Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 305033 times)

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #680 on: February 11, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »
The evening around the scouts' fire drew to a close as more and more people headed for their bedrolls.

Perry wanted to see where Bo and Chris went, since he figured that would tell him which tent Ella was in, but they headed away from the tents and toward the stables. Perry hadn't heard any stories about Ella sleeping with her horse the way the bounty hunter did, so he stayed at the fire waiting for them to come back.

When the fire burned out and it got to be cold, he gave up, and headed for his own bedroll.
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #681 on: February 12, 2008, 07:23:11 PM »
He reluctantly parted from his lady and headed back to his tent.  The inside was cold and dark.  His Sibley had gone out, the orderly had not assumed his post as of yet.  Fritz gathered his greatcoat and ’66, and headed back to his horses.

Buddy and Strider waited expectantly.  He felt bad that he could only ride one of them.  Buddy needed more work than his old war horse.  He patted Strider on his head, and set him loose in the pasture.  “Go find you one of those willing mares,” he said.  The stars and moon shone brightly.  He could saddle Buddy by feel if necessary, but the light helped.  Fritz mounted up, and headed towards the end of camp.  The sentries knew the drill by now. 

The senior man said, “Out for another midnight ride, sir?”

“Yep…I’ll signal if there’s trouble.”

The sentries saluted, and Fritz rode into the night.

The junior man asked, “I wonder if he’s as restless as the rest of us?”

It was a rhetorical question.

Fritz and Buddy moved at a slow, easy pace.  They weren’t in a hurry to get out, or get back.  The wind felt good on his face.  The dark enveloped them both.  He’d taken to riding circuits around the fort, to ease the restlessness he felt.  During the day, he’d ride until he could barely see the rooftops; at night, he’d only ride until he could barely see the campfires. 

He’d never asked about her past before, and didn’t really care.  He loved her, and that was all that mattered.  Scarlet had brought it up, and that drunken idiot had only made him curious.  He’d damned himself the moment he’d spoke of it.  He hadn’t been a marshal for long, and he was still honing his instincts.  Fritz knew the life of a bounty hunter was a rough one, and there was always the possibility of a “misunderstanding” with the law.  There were plenty of instances where a man would go straight, and pin on a star.  He also knew that there was the possibility of going the other way too.  Cops made the best crooks, because they knew how the enemy thought.  “If you stare long enough into the abyss, they abyss stares into you,” Fritz thought. 

Buddy slowed to a walk.  Fritz took the time to pull on his greatcoat.  Since it covered his holstered pistols, he pulled the ’66 from its scabbard.  Fritz worked the action, and lowered the hammer to half-cock.  He rested the rifle across the front of his McClellen.  He didn’t expect trouble, but it had a way of finding him. 

They’d made their way down to the little stream.  Fritz and Buddy slowly made their way across.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #682 on: February 14, 2008, 10:19:13 AM »
Scarlet rode back to the stables, seeing Buddy missing she decided she’d ride a bit longer to sort her thoughts. Tonight she rode in site of guards on duty; she could think better not having to completely watch her back.

The fewer people that knew the truth about Archie the safer he was. She knew he’d taken a chance talking to her about it. Scarlet had a few ideas by the time she rode back into the stables.

Buddy was still missing when she arrived. Scarlet brushed down Lucky, petted the rest of the horses and headed back to the tent she shared with Fritz.

Scarlet’s mother had the wanted poster she’d spoke of earlier tucked away some place, Becca had one too. It was sure a heck of a drawing. She grinned impishly thinking if she couldn’t show Fritz the poster itself she’d show him the person the likeness was drawn after.

Finding the tightest pair of trousers she had Scarlet pulled them on and put on her boots. She removed her shirt and replaced it with a black corset that she laced tightly at the waist and top. She bent over making sure the corset wasn’t too tight to move in, and adjusted herself in it. Removing the tie from her hair she shook it before straightening up and letting it drape loosely over her shoulders. Scarlet walked over to the small mirror and looked into it. Picking up her hat she put it in place, then her gun belt and slid on her long duster leaving it open. She thought twice about the gun belt, but with Fritz not here and Perry and his friends were out there so she opted to wear it and make sure she listed to the activities outside. Scarlet took another look in the glass. Yep, that was the drawing on the poster. She felt something was missing though. Taking the yellow cord she wore in her hair she put it around her neck. Looking in the glass she smiled. That was as close as Fritz’s girl came to the girl on the poster.

