Author Topic: 45 ACP cases  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45 ACP cases
« on: September 11, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
Amoungst my souvenirs, I just found a number of steel-NOT ALUMINUM- 45 ACP cases marked E  C  43. Do any of you know anything about them? I understand the "43" as year of manufacture but who is E  C and why were they steel instead of brass?

LTC Montgomery Little
GAF Senior Chaplain

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: 45 ACP cases
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »
I'm gonna guess for the same reason they issued steel pennies?

No idea who the 'EC" headstamp is for.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
E C stood for Evansville Ordnance or Evansville-Chrysler Ordnance.  They made a lot of .45 ACP ammo during World War 2, and yes, the steel was to save brass.  Supposedly, the steel cases were coated with something that made them grip the chamber walls when fired just like brass cases.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:52:30 PM »

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
WOW! You guys are not only fast but plausibly informative.  I believe every word of it! Thanks, now what do I dowith them? They even seem to have original primers intact but no special coating unless it is invisible.

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 10:04:45 PM »
I remember my Dad had several coffee cans full of these back in the '60's.  He bought a 1911 (NOT an A1) and several hundred rounds from the NRA back when you could still order thru the mail w/o FFL.   I used to play with them as a kid... (the ammo, not the pistol).  "American Rifleman" had ads inside the back cover.  Seems to me the cases looked like "galvanized" metal - perhaps zinc?  1943 "steel" pennies were zinc-coated, as well.
Dad sold the Colt to my cousin for a couple hundred dollars...who promptly traded it away for a Colt Python...
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com