Author Topic: Shot my 1911 Today  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shot my 1911 Today
« on: August 29, 2004, 12:38:04 PM »
I dug my 1911 (it's a 45 ACP) out of the safe this week and updated the front sight with one with a fiber optic insert.  Got it sighted in and shot Roundabout (one of the steel challenge stages).  My runs were about .75 faster with that than with my cowboy guns.  And I haven't shot it in over a year!

Sure was a heck of a lot of fun to dig that old workhorse out of the safe and get it going again.

Doc

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Shot my 1911 Today
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 03:04:09 PM »
The 1911 is a great platform. The only auto I own in fact! Have you ever shot a Wild Bunch match with your 1911? I've never had a chance and I haven't even heard of such a match getting planned around here.

Are your times the result of prior practice and muscle memory or do you think you can just shoot the 1911 faster than your cowboy guns?

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 03:14:34 PM »
In this case it was nothing but the better sight picture.  I have thousands more rounds out of my Vaqueros than I do out of my 1911, so it wouldn't be muscle memory or anything like that.  The sight picture with that big Bomar in back and the fiber optic up front sure makes it easy to get on target quickly.  And gives you a ton of confidence that you'll hit the target.

Now I gotta go clean it  :o

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:52:05 AM »

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 02:32:03 AM »
Sights!  I agree.  I shoot pins with a custom Colt myself.  The 1911 simply follows through naturally.  I find accuracy is as easy as pointing.  I am experimenting with 3 line sights.  Have you tried them?

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 10:48:12 AM »
I had 3 dot sight on the gun when I bought it orginially.  I hated the dots on the back!  They made me lazy.  I'd line up the dots and forget the rest of the sight picture.  The problem with this is that they were the  wrong height.  I was shootin low every time.  If the rear sight had been adjustable for elevation, I might have been able to make it work.

Doc

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 09:12:37 AM »
I dug my 1911 (it's a 45 ACP)

Pard, is there any other kind of 1911????    :D
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Tascosa

• Very Active Citizen
  • Amarillo, Texas-The heart of cattle country
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 02:59:55 PM »
Since I partially retired from LE I bought myself a retirement gift. A Colt Combat Commander, 45 ACP naturally!
Next to my SA Colts, I purely love that pistol!!
Shoot it better than I ever could shoot my SW mod. 4596 that I carried on duty for almost 10 years.
Tascosa
Ex-feedlot cowboy (ret)
Ex-cowboy (ret)
Ex-Sheriff's Sgt. (ret)
Ex-Chief of Police (ret)
BOLD 476

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 03:25:29 PM »
General Lew,  the Texas Rangers ran 38 Super 1911s for years.  9MM is a good modern chambering too.  A friend has one chambered for 9MM Largo.  The 45 ACP is the standard though.  460 Rowland and 50 AE are out there too.

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 04:56:08 AM »
Gee, Doc, do you think that not having to pull a hammer back on the 1911 just might have something to do with being faster with it?   ;)

Seems to me that if a person is proficient with both types of firearms, the simple mechanics of firing a 1911 would make it faster.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 02:45:28 PM »
Doc, now your weak hand thumb is going to go all lazy and week, shoot that auto loader too much and you will have to develop special exersizes fer it.  ;D
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Stoney Creek

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 02:20:50 PM »
Howdy Doc

I have been shooting my 1911(45acp) recently because I have just completed the "Black Badge" course which is what you have to do if you want to shoot IPSC here in Canada.
 One must pass a two day shooting test of IPSC exercises, a written test(and score better than 90%)and shoot an  IPSC match sucessfully.(no DQ) I just did that on Sunday, Oct 17/04.

After 12 years as a SASS shooter I am luke warm to IPSC but more shooting is good. Read somewhere that you were in a rut and Brian Enos' book helped. I keep going back to this book when I feel the same and it helps every time.

I run indoor CAS shoots here in a SASS affiliated club. In a previous e-mail to you I mentioned that we ran a couple of "Timewarp" matches..... IPSC VS Cowboys in a one on one.... as close as we could come to the EOT shoot offs....falling plate to determine winner. The local IPSC crowd don't want to play anymore. They were very suprised.
The next step for us is to try Western 3Gun and let the IPSC folks shoot" Eastern 2Gun" IPSC pistol and a shotgun.

Because of the Gov. up here anything we can do get shooters together is positive.

Sorry for the ramble

regards Stoney

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 06:12:26 AM »
Stoney:
Are you fellers allowed the 14 round Para Ord mags? 
Hell, they're even built in Canada, ain't they?
I occasionally keep in touch with a pard in BC who keeps me up on new Cannuck laws.
But he ain't been down here lately.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com