Scarlet placed the lamp in the middle of the table and picked up a couple of the maps Cyrus had loaned her before sitting down. She figured those would occupy her until Fritz returned.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #683 on: Today at 01:20:34 PM »

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #683 on: February 25, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »
Fritz smiled as he watched Scarlet get dressed. She added a blouse to what she’d been wearing when he had come in early this morning, and belted her gun belt over it.

“You always seem to surprise me somehow.” He said crossing the room.

He brushed the hair away from her neck and softly kissed her soft skin.

Scarlet turned and looked up into his eyes with a smile that told him she loved him.

“Keeps you on your toes and you won’t bore of me Sugar.” She replied.

“I’ll never bore of you.” He stated as he looked at her. Her spirit was truly wild, he could see it in her eyes.

“Scarlet…”

“What’s on yer mind Sweetheart?”

“Ah.. never mind.” He said turning to retrieve his shirt.

“You know you can’t do that to me.” She said taking hold of his hand.

Fritz turned back to her. He knew that look, they’d be here all day if he didn’t say what he had started out to.

He looked her up and down again. “What do you tell men when they ask you what you’re doing with an old soldier?”

A grin slowly parted her lips. “I tell them I have the privilege of learning from one of the best.”

Fritz was surprised at her reply. He could see the devilment in her eyes and knew if asked that is probably exactly what she did tell them.

“Ella and I will be down at the river fishin’ if you want to join us today.”  She giggled as she went out the tent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Scarlet and Ella rode their horses pulled ahead of the rest of the group. Once out of earshot of the other Scarlet looked over at Ella.  She didn’t know how to start, but Ella was one of the best secret keepers Scarlet knew so she figured the truth would be the best. That way Ella would have the facts and be able to help best.

“There’s a marshal undercover at the fort. He’s afraid when the men arrive from Houston it may blow his cover. We need to flush Perry out and some how get him to leave the fort with Archie before their arrival.”

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #684 on: February 25, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
"Archie is a pretend-drunk?" asked Ella, just looking for confirmation since that was what fit the hints Scarlet had dropped.

Scarlet nodded.

"I can comment to someone in someone's hearing, like Lucas who hangs around with Archie and Perry, that I don't have cell space to put anyone else until the posse from Omaha gets here to take Drew and Owen. Maybe I can set Chris to spread that bit of gossip into Dick's camp. It's true that I'm out of cell space. The stockade and the infirmary are both pretty full with soldiers who have been fighting. The younger soldiers are getting real restless with waiting to go to battle. Fritz is keeping his men busy with training, so they are staying out of trouble, but most of the other captains aren't." Ella paused in thought, then continued, "Maybe I should talk more about how our office works, with wanted posters all indexed and cross-referenced, and Patches and Bill happy to look up anyone I wire a question about."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #685 on: February 26, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »
“Archie’s claim to outlaw fame is killing Marshal Witts a couple years back through the heart. He’s even got the badge with a bloody whole right through the center.” Scarlet exclaimed. “Archie said there is no real paper as he didn’t want …well as he put it bounty hunters coming for him, but as far as Perry is concerned Archie says his past just hasn’t caught up with him. I think saying there is a poster on the man that shot Marshal Witts might be the leverage Archie needs to pull out.” Scarlet paused for a moment then went on. “I get the feeling Perry is really bad news. Archie didn’t say it in so many words but keep your eyes out for him. I know you already feel that.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #686 on: February 26, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »
"Patches didn't say what the old poster wanted Perry for. If he's got a marshal trying to get close to him instead of arresting him, Perry must be part of some bigger investigation," replied Ella. "I can write a flimsy as though Patches sent me the information on Archie this evening when I have dinner with the telegraph operator. We can both look long and hard at Archie after I show it to you, then go talk to our brothers. They are already keeping an eye on Archie because he asked too many questions about us. I'm sure I would be a lot happier with Perry behind bars or a long way away from here, and Patches passed on the order not to put him behind bars, so I'm happy to do something that will lead him to go a long way away from here."

