Author Topic: 2008 GAF Grand Muster Photos  (Read 65170 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 2008 GAF Grand Muster Photos
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »
General Scout was planning on attending this year but work got in the way.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Charles B Gatewood

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 06:58:12 PM »
Great pictures!!!
Wish I could have been there.
Your Obedient Servant,
Lt. C.B. Gatewood

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »
Wish I could have been there.

Start planning for next year.

I can assure you that I already have!

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:14:35 AM »

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 11:02:15 PM »
YES!!! Please start planning for next year as we need some fresh blood on the firing line ( no pun intended, especially after being hit 6-7 times with lead splatter and shot).  Some candidates from the DelMarVa area would be appreciated. Looking forward to seeing the General next year. He will fall in love with Fort Hartsuff. Just to think of sleeping in the same bunk as an 1880s soldier was enough to keep me awake the first night (that and Delmonico's Turkish coffee).

Col. Pitsptr, I shall endeavor to follow your suggestion and come up with a Lt. Col. dress uniform  but after much thought, it may be that of a Staff Chaplain.  Do you have any suggestions as to where I can research such a uniform?

The stars at 4:00 AM at Fort Hartsuff are every bit as beautiful as at Garnett, KS or here at home in Carthage, MO. The Lord's creation looks great no matter where you view it from.

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2008, 05:47:13 AM »
Gripmaker - the Quartermaster Shop has a Civil War era chaplain uniform.

It looks pretty nice - hope they had a summer time uniform or relaxed allowances for the heat.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 06:24:49 AM »
YES!!! Please start planning for next year as we need some fresh blood on the firing line ( no pun intended, especially after being hit 6-7 times with lead splatter and shot). 

Col. Pitsptr, I shall endeavor to follow your suggestion and come up with a Lt. Col. dress uniform  but after much thought, it may be that of a Staff Chaplain.  Do you have any suggestions as to where I can research such a uniform?

:o YOU GOT HIT WITH THAT MUCH SPLASH!?  :o I thought as far away as I had most of the targets nobody would have to worry about splash. At least we can rest assured that the splash wasn't from a Kansas Marine. Their bullets had a hard time just getting to the target.  ;D

I don't consider myself an expert on officers uniforms by any means, but since they were private purchased you should have a little more latitude. Probably the first place I would check is with St. George. Army Blue and More Army Blue are pretty good books on uniforms.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 09:49:50 AM »
To reduce splachback from the targets, you might try to angle them down abit more than they were.  I didn'tlook at your stands real close soI don't knowhoweasy that will be.  I think alot ofthe splash was going off to the sides  and could still travle a god ways instead of being difected down into the dirt in front of the tarets. 
We've had very little problem withour targets that are angled down/ forward but the ones we have that are more straight tend to have more lead coming backat us on ocasion.
Just some personal observations.  your results may vary. 
a great shoot alltogether.  I'm looking forward to more pictures.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 04:46:49 PM »
Anyone from the NorVA/MD crowd who might like to plan a road trip next year?

Don't know right now, we'll have to wait and see, but I know I'd like to go.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 05:33:51 PM »
I stayed up late last night playing with some of the pictures and my photo program, still got some more learning to do, but here is what I did:

Removed a couple of things in this one, a digital camera and two Pepsi bottles: ;)

This one kinda looks like one of those hand tinted post cards, if any one wants a post card of Oscar makin' hash:

Thought this one would make a good Stereo-Scope View:

perhaps with a pitcure of Dewey's fleet and the blown up Maine.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 11:16:55 PM »
Col. Pitsptr,  Yep,  I sure did get hit that many times but mostly when the foragers were shooting shotguns against bowling pins. Apparently the surface sealant was "holding" the shot just long enough that when the pins spun on the ground, the shot was "flung" (MO word) in all directions. Had a few red spots on my tummy when I got back to the wife in Ioway. Her remarks were not those that would elicit joy in the heart of the walking wounded (nor were the snickers appreciated). I noticed that River City John must have taken a hit as he had a blood spot between his eyes after Sat. stages.

Was researching Chaplain uniforms today and found that they were basically the same from 1861-1880 and that, although not really military personnel, Chaplains were paid at the rank of Cavalry Captain. Some apparently took acception to this as they joined the regular service and one rose to the rank of Major General. Bad enough to drop from CSA Brigadier to US Lt. Col. but then to drop even further to US Capt.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »
Bad enough to drop from CSA Brigadier to US Lt. Col. but then to drop even further to US Capt.

William McCall dropped from Brigadier to 1st Sgt., so you aren't so bad off ;)

You must be a lead magnet. You're the reason I wear "space glasses" as Ottawa Creek Bill calls them. We were standing visiting at Garnett in 2005 when you caught one in the neck that drew blood.

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »
Yep...and put me to the ground with one of the ladies making enough noise to gather a crowd.  It must be paybacks for military
time. Never shot at once as even the NVA, KR and CNA like to know locations before unloading SAF or Arty. Absolute concealment  is 90% of coming home in the LRPC game.

