Author Topic: New Member, new'ish Spencer 56-50  (Read 1435 times)

Offline spencerhutc

• Citizen
    • Sheepdog Supplies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
New Member, new'ish Spencer 56-50
« on: June 01, 2022, 04:02:49 PM »
My name is Spencer, and after owning a gun store for almost 20 years I finally bought an estate lot with an 1865 Spencer Carbine in it. This is the first black powder firearm I've ever owned. I did enough black powder with my dad back when I was a child to stay away from the stuff for almost 50 years. Anyway the 1865 Spencer I got was 80% steel in the white and 20% rust. I boiled off the rust with many, many passes in the pot and at the carding wheel. I did a couple of passes of American Rust Blue to give the old smoke pole some protection but let it keep the old gun look to match the original wood.

This gun is numbers matching with many small parts and the wood stamped with the number "17". The bore looks to be shootable, with decent rifling present and a few minor pits. There is a minor ~.016 bulge near the end of the barrel just past the front sight. All of the original parts were in serviceable condition.

I intend on loading Starline cases with 350gr bullets and Trail Boss starting at 5gr and working up to around 7gr unless someone has some better advise. I'd like to avoid black powder if at all possible. If I have to use black powder I will. This gun is going to get shot.

I'm looking for a center fire breech block as S&S and Buffalo Arms are both out of stock. If anyone has a spare, please let me know.
Pictures or it didn't happen . . .

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New Member, new'ish Spencer 56-50
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 11:23:41 AM »
I use 8.5gr’s of Unique in my Spencer carbines and have shot thousands of rounds with no problems.

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99699
  • NCOWS #: 3836
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 162
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 08:50:57 PM »
Trailboss is not an acceptable substitute for Black Powder. The pressure curves are significantly different.

Back in the day were you and your dad shooting real BP or Pyrodex? Pyrodex is very corrosive and require immediate and very through cleaning of firearms loaded with it.

Real BP or a BP substitute like Americam Pioneer Powder is not nearly as corrosive. They are also a lot easier to clean.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:11:25 PM »

Offline spencerhutc

• Citizen
    • Sheepdog Supplies
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 08:55:15 AM »
Back in the old days we used real black powder. I have  little enough time left on this planet to mess about cleaning guns shot with smokeless powder let alone black powder. I'll do it if I have to, but I prefer not to. I'd always rather be shooting or even loading ammo than cleaning.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 05:23:37 PM »
The Spencer is a lot easier to clean than a front stuffer. Flip it over and tilt it 45 degrees or so. The fouling and nasty water will run out the top as you push patches down the bore. Even with a rough bore it will clean up pretty quick. Just be careful not to get any water down the magazine tube, and oil the inside of the mag when you oil everything else. Otherwise the magazine will rust into one very difficult to disassemble mess. Have fun with your Spencer! Looks like a good one.

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 07:35:08 AM »
Cleaning is just not hard at all, and takes so little time. Use the holy black. The aversion to cleaning BP is a mindset thing- so much easier with a breechloader, and one could argue easier than cleaning up after smokeless, since the harshest solvent needed is water.
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Offline spencerhutc

• Citizen
    • Sheepdog Supplies
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 11:42:58 AM »
My centerfire breech block is finally here. Now to get some brass, dies, bullets, and I'll get some black powder. What grade of black powder is appropriate for this gun?

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 04:30:18 PM »
I would recommend Swiss blackpowder, as it is cleaner burning and packs more punch.  2Fg as first choice.  3Fg as second choice.

When You get to the test shooting; if the bulge near the muzzle affects accuracy I would've had the barrel counter-bored from the muzzle on a lathe instead of cutting off the bulged part.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Online Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 09:41:58 AM »
FYI the Starline .56-50 cases are reportedly made with slightly different dimensions for the reproductions and might not work well in an original.  You have a couple different options which have been discussed throughout this forum, but I'm linking to this thread because it includes a clever method of modifying the repro-style cases for an original.  See reply #7 here:  https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=67360.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com