Ella thought for a moment, then said, "They might try to question Orville today, since he has been added to my circle. If he tells his secret, it can help."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #687 on: March 14, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »
“Archie didn’t say why he is riding with Perry. I didn’t ask either. I didn’t think there was time to go into to many details. It wouldn’t be good the two of us seen being friendly.” Scarlet remarked then added. “I can tell you he was a good law man and if the word from Houston is he is still a good law man then I’m going to trust it.”

Scarlet half smiled “I would like to see Perry away from here too, I think Archie is concerned Perry will try something that will get them killed.”

Scarlet looked over her shoulder at the trailing riders then back at Ella. “I noticed some of our brothers stayed behind today. No doubt Archie is under close watch by them. I like your idea of the flimsy. I wonder if we should leave something behind for Archie to find?” Scarlet asked herself as much as Ella.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #688 on: March 14, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »
"Archie and Perry are both under close watch today," replied Ella. "Bo had already talked to our brothers before I did, about the note saying that Drew and Owen were plotting to catch me when I went out fishing, and about Perry talking to Drew so much. I'm still planning to be careful out there."

Ella rode in silence a moment before continuing, "We might get more details about Archie from Patches this evening, after her messenger from Houston gets to the Starr today. The easiest thing to leave available for Archie to find would be the rough draft of the flimsy I'll make up. I'm not as good as Patches. She can write out the whole message on the fly, while I have to write down the letters I hear, then read it over to figure out how to decode it. About the only things spelled out in full on the rough draft would be the name Witts, and a number like 1000. Unless you think the amount of the bounty would be higher?"

Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #689 on: March 16, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »
"I wouldn't go any higher than a 1000." Scarlet chuckled.

Ella looked questioningly at her.

"That's alot of money. Archie is right, word on that gets out he'll have bounty hunters all over him. I might even have to think twice about not brining him in." She smiled.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #690 on: March 16, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »
El Paso - Monday

Ambrose Hayes was relieved to finally arrive in El Paso late Monday afternoon. It had been a long two days on the road, even with covering a lot of the distance by rail. There wasn't a separate office in town for the US Marshals Service that he could see. Well, a telegram came from that office, so the telegrapher there across the street should be able to direct him.

Tinker came out to the front counter in response to the bell on the door. "May I help you?"

"I received a telegram from the US Marshals Office here and I need to talk to the person who sent it."

"Well, Patches McDowell takes care of all the telegraph business for them, out of the office at the Southern Starr. Head west out of town, and watch for the marked entrance on the left. Once you are on Southern Starr land, stay on the road. The hands there don't take kindly to strangers leaving the road."

"Thank you for the information."

He followed the road out of town, wanting to take care of business first. He saw that a couple hands noticed him even before he came through the entrance, but they kept their distance while he followed the road to the big house. He dismounted in front of the house, and faced the couple on the porch. It felt like there were guns pointed at his back. There probably were.

He displayed his badge while he said, "My name is Ambrose Hayes. I'm a Deputy with the US Marshals Service in Houston, and I'd like to talk to Patches McDowell about a telegram our office received."

Johnny and Rose came down the stairs.

“Who do you serve under there?” Johnny asked.

“Marshal Luther Thompson,” Ambrose said, knowing the badge he displayed didn’t impress the man much.

“Marshal Luther Thompson should have sent a wire letting us know we’d be having visitors,” Johnny replied.

“Marshal Thompson said a wire wouldn’t make a difference to you, Mr. Longknife. He also said he expected to hear from you either way.”

Johnny chuckled at the comment.

Rose smiled, "Patches did say a messenger was coming. I'll show you to the telegraph office, while Johnny takes care of your horse."

"Thank you," he answered, accepting the hospitality offered, and feeling the tension ease. 

Rose called out when they reached the outbuilding with the wires, "Patches, you've got a visitor from Houston."

Ambrose was surprised to hear a woman answer, "Thankee, Rose."

Rose said to him, "Go on in. I'll go bring some cake and coffee for all three of you."

"Three of you?" he wondered, entering the door to see a small woman seated at the key.

"Houston said they were gonna send me more information about Perry White aka Smith. I take it that's why you're here."

"Yes. I'm Deputy Ambrose Hayes. White is central to an investigation that's close to bearing fruit, but any rumor, any whisper, of Marshal interest can blow the whole business to bits. That's why you were told to stay away from him. But we do want to know if Archie Johnson is still with Wihte."

