Author Topic: Hoppe's #9 good for indefinite storage?  (Read 5920 times)

Offline Goatlips

• Top Active Citizen
    • Goatlips' BlackPowder Tips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hoppe's #9 good for indefinite storage?
« on: February 21, 2007, 06:28:56 PM »
Howdy all,

An ex-(?)-marine pard copied me on a question he sent to another board and I couldn't give him a certain answer.  We all know that regular cleaning is necessary, but...

"In cleaning some firearms, I used hoppes #9 and was advised by a gunshop to leave the #9 in the barrel for indefinite storage (maybe years). Is this true? The #9 that I used is probably 25 years old.
Thank you in advance for your help,
(Vietnam Vet)"

His #9 is the old stuff with the sweet smell.  I'll send him over here if I get any replies. Thanks pards

Goatlips

Wolverine Rangers/Lake County Pistoleros
Visit my Blackpowder site:
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

width=200 height=30]http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif[/img][/url]

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Hoppe's #9 good for indefinite storage?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »
Ain't never heard of Hoppes bein' used for long term storage, but hell, I couldah missed it.

Tell yer pard ta check this:

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Everythin' the article sez that I've tried werks exactly as described.  Have him scroll ta the bottom of the page where it gets ta "Use" 'n the text is in bold letters.  Section 5 mentions long term storage.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 05:50:41 AM »
I have been told "NO" on that one from way back.  For a long term storage, you'd want a oil product. 
And I have heard that you NEVER use the "old" mil spec BORE CLEANER for any length storage either.  It can be bad.  >:( 

Anyone else heard that?

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:31:13 PM »

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »
I schedule my recleanings every 18 months for my collection, and #9 gets slightly gummy in just that amount of time.  I switched over to BreakFree products a while back, and I am having really good luck.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 10:45:36 PM »
Doc:
Yes, Sir!  I really like the Break Free much better!
Cleans AND lubes both!
We use it on the M-16A2's & M-9's.  Fine product!
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Goatlips

• Top Active Citizen
    • Goatlips' BlackPowder Tips
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 11:15:11 PM »
Thank you for the replies mah friends, I'll see that my pal gets the information.  Maybe Cosmoline wasn't so bad after all.  ;D

Goatlips
Wolverine Rangers/Lake County Pistoleros
Visit my Blackpowder site:
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

width=200 height=30]http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif[/img][/url]

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:22:54 AM »
A light coat of 'Break Free CLP' - applied after being well-shaken - will suffice.

'Light Coat' being that which can be seen to be disturbed when a finger's wiped across the surface.

Handled with a pair of cotton gloves afterwards and placed muzzle down in dry storage with no fingerprint oils present, and with a dessicant - the piece will be well protected for long periods of time.

'Cosmoline' was/is a long-term storage method - but used more for 'deep' storage of many years, if not decades.

It's seen at Arsenal/Depot level.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:22:07 AM »
Howdy!

When I was stationed in Germany [Fulda] I put my guns I wasn't taking in storage, just like St. George said.  Light coat of BF, and a piece of chemical-release paper that is used in the Military for long-term storage.  (I didn't, however, have on cotton gloves or store them muzzle down - which is BEST.)  Plus, I threw in a desiccant bag with each gun into a padded case.  Rust or other corrosion didn't have a chance.  These guns, which were opened ONCE (to check) after 4 years, ended up in storage nearly 9 years.  Only one problem surfaced, and was pretty simply fixed.

One of my revolvers was/is a Colt 6" Python, Electroless Nickle plated.  It has a sort of dull, rather than super polished finish.  I liked it that-a-way because, at that time, Colt didn't offer a Stainless version (this was in 1981-'82), and I was on a kind of "tactical" kick.  (In other words, no gorgeous Colt "Royal Blue" finish, which can glint at night as easily as a blued piece.)  Any-hoo, the Chem-release paper (which releases an anti-rust chemical "vapor" for long-term storage) was covering part of the gun in the case.  When by best pal opened the case for the first time, he saw that the chemicals had leached out and stained that big, gorgeous, bull barrel and cylinder sides wherever the paper touched metal!  :o :o  He KNEW I would be ... shall we say - 'distressed,' (NOT at him - it wasn't HIS fault, after all  ::) ) so he used some Simichrome polish and after about 1/2 hour all was back to its' regular silver color.  The only fly in the ointment was that now, after the Simichrome and rubbing, the dull finish was pretty shiny.  (We now know the secret.  You can save manufacturing costs by NOT final-polishing the gun when it comes out of the plating tank, and you, Colt - or any other manufacturer, can advertise it as a "special" finish and charge $20 EXTRA for it, but have fewer labor costs! Ain't free enterprise grand?)  :o ::) ;D ;D ;D

I haven't heard about Hoppes being left in the barrel for more than 6-12 months, but I personally would go for an oil, even 30 weight, even if that's all that was available.  Hoppes MAY have added a lightweight oil to their solution, for storage.  Midway sells their brand (or Tipton - which they own) of bore cleaner that advertises oil in it for storage. 

I've also heard NOT to use the OLD Mil-spec cleaners, 'cause that removes ALL oil and will evaporate leaving the metal unprotected.  I WOULDN'T use Ballistol (straight) for long-term use, but I HAVE seen the "torture-test" photos that showed Ballistol doing better than BreakFree under their conditions.  ???  I'd have to test THAT myself - I don't exactly trust their results.  (My opinion is based on years [14.5] of Tank crew-served weapons being left out in ALL kinds of weather with only BreakFree protecting the metal - over the factory phosphated finish, of course - and having NO issues.  The longest time was nearly 5 months in a row, during Desert Storm.  And YES, that included a surprising number of rains, but mostly the 75+ degree temperature differential that happened daily!  (98 to 116 deg. F. during the day and dropping to 22 - 38 deg. F. at night - and it drops that much in less than 2 hours!  :o :o  Our machine guns would sweat EVERY night!)

Happy Trails!

PS - No; I don't work for BreakFree Co.:  I just know that their product WORKS.  I'm sure that there are OTHER products out there that also work, or are perhaps better than BF, but I haven't TRIED every product.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »
Howdy all,

An ex-(?)-marine pard copied me on a question he sent to another board and I couldn't give him a certain answer.  We all know that regular cleaning is necessary, but...

"In cleaning some firearms, I used hoppes #9 and was advised by a gunshop to leave the #9 in the barrel for indefinite storage (maybe years). Is this true? The #9 that I used is probably 25 years old.
Thank you in advance for your help,
(Vietnam Vet)"

His #9 is the old stuff with the sweet smell.  I'll send him over here if I get any replies. Thanks pards

Goatlips

No , I would not .  It is not nearly as aggressive a cleaner as the ones that smell of ammonia , but it still is aggressive enough to dissolve some copper .  So , that , in my mind makes it too aggressive for LONG term storage .

Besides , it appears to dry out with time , which I fear leaves the bore unprotected .  Better to use gun oil .  Which also appears to dry out with longer periods of time .

For LONG term storage , I would use grease or at least CLP .

God bless
Wyr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com