Author Topic: Shoulder Holster For CCW  (Read 13120 times)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
Re: Shoulder Holster For CCW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
I have one i got for using while horse back. I would like to point out if you decide to use a shoulder rig. That some of the shorter barreled revolvers are butt heAvy. A proper hammer loop or safty strap shoild be included on the leather. This will assure when you bend forward that it doesn't fall out. I ended up modifing mine for that reason.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
I am not now, nor have I ever been a LEO! However, I have been making holsters professionally for nearly 40 years. I have NOT gotten involved in equipment for LEO's; that is NOT my area of expertise. HOWEVER, I have made gear for hunters and outdoor sportspeople, packing heavy handguns. Early on, I ran a variety of tests on rigs for heavy handguns (being anything 35 oz and up), testing the differences between shoulder and belt rigs. This included checking heart rates and blood pressure on treadmills, as well as fatigue experienced by various hunters with both types of rigs. In every instance, the shoulder holster was markedly worse in terms of its effects on the body! I once made two rigs for a friend who happened to be a Professional Hunter in Africa, to hold his scope-mounted Freedom Arms .454 Casull revolver, which weighed in at 4-1/2lbs. I made the shoulder rig first, at his request, but then made a belt rig for crossdraw. He took both to Africa with him. When he returned, he said he couldn't believe how much lighter and easier to wear the belt rig was! The problem is that the human torso is a flexible "T" and no matter how you strap up a shoulder holster, even with off-side straps, magazine pouches, cartridge loops, etc., the weight of a heavy gun still causes the wearer's muscles to tense unconsciously, resulting in fatigue. The pelvis and legs, OTOH, are the main weight-bearing structures in the body, and near the center-of-gravity. Supported on a 2 to 2-1/2" belt and you get the best possible weight distribution. True, concealing a large handgun with a belt hoslter may not be easy, but you pays your money and takes your choice.  Best of luck.
Your obedient servant,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »
Just my experience, shoulder holsters get old after about 4 hours of wear.  I carried a compact 1911 in .45 ACP in one, my shoulders were sore at the end of the day.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:37:37 AM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
Cross Draw belt rig and a trench coat, probably works really well in Seattle, maybe not so much in Phoenix in July.  Small of back and a Hawaiian shirt works OK
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com