Author Topic: Norinco 1897 Shotgun (Firing Pin)  (Read 655 times)

Offline Gemlin

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Norinco 1897 Shotgun (Firing Pin)
« on: July 16, 2023, 05:04:05 PM »
Today I had the misfortune of having the tip of my firing pin snap off.

I have searched the internet looking for a replacement firing pin, however I can not find one that matches the Norinco 97 firing pin. The Norinco one has a shelf that supports a spring near the tip. I assume its there so that the firing pin is forced back and not truely free floating.

Does anyone know, if I order a Winchester firing pin will it work? I would install the pin WITHOUT the spring and with the firing pin toggle, it should force the pin back every time you pump the gun to the rear. Winchesters do not have the spring and the chinese basically copied the winchester. My experience so far is all winchester parts fit the norinco gun. (I've replaced the shell stops, the extractor hook (frame mount), springs, the extractor on left and right side of the bolt. All these were with winchester parts).

Offline Gemlin

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Norinco 1897 Shotgun (Firing Pin)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 10:33:21 AM »
I did a bunch of research since I posted this topic.

I believe the Winchester pins would work with the norinco guns, however the pin's for the norinco's are different than the winchesters.

I did contact Classic Old West Arms and he actually had the Norinco pins in stock. I elected not to take any chances and ordered (2) pins from him for my norinco. (I wanted a spare pin just on the chance I break another pin.) Took approximately twenty years to break my first pin and I believe if I bought (2) pins, I'll never have any broken pin problems again.

Murphy's Law, if you have a spare, it won't break. You will just break the part that you don't have a spare for.

Offline Gunner.cgn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 03:23:58 PM »
Nice, I like a happy ending.   Cheers!

P.S. Never had a problem with my Norc.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:38:51 PM »

Offline Gemlin

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 06:32:00 PM »
I've shot "a lot" of rounds out of mine. I've had to replace the magazine spring, shell stop springs, extractors on the bolt (Both left and right), the spring on the right ejector, and the frame mounted ejector. I think I even had to replace the right shell stop. Not that the guns bad, but I use it "a lot".

I've known others who had to replace the hook screw because it can snap if you run the gun hard. (I have a spare).

Over all I like the gun, its not the guns fault that parts break or get worn out. Nature of CAS is that we run them hard. I think everyone I know has broken the frame ejector spring more than once. (Don't load the gun sideways, the rim of the shell can catch the spring and break it.). heh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com