Author Topic: My new-to-me Beretta Stampede.  (Read 761 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
My new-to-me Beretta Stampede.
« on: January 15, 2024, 03:44:14 PM »
We had a local gun show this past weekend. It has become most unusual to find a deal at a gun show any more except on a rare occasion. It just so happened I think I found one this past weekend. Awhile back after Beretta acquired Uberti they had Uberti make a Beretta single action. It was called a Beretta Stampede. I had never actually seen much less held one until this past weekend. One of the venders there had one on his table and it was a stainless-steel model that appeared to be unfired. After handling it and talking with the vender for awhile I decided to purchase it. After I got it home, I decided to do a little research on the computer and was pleasantly surprised by what I found out. Although there are some things I would prefer were different about the revolver after handling it they are really not that bothersome. Also, I am of the opinion these are very well-made revolvers, at least the one I now have certainly is. Boy it sure has a nice trigger.

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: My new-to-me Beretta Stampede.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 04:42:34 PM »
Do every thing you can not to break it. The Beretta version is unique to Uberti standard SAA's. A very short production run. Parts are very, very hard to find. Don't treat it as a SASS Speed Wagon.   
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 05:10:13 PM »
Do every thing you can not to break it. The Beretta version is unique to Uberti standard SAA's. A very short production run. Parts are very, very hard to find. Don't treat it as a SASS Speed Wagon.

Thanks Johnson Barr, I don't shoot competition and will take care of it. I will shoot it as I normally don't buy anything I don't intend on shooting some. I can just tell from inspection it is a very nice revolver even though it has a transfer bar which I normally don't care for. It is very smooth and has an extremely good trigger.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:17:25 AM »

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 12:45:21 PM »
Curious, do these guns have "Made by Uberti" marked on them? Heard some misinformation that Uberti only made 'some' parts for Beretta.
SASS #81,827

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 05:56:16 PM »
Curious, do these guns have "Made by Uberti" marked on them? Heard some misinformation that Uberti only made 'some' parts for Beretta.

Yes, it is marked on the bottom of the barrel up against the ejector shroud, A Uberti - Italy

There are no proof marks showing anywhere except on the ratchet end of the cylinder and under the trigger guard.

Also, can anyone tell me what the number represents on the end of the frame located just under the hole the cylinder pin slides into?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 06:42:13 PM »
...Also, can anyone tell me what the number represents on the end of the frame located just under the hole the cylinder pin slides into?
I think it's some kind of catalog number or something.  What number is it?  My two 7 1/2" Model P's that I shot today both have "1520" there.  My other Ubertis are 90 miles away so can't look at them now.

Regarding the hard to find parts that Johnson Barr mentioned.  I'm not positive on details, but when the Stampede first came out it had strange parts in it.  Like the hammer cam and bolt in particular, I think.  Gunsmith friend of mine hated working on it.  But later I think they changed to more standard parts.  Like I said, fuzzy on detail but pulling the grip frame for a look will tell you if you're curious.  Enjoy it!

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 06:23:45 PM »
I think it's some kind of catalog number or something.  What number is it?  My two 7 1/2" Model P's that I shot today both have "1520" there.  My other Ubertis are 90 miles away so can't look at them now.

Regarding the hard to find parts that Johnson Barr mentioned.  I'm not positive on details, but when the Stampede first came out it had strange parts in it.  Like the hammer cam and bolt in particular, I think.  Gunsmith friend of mine hated working on it.  But later I think they changed to more standard parts.  Like I said, fuzzy on detail but pulling the grip frame for a look will tell you if you're curious.  Enjoy it!

Abilene, my number is 13743. The build date on this revolver is BU which puts it at 2004. I have a stainless Cimarron Evil Roy I purchased about 4 months ago and the number on it is 13728 which puts it only 15 numbers apart. The Evil Roy was built in 2022 but has a number that is 15 numbers lower than the Beretta Stampede and is 15 years newer. I would have thought the number on the Evil Roy would have been higher and not lower since it was made 15 years later. And their closeness is surprising as well.

I have had the back strap and trigger guard off when I installed the faux ram horn grips. The bolt looked pretty normal. I noticed the transfer bar was attached to the hammer in a method similar to how the hand is attached, but much lower on the hammer. As the hammer is drawn back the transfer bar rises. The transfer bar if I remember correctly obscured my view of the bolt hammer cam. It did already have a wire trigger/bolt spring and not a flat one. It also has the newer hand spring that comes through the small hole in the frame. I really like this revolver over the Ruger Vaquero because it is timed so the bolt drops in the proper place on the cylinder and doesn't leave a drag line.

I still haven't had the opportunity to get to the range so I don't know how it shoots, but if it shoots as well as it looks and feels, I think I am really going to like this revolver and I didn't think I would ever say that about a revolver with a transfer bar. We shall see.

I did once have an original Vaquero that shot extremely well but had a brain fart and traded it because of the transfer bar.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 09:02:51 PM »
I don't think those numbers have anything to do with age.  I just checked my other 3 Cimarrons.  A very recent Pistoleer (all blued frame, nickle grip frame) has 1521.  A Thunderer that is probably 25 years old or so has 8270, and a Model P that is at least 20 yrs old has no number at all there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com