"You're gonna hafta talk to Mrs. Coatsworth, Ella, about that," said Patches, turning to the key to send a short message, while a bearded man came in from back door.

Ambrose's mind translated the Morse code easily, "JMD FORT FETTERMAN STOP NEED TO TALK TO ECW ASAP

STOP", as he said, "Wait. This business cannot, must not, be discussed over a telegraph line. It is far too sensitive."

Patches replied, "Don't worry. Ella and I have nearly unbreakable codes to use once she comes online. Bill, this is Deputy Ambrose Hayes from the Marshals office in Houston. This is my husband, Doctor William McDowell, also a Deputy."

Ambrose insisted, "I'm competent at the telegraph, and codes. The standard marshal codes are not secure enough for this business. There's no such thing as an unbreakable code."

Patches told him, "If'n a secret is known to more than two people, it don't usually stay secret. All of your codes are known to heaps more'n two people. I promise that you aren't gonna understand what I send or she answers just by listening to the wire. Just tell me what Ella needs ta know and what Ella needs ta answer."

"Archie Johnson is a Special Deputy who has infiltrated Perry White's gang in an effort to get evidence on a conspiracy. Last word we got from Johnson in March indicated that he was close to success, but then Perry White dropped out of sight completely, and Archie with him. We don't know if Johnson's been eliminated or where White is."

Patches told Ambrose, "Archie Johnson and Perry Smith signed on with Dick Kane's scout crew in Crook's Army for the campaign this summer in the Black Hills. After Ella recognized a couple outlaws, she started checking the backgrounds of some of the other men in that crew." 
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #691 on: March 18, 2008, 09:08:44 PM »
Ella and Scarlet had been back for a short time when Stanley came down to the scout camp, and delivered the message, "Mrs. Coatsworth, you are wanted on the wire as soon as possible."

"Thank you, I'll come right now," replied Ella. "Bo, would you please bring supper up when it's ready?"

Bo nodded, and Ella headed for the telegraph office with Stanley.

Archie moved closer to Scarlet when Ella left.

“There was no need to sick yer watch dogs on Perry an’ me.” He said. “Don’t trust what we are involved in.” Scarlet detected more of statement than a question in the second sentence.

“I wasn’t responsible for asking them to watch you and your friend.” Scarlet looked at him. “But be sure to keep a close eye, ya never know what we might do. You asked to many questions bout us. My friends don’t trust you, runnin’ with Perry an’ Drew. They figure you to be cut from the same cloth.”

“I hope I didn’t cause problems between you and your man talkin’ ‘bout you and that marshal.” Archie said sarcastically and half smiled for Perry’s benefit.

Scarlet wondered if she detected the look of regret in his eyes for a fleeting second.

“Someday I’ll tell him about our most interesting relationship.”

Her tone told Archie she thought well of Marshal Witts.

“My best advice is to watch yer step Archie. Trust is not easily earned with this group and if you intend to ride with us you will need it.”

Archie stepped closer and lowered his voice. “I’m doin’ ok Bounty Hunter. I remember my roots. I remember who I am and why I’m here. Tell them that is they ask.” He said  then stepped back and looked her up and down. “You have always been a pleasure on the eyes.” He said with a tilt of his head. “You and the doctor lady are playing in a man’s world. Even when you think you may be safe someone’s lookin’ to gut ya. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t do such a thing. I’d rather have a willing partner.” Archie started to walk away then shot her a leering smile. “Let me know if yer interested.” He winked.

Scarlet rolled her eyes. “Just keep watchin’ Archie, nuthin’ else and you’ll leave here with all the hair on yer head.”

When Archie walked away Teddy came up next to her. “I don’t like the way that boy is talkin’ to you.” He spat.

“If I couldn’t put up with things like that I should be toten’ tea back home and not be here.” Scarlet chuckled.   

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #692 on: March 18, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »
El Paso

The key chattered then, "PMD SOUTHERN STARR STOP ECW HERE" and Patches sent an acknowlegement, signalling a shift into the most difficult key she and Ella shared. Patches sent the first question and got an response that she reported to Ambrose as "Yes, Archie is close to Perry and wants Perry to skedaddle."  Ambrose relaxed a bit when he realized he couldn't hear where words started or stopped, and wondered about why Archie had broken cover so that Ella could report that much of his plans.

