Author Topic: Locking guns on a cart  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Hambone Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Locking guns on a cart
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »
What are some of the ways you lock your weapons when in the range cart?
I could see running a cable lock thru the trigger guards but what do you on an open action Sharps or RB?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Locking guns on a cart
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 06:09:12 PM »
Hmmm... Never tried it. I figure the safest place to have your guns sitting around is at a shoot.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »
My Good Hambone -

I have been cogitating along the same lines as yourself.

It is unfortunate, but it is so easy to let the mind stray, and with everyone's eyes on the firing line
or their own "stuff" they are fiddling with, a casual snatch might be easily accomplished.

In this day and age, gypsies and recalcitrant's are everywhere looking for opportunities.
With that in mind, an easily locked bar like this:

ought to be easy to construct.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:55:43 PM »

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:35:42 PM »

I used a 1/2" rod of steel covered with a piece of garden hose.  The ends of the rod are turned to receive pad locks...like luggage locks.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »
What are some of the ways you lock your weapons when in the range cart?
I could see running a cable lock thru the trigger guards but what do you on an open action Sharps or RB?

I've never seen the need. IMNSHO, If you are attending matches where this might be a concern, you're going to the wrong matches.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 12:25:55 PM »
Here in the Great White North, the need is political, I'm afraid.  Unless I'm all wet, the law here in Canada prohibits you to have firearms unattended without proper security.  If your guns and ammo are in your cart, and you are in the middle of a stage, your gun cart is considered unattended.  In all my years, I have never been challenged on this, but I would not want the opportunity to be making case law.
The other need is for our annual display of CAS at our gun show.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
Living on the north side of the DMZ myself, I'm curious as to the section of the Criminal Code that says unattended guns on a cart are a violation.

I just returned from the range where I 'owned' the place - not a soul on the property besides me. This is not an uncommon thing any given morning during the week. With me were my Tavor and AR15, the former non-restricted, the latter restricted. For the benefit of this who live south of the DMZ, that means one can go anywhere you can take a hunting rifle, the other must be registered, transported as a handgun and discharged only on an "approved range".

Club policy requires locking the gate behind you, but people can and have walked under the gate from the highway. Some are members who have forgotten their gate key, others not.

I walked out to 200m several times to patch paper and paint steel over a two hour period. On every occasion my firearms were "unattended" by any definition. My only option would have been to apply trigger locks, put them in locked cases and lock my vehicle each and every time I went downrange.

I have also had occasion to leave my .44 M29 (and other handguns) "unattended" when going downrange to score and/or patch. Any shooter NOT going down range could scoop a gun and be gone in the time it would take for me to come back from 100m.

We have tried to convince our Exec that the only safe place for a handgun is in a holster, but the only people who can do so are the IPSC/IDPA/CAS shooters and those who have been checked out as "holster certified". On the 500m rifle range (the only range where you can shoot past 100m), holsters are not allowed - period.

It has also been decreed that NO mags may be carried (loaded or unloaded) in a "SAFE" area, unless it is at a sanctioned match.
It it's a practice or club level shoot, the rule applies.  It has yet to be determined how that will apply to a CAS shooter with 25 rds on his belt and a bandolier of 12 ga shells.

IPSC says that NO live ammo or dummies may be handled in a "SAFE" area. Empty mags may be inserted to drop test, etc.

Local rules aside, when the law requires more restrictive measures, I think there will be many guilty of violations in the name of common sense and efficiency. Bad law will encourage people to shoot on Crown land or private property instead of an "approved range".

At any CAS event I have attended, I have been very casual about leaving my long guns in my cart "unattended" during breaks, but either lock up my handguns or wear them, depending upon the level of paranoia of the host club.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com