is taking any more orders. Your dealer is most likely getting them from Davidsons, Good Luck :)

Jefro ;D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:19:34 AM »

Offline NCRanger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
Actually gun dealer notwithstanding and with all due respect, I believe Outlaw Gambler is incorrect! First, my serial number begins with an AT and has only 4 digits following it. My dealer who is a personal friend, contacted his supplier Davidson to see if any Thunderbolts with the case hardened receiver were available. His rep from Davidson advised him that they had 15 Thunderbolts with the case hardened receiver on order From Taurus since February, but were not given an estimated delivery date. That's why I opted for the blue/black finish.
Actually I just now got off the phone with a rep from Davisdson's (I am withholding his name) who advised me they just received a shipment of Thunderbolts mid week with the case hardened receivers and they have 7 left. He said you can see them at www.galleryofguns.net in case some may be skeptical. So evidently Taurus is manufacturing them again.
I'll make it easy fer ya http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Taurus&mdl=Thunderbolt&cat=2&type=Rifle&cal=45LC&fin=&sit=&zipcode=27949     ;).  The link shows both as blued finish, but when you click on the second one and the detail window pops up it is listed as color case hardened receiver.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »
"So evidently Taurus is manufacturing them again."  Or finishing up with remaining parts.  It will be interesting to see if Taurus is going to try and revive the Thunderbolt after lots of production and warranty problems and LOTS of bad press over them.  They are not on the Taurus website.  In fact, they are all listed as "DISCONTINUED."  Go up to the search box and type in Thunderbolt.  http://www.taurususa.com/gun-search.cfm

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 04:39:49 PM »
"So evidently Taurus is manufacturing them again."  Or finishing up with remaining parts.  It will be interesting to see if Taurus is going to try and revive the Thunderbolt after lots of production and warranty problems and LOTS of bad press over them.  They are not on the Taurus website.  In fact, they are all listed as "DISCONTINUED."  Go up to the search box and type in Thunderbolt.  http://www.taurususa.com/gun-search.cfm
Yep, nothing on the Taurus forum either, you'd think there would be all kinds of chatter. The only thing new was Heritage being bought by Taurus to get back into the single action revolver. Don't get me wrong I like Taurus, still have my Taurus Tracker, and they make a great 1911. When I first got into SASS many moons ago my first pistols were a set of Taurus Gachos. I really liked those matte SS, the only thing wrong with them was the transfer bar system. I took em to my local smith and he fixed em nice, said they would have been a great gun if they would have just put in a beefy transfer system like Ruger. I see some new T-Bolts for sale, but no mention of reviving production.
   NC Ranger, if yours ever gives you any trouble the guys name is Deadeye Dallas. Says he not working on anymore right now but will again later on. He can really make them run, even upside down. Good Luck :)

Taurus buys Heritage
Deadeye Dallas

Jefro ;D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline NCRanger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip.   ;D  I had read about Deadeye Dallas when I was originally researching the Thunderbolt on old posts in various forums. They were old posts (2005-2007) but Deadeye Dallas was mentioned as an option for  truing up a Thunderbolt. I hope I don't need to but...ya never know.  :-\

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
I'm picking up a New In The Box (old stock) Thunderbolt in 45LC with case colored frame for a bit under $600 this week.

Simply gotta have it!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline NCRanger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 05:30:58 AM »
Well Jefro the mystery deepens.  ???  I too could not find anything on Taurus's website about the Thunderbolt. When I typed in the model # for a search, it came back "no matches". The odd thing was however I used their "find my firearm" search tool and entered my serial number ATXXXX and it came up and said it was manufactured in 2011. I didn't think they were making them last year. Go figure.   :-\

Offline Gaucho Gringo

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »
I looked them up on Gallery of Guns and they have over 400 in stock and ready to ship. I can't imagine someone forgetting about this much inventory.
.357 Taurus Gaucho, .22 Heritage Rough Rider, 2-Pietta 1858 .44 NMA Remingtons, Euroarms & ASM .36 1851 Navies, .31 Uberti Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, .44 Uberti Colt Walker, .36 1862 Pocket Police 2 1\2"

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
I looked them up on Gallery of Guns and they have over 400 in stock and ready to ship. I can't imagine someone forgetting about this much inventory.

Whenever a manufacturer discontinues an item they sell off the inventory and tries to make the best of a bad situation.  There are no rifles listed on Taurus's website anymore.  Davidson's buys lots of over runs and discontinued items and usually puts them on special.  All that having so many in stock proves is that no one is buying them.  You don't see them in any large sporting goods store chains anymore because there were so many defects and returns.

Offline Ranger Joe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
I bought a case colored, round barrel, 45 Colt...brand new in the box a month or so ago. I have over 500rounds through it with zero issues and it is beginning to slick up nicely. Extremely accurate and very fast. Now I'm looking for an original in 38-40.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »
lotto, may i ask?, what's the going price on these left overs,i think i could fix the problem, maaay beee?

hootnix.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 06:25:01 AM »
I paid $500 which was the asking price at the gun shop.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »
That's the ball-park i'v come across, back when first started getting into guns ,,,,again. The two gun's i wanted ( back when i started lookin) #1 s&w d/a  45cal.  #2, a lighting ( thunderbolt) 45 cal.  I own NEITHER, but  i love the one's i'v got, and feel lucky to have them. I have read the down sides of the break top& the pump, sooooo, if i do get either one ,,,,,,it would have to a big bargan. HEY , i'd try'm.

hootnix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com