Ambrose responded, "It would be good to flush him out of that hiding place."

Patches sent another short message.

Ambrose said, "You told us that Spanish Ben and Jimmy Washington are in custody up there. I'll arrange for the posse that is going to fetch them back to Houston to meet me in Cheyenne. That'll give me a chance to talk to Mrs. Coatsworth directly. Tell her to expect me next Monday."

Rose came in with a tray of cake and coffee for three.

Patches sent another short message, and laughed out loud at the much longer response from Ella before asking Ambrose, "Would you be willing to deliver something to Ella? It might be a bulky parcel, but lightweight."

"Yes, no problem."

Patches sent his reply and signed off after receiving one more word from Ella.

"Rose, Ella says that she and Scarlet need more clothes, something suitable for dining with officers."

Rose’s face seemed to light up. “Dining with officers?” she wondered. Rose would have to ask Ella and Scarlet all about that. If there was socializing to be done, Scarlet, like her father, could usually be found with the men who would be on the front line.

Rose asked, "Will you stay for supper, Deputy Hayes? That will give Patches and myself time to collect what Ella requested."

"Thank you, but I really shouldn't. I still need to secure a room for the night in town. I was told the Ace of Hearts is best and the Pink Palace is cheapest."

"Well, you don't want to stay at the Pink Palace if you are interested in sleeping. Some of the hands will be happy to have an excuse to escort you to the Ace after supper. That way, I can give you a note to Mrs. Ross, Becca, because Scarlet's most suitable clothes are in her room there instead of out at her ranch."

"Then thank you again for the supper invitation, which I am happy to accept." Ambrose turned back to Patches, who was sipping one of the cups of coffee. "I am very impressed with the efficiency of the code you were using. None of those messages between you sounded like more than 5 or 6 words."

"That's part of why it's nearly unbreakable. We use a lot of abbreviations, and references to previous messages and conversations. If'n someone got all the letters out of the messages, and expanded the abbreviations, they still wouldn't make any sense without knowing all of the other messages we have exchanged over the past three days, which were sent in a different code every day."

"How do you abbreviate 'skedaddle'? And why do you use such a long word?"

"It says 'leave in a hurry without ceremony' more efficiently than any other word, and isn't very long sent as SKDL."

Bill interjected, "I can't make out even half of the messages she, Rose, Becca, Ella and Scarlet exchange when they're talking in the same room. I always figured that was just women being mysterious."

Patches punched Bill playfully, before telling Ambrose, "Why don't you use the key here to send your messages while I collect Ella's clothes?"

"Thank you," he replied, replacing her at the key and taking a cup of the coffee.

Rose joined Patches to help pack Ella’s blue dinner dress. “I better have Becca send something similar so neither one of them feels out of place,” Rose commented.

“Then you better not tell Becca what it’s for. She will pack sumthin’ ta make the officers not care what’s for supper,” Patches giggled, causing Rose to giggle along with her.
Elegant Ella

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #693 on: March 19, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »
After Patches signed off, Ella took a second flimsy and scribbled on it briefly, then wrote carefully on a third. She put those two in her pocket before burning the sheet she had used during the conversation with Patches.

"Thank you, John," she said, turning to see him staring at his own paper. It looked like gibberish written on it, but Ella thought it was probably a pretty accurate transcription of the dots and dashes that had been transmitted.

"That code sounds weird," he commented.

"It is our most private code. I hope you cannot break it, because if you do, I will have to learn the next most difficult code that Patches knows or can invent."

"I don't think I have a big enough sample to break. It is not a simple substitution code, that I'm sure of. It almost sounded like Morse code turned inside-out with dots for spaces and spaces for dashes."

Bo's arrival with dinner saved Ella from responding to John's accurate guess as to the nature of the code.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #694 on: March 20, 2008, 11:54:12 AM »
The hands that had escorted Ambrose to the Ace of Hearts scattered when they entered the establishment.