Victory is not about dieing for your country. It is about making the enemy die for his...and in great numbers.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2008, 10:59:29 AM »
Perhaps GAF needs some Purple Hearts. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2008, 02:24:20 PM »
Perhaps GAF needs some Purple Hearts. ;)

Military did not award Purple Hearts in our era. The badge that was displayed was called a scar.

Besides, if getting hit with splatter warrants recognition, might as well just automatically pass it out to everyone. :D

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2008, 09:13:44 AM »
Was researching Chaplain uniforms today and found that they were basically the same from 1861-1880 and that, although not really military personnel, Chaplains were paid at the rank of Cavalry Captain. Some apparently took acception to this as they joined the regular service and one rose to the rank of Major General. Bad enough to drop from CSA Brigadier to US Lt. Col. but then to drop even further to US Capt.

Larry,

I haven't pulled our my post-CW regs, but a quick bit of research on chaplain's uniforms of the War of Unpleasantness revealed that Confederate chaplains had no regulation uniform.  A chaplain of the 4th Texas was observed in September 1861 wearing a single-breasted military style black frock coat with brass buttons and black trousers.  The coat had an "olive branch" in green braid on the cuffs.  No other ornamentation.   Union chaplains also wore a plain black frock coat (civilian or military style) with plain black buttons and black trousers.  However, some wore uniforms of their own design to include shoulder straps and even swords (one chaplain was killed by a Confederate who thought he was a combatant because of his sword). 

Secondly, I wouldn't worry overmuch what rank you wear (or don't wear).  I have several uniforms in various ranks from 1st Lt through Brig Gen - some for shooting and some for fancy affairs.  I've been hankering after an NCO of light artillery uniform mostly because I like the look of the red on the blue (and also because I was once a sergeant and I've served with the artillery - though not at the same time).  This is a hobby, so enjoy yourself. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2008, 10:49:09 PM »

Sir: I totally concur that this is a hobby and I shall continue to thoroughly enjoy every bit of it. However, since ministry has been my main occupation for more than 34 years, I want to make the best of it. Have even entertained the thought of volounteering for the position of Cheif of Chaplains for GAF and am interested in any other ministers who would be willing to join the ranks.
Your thoughts on this proposal would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 06:38:51 AM »
Gripmaker,

I can't speak for GAF or it's members but I thnk having a chief of Chaplians is a great idea not just for GAF but for Cowboy Action Shoting in general.  And I will add that after getting a chance to meet you in person at the muster yb\ou would be the right person for the job, though it does seam that your a man of many talants.

Around hear and I think in most parts of the country the Cowboy Action events take place on Sunday and many of us miss out on our regular churchin' because of it. 
For myself, I feel closest to our creator when outside in all that he created and enjoying our freadoms with good friends, but a bit of the gospel and it's meassage to go with all that would be nice to ad. 

Especially at multi day events it would be nice for a match dirrector to know who theymight be able to ask to give a short blessing to the event or even a short service before saftey meetings and such.

I wnated to offer somthing on the Sunday morning of a recend 2-day we had but felt out of my element to lead.
A list or directory or even those in your profession making themselves known if they would be willing to the match directors would be a great idea and might serve to remind us all just how blessed we are. 

Again,
Just some of my random thoughts

Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 10:43:44 AM »

BVW,  Thank you for your thoughts. There's nothing like a little enthusiasm/encouragement to get a ball rolling. Think I'll just start a new post asking for volounteers for the Chaplaincy Corps but will wait for permission from HQ first.

God Bless and shoot safe, Y'all.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »
Here are some photo's I received today from Lt. Col. Dusty Tagalon

If anybody got some pictures of the previous winners of the Iron trooper I sure would like to see them.

Commisary Dept Chief  (or Chef) Delmonico

Inside the barracks

Inspection

Participants of the 2008 Grand Muster

Col. Pitspitr congratulates 2008 Iron Trooper Col. Rattlesnake Jack Robson

Department of the Missouri Staff Personel
Back row l to r Lt. Col. Shalako Al Division of Iowa; Lt. Col. Guns Garrett Division of Kansas; Lt. Col. Montegomery Little Division of Missouri; Lt. Col. Kit Peak Kid Division of South Dakota; Front Row l to r: Lt. Col. Scooter Division of Texas;  Sgt. Major Texas Sarge; Col. Pitspitr, Department Commander; Lt. Col. Dusty Tagalon Department Chief of Staff; Lt. Col. Cherry Lake Jake Division of Minnesota

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »
Here are some photo's I received today from Lt. Col. Dusty Tagalon

Department of the Missouri Staff Personel
Back row l to r Lt. Col. Shalako Al Division of Iowa; Lt. Col. Guns Garrett Division of Kansas; Lt. Col. Montegomery Little Division of Missouri; Lt. Col. Kit Peak Kid Division of South Dakota; Front Row l to r: Lt. Col. Scooter Division of Texas; Lt. Col. Guns Garrett Division of Kansas; Sgt. Major Texas Sarge; Col. Pitspitr, Department Commander; Lt. Col. Guns Garrett Division of Kansas; Lt. Col. Dusty Tagalon Department Chief of Staff; Lt. Col. Cherry Lake Jake Division of Minnesota

Boy - that Guns Garrett is sure a popular Trooper!  And he looks different in each picture!  :o

;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com