Author Topic: Couple of questions about my new Lee Pro 1000  (Read 5745 times)

Offline Sawed-Off

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Couple of questions about my new Lee Pro 1000
« on: September 04, 2008, 02:41:12 AM »
Howdy Pards

This is my first time reloading, and I'm just about ready to start pulling the handle in earnest on my new press. I just have a couple of questions to make sure I understand everything.

I've had one case moving around all the stations fine, mostly. While I was working out the VMD of my batch of Trail Boss, what I've noticed is after it drops the powder/expands the case neck, as I pull the handle back up the case comes down a small way and then "sticks". I have to give the handle a firm push to get the case to come out of the charge/expander die. It goes in smoothly on the downstroke of the handle. Is this sticking normal? I don't know if it matters, but I'm loading .45 LC.

Also, what is the best process for removing the powder measure to put powder back in the can so I don't make a mess? After I turn the powder measure to off, there's still some powder in the charge bar. Should I just run an empty case through the charging station a couple of times to empty it (then dumping the charges into the can) before removing the powder measure?

I hope that all made sense.  :)
Cairns City Cowboys #445
S.A.S.A. #4090

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
Re: Couple of questions about my new Lee Pro 1000
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:32:05 AM »
Howdy Pard,

Yes the "sticking" is normal.  The neck expander floats inside the die a liitle and it pushes up on the powder measure to dispense the powder.  You have a little free travel on the down stroke but when it pulls the case off the neck expander you will feel it "stick" until the case is free of the expander.  As far as clearing the powder measure, you got it, just cycle a few cases through it after you shut off the powder till the disk is clear.

I have both the Pro 1000 and the Loadmaster.  Both are good presses but they require some Patience.  Once you learn their little kinks and what to watch for they work great and are a good value for us folks that don't want to spend a fortune on one of the blue machines.  One word of warning.... KEEP THE PRIMER CHUTE FULL AT ALL TIMES.(the part that goes between the primer tray and the press)  If you don't it will jam up and ruin the priming system.  Lee makes some good stuff but the priming system is their weak link.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Sawed-Off

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »
Much obliged, Marshal. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for problems. :)
Cairns City Cowboys #445
S.A.S.A. #4090

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:26:46 PM »

Offline jimmyb.1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:40:13 PM »
Probably not an issue for your .45 and trail boss but for me using Clays powder @ 3.2 gr or so and .38's I really need to watch the short up strokes on the powder charging die.  The handle will go the limit down but after a LOT of looking I've discovered that the casing will not always move the charging die the limit up and not cycle the disc all the way over to drop the charge.  The casing lip will go over/overlap the part that pushes up.  The result is a squib shell.  It'll get stuck in my rifle but the pistol will phffft it out onto the target.  I don't think that I'm sizing the shell opening too much either b/c the bullet barely fits in as is but all casings are unique.

So be carefull when doing light charges on .38's.  No idea on other calibers.  I know, I should switch to Trail Boss.
jb

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:49:24 AM »
Ok, Missourah You said you have a Loadmaster also. do you have any more suggestions about the priming system? I've watched all their videos, and read all their FAQ's and tried to set everything like they say and I'm still having a lot of problems with it. I'm just about ready to pull ou the priming station and go back to hand priming.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I've had a Loadmaster for years, and I can't even count anymore how many new primer arms and levers I've put in it. Definately aggravating when it happens. I have learned to make sure it's always full, and make sure I start with the primer lever closest to the turret when starting the press. Otherwise it will bend the lower internal plastic arm and lock up and mutilate the primer hole in the upper plastic cover. Only other time that is a problem is if a primer doesn't get seated completely, or a pocket is too tight and won't let the primer in - then it's a nightmare too - gotta remove all the cases, lower cartridge sprocket, and then the primer assemly. I go pretty slow now-a-days with it and watch carefully..... ;)

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »
     I do not own any progressive , but do tun the Lee cast iron turret press .

I have watched some of the UTube videos on the Lee progressives .  They look to be informative .

I load 8 grains of Unique in .45 LC w/ home cast Lee RNFP bullets in my lever gun and wheel gun .

God bless
Wyr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com