All except for Jimmy. The man had not said three words to Ambrose since they’d been introduced and Ambrose had to wonder if he was on a dusty wanted poster somewhere. Marshal Thompson had told him to be very respectful of Johnny Longknife and stay as clear as he could of James Bradbury, Jimmy. Ambrose had not missed the grin when Johnny told Jimmy to take the group to The Ace. His boss had told him Johnny thought of Jimmy as a son and if he had to deal with the man to walk on glass. Jimmy was shorter on temper than Johnny and could be just as mean. A few of Amborse’s friends had some stories bout the two men that raised the hair on his neck. He had to wonder how Fritz King could stand to live with a group like that and was glad he himself was a son of Texas.

The buxom brunette that crossed the room immediately took his mind off of Jimmy. She had the greenest eyes he’d ever seen, a smile that took his breath away, a body that nearly stopped his heart and it was extremely difficult to tear his eyes from what she was, or was not wearing.

“Sugar, it’s always a pleasure.” She said caressing Jimmy’s cheek with what Ambrose observed as a very light touch as she kissed the opposite cheek of the cowboy.

Her voice was like music and she sure seemed to melt that ol’ boys butter instantly. Amborse wondered if he had enough money in his pocket to buy a night with her, who cared about sleep. No wonder his friends had been so jealous when they heard he was coming to El Paso.

“Introduce me to your friend.” Amborse heard her say.

Jimmy laughed. “This here is Deputy Marshal Ambrose Hayes, all the way from Houston.”

“Deputy, all the way from Houston.” She exclaimed as her green eyes flashed with interest. “You come all the way here to see lil ol’ me?” She smiled at him.

Ambrose was at a loss for words and felt like it was the first time he’d ever spoken to a beautiful woman.

“Let me take the pleasure of introducing Mrs. Becca Ross. She’d be the one married to our local US Marshal.” Jimmy said taking a lot of pleasure in the introduction.

Ambrose turned slightly red and fumbled to remove his hat as he realized what Jimmy had said. “Ma’am. It’s nice to meet you. I have a letter from Mrs. Longknife. She said you could put me up for the night.”

Jimmy kissed Becca on the cheek. “Looks like somethin’ is already up.” He chuckled and wandered off.

Ambrose turned redder.

Becca smiled. “Darlin’ don’t mind Jimmy. He’s just havin’ fun at yer expense. He’s harmless.”

“That’s not what I’ve heard.” Ambrose said handing over the letter from Rose.

Becca laughed as she led him to the bar and poured him a drink. “Well I guess it all depends on who you are.” She commented.

“Pardon my asking Ma’am. But yer husband doesn’t mind you working here?”

“This is my place. Since I put on his ring I don’t bed nobody but him. I still enjoy singing and dancing on the stage. Dancin’ with the cowboys, long as they are respectful. If they want more than talk for the evening there are plenty of pretty girls to accommodate then. Ain’t no law against lookin’ is there?” She smiled again.

“No Ma’am.”

Becca read the note. “I’ll have this stuff ready by the time you are ready to leave, we serve breakfast early enough you won’t miss your stage. Hank there will take good care of your horse til you come back to collect him.”

“I’ll be taking my horse rather than the stage.”

“Very well, we will feed him for the night and he’ll be ready to go in the morning when you are. We bill Houston direct for any services you ask for that are approved. Personal business comes outta yer own pocket and the girls know.”

Ambrose couldn’t believe how much he was blushing.

----Tues AM

Ambrose walked down stairs. The place was still hopping but there seemed to be different types of patrons. Business men, Sheriff, even ladies in what was considered the dining room that had a separate entrance than the saloon.

“Morning.” Becca greeted as she poured him a cup of coffee.

“Morning.” He said looking at her. This morning she was dressed more respectfully than the night before. It was looking at a completely different woman, although there were still traces of the bad girl present in her clothing. It was more colorful and low cut than the other women but one would not guess she spent the evenings dressed as she did.

One taste of the food and he knew why the place was packed. He hoped the rest of the day would be as good. Becca handed him a neatly wrapped package. “Give this to Scarlet.” She said.

Ambrose smiled. “I will see she gets it.” 

