Author Topic: Taylors Old Model grip swap question  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Flatlander55

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taylors Old Model grip swap question
« on: December 26, 2021, 09:13:26 PM »
Good evening,

Today I committed to a purchase off Gunbroker for a 4.75" Taylors (Uberti) old model four screw, thin sight blade, donut ejector rod SAA   ;D. I would like to swap out the one piece walnut grip for a set of reproduction "Eagle" grips that have the Colt pony on them. I know, nothing exciting but the bone grips just don't do it for me. I don't want to go for the cheapest route, I want the ones that are the best, most accurate reproduction that even when filed to fit the frame would still blend well. In the past I purchased a set of el-cheap-o Triple K eagle grips and when I filed them the area I took down turned white, standing out enough to where I just went back to the factory wood. I know I won't get true gutta percha or hard rubber grips, but does anybody here have a set of the polymer 1st Generation eagle grips form the River Junction Trading Company? Visually, they look fantastic but I am hesitant to buy a set from a picture. I know I would have to buy the screw and escutcheons as well but that is no big deal. No other company seem to have a viable repro from what I have found but if there are others I am more than open to look.

Thanks in advance.

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Taylors Old Model grip swap question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 02:57:09 PM »
I have no experience with the reproduction Colt grips... real Colt grips often times are too short to fit the Italian reproduction saa back strap...what I mean is real Colt saa hard rubber grips will sit back from edges of bottom of back strap approx 30-50 thousands of an inch.

You also might need to drill a hole in the trigger guard metal to drive in a pin to hold the 2 pce grips on gun.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 02:32:34 PM »
Bad Bob is correct,,But!! it is an easy fix,,Put the colt grips on and just file the frame down flush with the grip panels,,Then reblue the bare steel .  A few tips before doing this,,Deepen the slot in the screw head before filing the bottom of grip strap because you will also be filing down the head of the screw at the same time,,Also you will need to drill a hole for the grip pin ,,just put one grip on and mark the trigger guard strap in proper place,, If after  putting pin in and if you notice any play in the grip you can fix that with a drop of bedding compound in the grip pin hole,,I have replaced the one piece grips on several of my Uberti revolvers with the colt black eagle grips this way.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:21:12 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com