Author Topic: Got a Remington Roller with crappy barrel--What caliber to convert to?  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Troops:

I was given a 7mm rolling block carbine by a friend a few years back.  The inside of the barrel looks like a cave.  :P  

My dream is to re-stock it with nice wood and re-barrel it to a different caliber.
I would like some serious suggestions.
I AM NOT PLANNING ON USING IT FOR GAF COMPETITIONS.

Stock plan---Maybe a Tree Bone Carving stock with pistol grip stock.  It has the straight stock now.
Any other idees?

Barrel plan---Possibly an older caliber that I can shoot cast bullets out of for long range shooting. Nothing smaller than .30 caliber, though.

Sight plan---High quality long range peep that is traditional type

I would like some thoughts on this venture.

I want to treat myself to something nice as a coming home gift.

Ltc (bvt) Mustang Gregg
Nebraska Territory
Currently in Afghanistan
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carbines tend to bring better prices than similar rifles. If the carbine's external condition is in good condition I would  either restore it or try to sell it. If you sold it you could then acquire a nice used rolling block action .The stock idea you have is great. The lower tang would have to be bent and possibly the hammer spring modified or replaced. From what I hear Treebone makes some nice stocks. With the modified tang for a pistol grip you may require a custom made stock.

As for caliber, either 38-55, 40-65 or 45-70 would meat your needs.

A good tang sight is almost a must. There are some excellent ones ($$$) on the market and also some real junk. A Soule type is probably the best if you plan on shooting a some significant distances. You would probably want to install a hooded front sight that can use multiple inserts.

Green Mountain makes good barrels for black powder cartridge rifles. There are other reputable manufacturers.

The American Single Shot Rifle Assoc. fourms http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl is a good place to ask questions and do research.

Hope you get home soon and can start this project!!

Col Bull

Keep us posted on your progress.
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
Thanky, Bull!

If there is any value to the roller, I'd probably best sell it.  I never figured there was much.
I really rather have a falling block or a Sharps anyway.  So I'll check into that avenue.

I know a roller is strong, but not really a "pretty" rifle to my way of thinking.

Respectfully,
Mustang Gregg
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Advertising

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Just a note of possible interest about 7mm Rolling Blocks: They may show excessive headspace, regardless of the condition of the barrel. The reason is NOT due to excessive loads, etc.  When American ammo makers "brought" the 7x57mm cartridge over here, somehow the specs for headspace got shortened over the specs in Europe.  The result is if you shoot U.S. made 7x57 cartridges in most (maybe not all) 7mm Rollers, the cases will stretch. Not enough to create a dangerous condition with head separations, etc., but if you go to reload the brass, and resize it back to U.S. standard, pretty soon you will stretch the brass. Best thing is to back the sizer die out until you can just chamber the case, or (2) neck size only, or (3) form the cases from something longer, such as 8x57 or .30-06, etc.  While the 7mm Roller is a stronger action, I wouldn't heat the rounds up all that much, and watch out for the case heads to bend slightly due to the breech block rotating back a bit, regardless of how tight the action might be.

As to what to rebarrel it to, it depends on what you want to do to it.  If you want a medium bore, you might consider .30-40 Krag, .38-55, .40-65 WCF, or .45-70.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Just my personal thoughts,... but If I already had a 30-40 Krag I'd set it up for that,.....KIS  (Keep It Simple)
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Is having it rebarreled in 7 X 57 an option?  Keep it looking like the same cavalry carbine.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
A lot depends on what you might use the gun for. If there's a chance you might use it for hunting then .45-70 is the way to go. If just for fun plinking or killing targets then any light caliber will do.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
A lot depends on what you might use the gun for. If there's a chance you might use it for hunting then .45-70 is the way to go. If just for fun plinking or killing targets then any light caliber will do.

Sure, you can rebarrel it to 7x57, but chamber it for SAAMI standard. (I don't advocate that cartridge as the perfect one for hunting everything, but remember that Karamojo Bell killed a bunch of elephants with a 7x57! Bullet placement is the key.  But, I think I'd go for either .30-40 Krag or .45-70.  Just MHO
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
Well, ain't no hurry on it.  I have 2 months left here in KAF.
I really don't want a carbine.  I have a nice enough '96 Krag.

I want a rifle-length cast bullet shooting long range gun that will never be used in a GAF Muster competition.
So I will probably sell the roller and look around for a Sharps-type rifle or a falling block to build something.
If it turns out looking like Schutzen, that might be okay too.   :o

Muchas gracias,
Mustang Gregg
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
My original military 1879 Argentine Roller full length Musket is fun.

I have grown partial to the 43 spanish cartridge and it does a great job when I do mine!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Got a Remington Roller with crappy barrel--What caliber to convert to?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
I have a Roller in ".43 Spanish" as well - and found there are TWO different ones: the "regular" (11.15x58R) and the "Reformado" (11.5x57R).  Turned out, mine was the latter.  The Reformado is called ".43 Spanish", but actually has a .454" bore, and the "regular" .43 is .439 bore.  Even MORE bizarre is that a "regular" .43 Spanish necked up to .454 cal is a "44-77 Remington" (or 2 1/4" Sharps necked - the original metallic cartridge for Sharps).  I had suffered split cases and terrible accuracy until I did a chamber cast found what was amiss.  Reloading dies had to be obtained from 4D ($$$) and with the right size boolits, it shoots tolerably well.

The Reformado has only a slight "neck" - more like a taper.  Military rounds for this cartridge were brass-jacketed, which in the tropical climate of Cuba and Philippines, corroded with verdigris, and led the Americans to believe the Spanish were using "poisoned bullets" (or so the story goes...).

Speaking of "Schuetzen"... As a winter project, I purchased a "rollover cheekpiece" stock for my H&R Buffalo Classic (I know, not PC, but...), hacked at that with a rasp and drawknife (modern stocks don't have enough "perch belly", unfortunately), added a Pope-style hooked buttplate and scroll triggerguard (courtesy Track of the Wolf), an old Dixie "Swiss Diopter" tang sight I had laying around, and made my own palmrest, and came up with a not-so-bad "schueten-ish" target rifle.  I wouldn't be too keen on shooting an old-style 100-shot match at "40 rods" with a .45-70 with an iron buttplate . . .

. . . anyone know where I can find one of the old H&R "Target Classic" .38-55 barrels???  They quit making/selling them 6 or 7 years ago.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Got a Remington Roller with crappy barrel--What caliber to convert to?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »
I completely missed the point of the OP - and I agree with Bull Schmidt.  I particularly like the 40-65.  I believe Steve Garbe won several National BPCR matches with that cartridge - in a Rolling Block.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com