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #695 on: March 20, 2008, 12:22:40 PM »
When Ella and Bo returned from dinner, she looked around the fire to locate Archie and Perry, as well as Scarlet. It looked like Dick's men mixed in with Cyrus's crew more and more every meal. Dinner was over, so most of the soldiers were gone, getting what sleep they could. Teddy surrendered the seat next to Scarlet when Ella came up. Ella told him quietly, "Keep an eye on Archie and Perry, please." She sat down and pulled two pieces of flimsy out of her pocket. She crumpled one and tossed it casually at the fire, not appearing to notice that it had fallen past the fire, within sight of Archie. The other one she handed to Scarlet.  Scarlet opened it and held the paper close enough to the fire to read

ARCHIE WANTED BY HOUSTON FOR KILLING MARSHAL WITTS.
BOUNTY 1000 ALIVE.
MARSHAL AMBROSE HAYES ARRIVING ON MONDAY TO TAKE CUSTODY.

Scarlet carefully fed the paper to the fire and commented, "Strange for a marshal-killer to be wanted alive."

"Maybe there's a fair amount of uncertainty about whether it was manslaughter or murder or justifiable homicide. A jury will have to decide that. We just have to turn him over to Marshal Hayes to deliver to that courtroom."

"That's a high bounty for someone they aren't sure is guilty. We can just arrest him now and throw him in a cell to wait for Marshal Hayes."

"The cells are all awful full. There have been a lot of soldiers locked up for fighting and drinking," replied Ella doubtfully. "The posse from Omaha ought to get here in a day or two, and once they take Drew and Owen away, there will be space in the cell that I've kind of laid claim to. I just hope the fort commander lets me keep using that cell after those two are gone."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #696 on: March 24, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »
Archie had been watching, just like Scarlet suggested. He waited until the people had nearly all left the campfire before he walked over and picked up the paper Ella had tossed towards it.   

Archie went back to his tent with Perry close on his heals before unfolding the paper.

“Told you those two were up to something.” Archie mumbled as he read what was on the paper.

aj w hstn k ml witts
b 1000 a
ml ambrose hayes rv m tk c

“Yer sure?” Perry questioned looking at it.

“I told you to leave the bounty hunter and her friends alone. We’ve stepped over the line making comments about what we’d like to do to them, now we’ve got their attention in a bad sorta way.”

“What do you make of that?”

“Didn’t you hear them talking about it. A marshal killer. I tol’ you to leave sleeping dogs lie Perry and you and the boys just couldn’t stand being around a couple women.” Archie growled.

Perry glared at him. “Yer the one been cozying up to that bounty hunter, maybe you pushed yer own luck to far.” He spat.

“What are we staying here for Perry. It ain’t safe anymore. There’s gonna be law crawling all over us in the next few days. Witts was a respected man in Houston. Ambrose Hayes was Witt’s predecessor. I don’t know if he’d kill me and claim I tried to run or not.”

Perry grinned. “You sober up right quick when there is danger on yer tail. I remember that’s why I liked you. I want to know what them women know for sure about the BOTH of us.”

The two men gathered their gear and left the tent.

Archie knew Perry was testing him. He’d already spent years proving his skills but if Perry wanted to continue to play the game he would accommodate him.

“I suspect we are gonna leave here in a hurry. Let’s get the horses ready before we go to the camp.” Archie said.

Once the horses were ready the two men staked out Ella’s tent figuring she would put up less of a fight and wasn’t in the middle of a bunch of soldiers like Scarlet.

Archie rather enjoyed the stake out, he was good at it, Perry was impressed with the way he moved and watched. Finally it paid off when Ella got up before sunrise to use the latrine. When she opened the door Archie slid behind her and covered her mouth as he put the gun to her head.

“Don’t scream and don’t fight me and I promise you will not get hurt.” Archie commanded. “Do you promise.”

“As long as you don’t hurt me. What do you want.” Ella said hoping Scarlet was one hundred percent right about Archie.

“I want you to tell me what you know about me and Perry.” He said as he moved her around to the side of the outhouse and out of view. “Don’t stall I know they’ll be looking for you.”

“Let’s just take her and go.” Perry said taking a step closer.

Ella and Perry were both surprised to see the pistol come over Ella’s shoulder and take a bead on Perry’s heart. “I gave my word to her.” Archie growled. “Scarlet won’t worry bout chasin’ us if we go quiet. If we so much as hurt a hair on Ella’s head that bounty hunters gonna forget her rule about wanted dead Perry. I ain’t gonna deal with that.”

Perry stared at Archie. It was amazing what a man fearing for his life would do to the one he viewed as the enemy, Perry liked it.

“You so sure about that Bounty Hunter?”

“I’ve yet to meet a man who wants a vendetta with her.” Archie said his eyes flashing.

Perry raised his hands in a jester that told Archie he was backing down.

“That doesn’t mean I won’t drag you outta here with me if I think you’re lying Ella, I promised you tell me truthful and no harm will come to you.” He softly said. “Now what do you know about the two of us?” He asked hoping if Ella didn’t know much about Perry she’d make something up to at least spook him.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #697 on: March 24, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »
Ella took a deep breath, before replying. "Those back at the office have an old poster for Perry White, also known as Perry Smith, wanted for a bank robbery in Louisiana about 10 years ago. They haven't gotten answers yet about whether he is wanted enough for someone to come up here to collect him. Archie Johnson is wanted for killing a Marshal, and the Houston US Marshals Service office is sending up a whole posse to collect him, Reuben Diaz and Jimmy Washington."

Ella thought that the look of shock on both faces when she said the name "White" was good payment for all the time spent filing Marshal Hart's collection of wanted posters. She had stayed in town the first couple months after signing on with Tensleep, because Mindy's baby was threatening to come early, so she had sat in the Marshals office and pushed papers around. This wasn't the first time that having the wanted posters all sorted and filed had paid off, and it probably wouldn't be the last.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #698 on: March 25, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
Perry was shocked to hear his real name. If they knew who he really was it would make his life most uncomfortable. The US Marshals wouldn’t be able to get here fast enough. Archie had good instincts knowing it was time to leave here.

Archie was grinning on the inside when he heard the name White, if that didn’t make Perry move nothing would have. He wanted to know more about these women deputies, they sure seemed to be persistent on detail. It would be interesting working on the same side with them.

“She knows too much, we should take her with us.” Perry spat.

“She’d slow us down.” Archie replied calmly.

“Nah.” Perry grinned thinking of what he really would like to do with the know too much woman.

“How close are you to Scarlet?” Archie asked Ella.

“Sisters by choice.” Ella replied.

Archie laughed and shook his head back and forth.

“Get the horses Perry, we are leaving here calmly, like it was any other day and we were headed out to hunt.”

“What about the woman?”

“She’s gonna calmly head back to camp like we have never spoken with her. I’d hate to have to shoot her since she’s been so accommodating.” Archie said sternly looking from Perry to Ella then back to Perry. “Now go get the horses we are running out of time.”

Perry ran the short distance where there horses were stashed and fetched them back.

“Mrs. Coatsworth I’d like to meet you in another life. Thank you for being so accommodating. Please remember calmly back to camp and we will be of no further bother to you.” Archie said before letting Ella go and quickly mounting up.

Perry looked puzzled at the fact of leaving Ella standing there but Archie had a reputation of being able to evade the law and he’d so far proven smart when he was on top of his game.

The two moved their horses towards the front gate. Archie was not surprised to pass Scarlet mounted on the black. He was not sure if she’d been out for one of her rides or if she’d also been on her own stake out. He touched the brim of his hat as they rode past, then glanced at Perry as if to say “This would’a been the end of the line with Ella if we had made it this far.”

Perry glanced over his shoulder. He could see Ella back in camp, as could Scarlet. Perry kicked his horse up faster. If Ella screamed they’d never make the gate.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #699 on: March 25, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »
Ella had left the tent to use the latrine, and now she needed to use it again. Once she saw Perry and Archie pass Scarlet, she went back in.

Scarlet was waiting for her when she came out. 

"I am sure glad you are right about Archie! He kept Perry from trying to take me with them because I know too much about him," Ella said. "I never got to tell you all of yesterday's real conversation with Patches.  Ambrose Hayes wanted to know if Archie was close to Perry. When I answered yes and that Archie wanted Perry to skedaddle, the answer was 'Good. Encourage skedaddle.' Ambrose Hayes is really coming here, to talk to us about Perry, so maybe we're going to get the whole story. I asked if he would bring officer dinner clothes for us, and he said he will."

"Is he going to get here before the column moves out?"

"I hope so. He'll be here Monday. The medical team is expecting to move out a week after that."

"That doesn't give us much time to wear extra clothes."

"I figured we can leave the dresses here when we move out, and then we'll have them to wear between the time we get back to the fort and when we get home. My pack animal will have lots of extra space without the medical supplies."
Elegant Ella

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com