CAS TOPICS > The Darksider's Den

We're not at the grocery store, but "Paper or Plastic"

(1/8) > >>

Mako:
Okay Gentlemen (excuse me I mean cowboys),
You get two votes so don't choose two hulls or two wads.  You can change your vote if necessary.  If you use more than one type then vote your most common but tell us about your others in the reply I'm asking you to make.

Hulls:
• Tell us your brand, tell us why.
• You can also tell us your gauge and why.
• Star crimp?  If so, 8 or 6 point?
• Roll crimp?  If so tell us your finished length.   I wouldn't be surprised if Coffin Maker was loading mini shells to go with his mini pistol loads...
• Are you enough of a masochist to use brass shells?  And if you do, how do you get the initial resistance to get a decent powder burn?  If you do these tell us more, my hat is off to you (and my sympathies).

Wads:
• Tell us why you choose either plastic or fiber
• Tell us your stack combination if you use fiber/cardboard/nitro cards or a hybrid fiber with plastic.

Not on the numbered poll above but tell us your Powder grain size size and charge weight

~Mako

Abilene:
Green STS or Gold Nitro (preferred cuz they look more like brass) plastic hulls.  Any 209.  slightly less than full 4.3cc dipper, ~60gr by weight, of whatever BP but prefer 1F for the additional flame.  Red plastic wad, formerly Winchester now Claybuster 1138-12 (I think - it's red) with 1 to 1 1/8 oz shot, regular star crimp, all on a Lee Loadall except for dipping the powder.  I can get 5 BP loadings out of these Remington hulls.  They get to looking pretty frosty but continue to shuck!

When loading brass, I use the same load except use an 11ga .125" Nitro overpowder card over the powder and under the red wad.  This gives a good seal.  Then an 11ga over shot card glued with wood glue.

Several lustra ago an old shotgunner on this site, Strawberry Lars I think?, said that old timey shotguns  worked better with fiber wads and newer work better with plastic, having to do with forcing cones or such.  I shot some fiber but quickly went to plastic wads and since it ain't been broke I haven't fixed it.  Cleanup in the bores has always been super easy in Baikal and TTN shotguns.

I have roll crimped a few shells with an antique tool and they are cool but I really need 12ga overshot cards because the 11ga are too big and I have to trim them, plus my method of trimming the plastic hulls is tedious.

Mako:

--- Quote from: Abilene on April 08, 2024, 10:25:52 PM ---Green STS or Gold Nitro (preferred cuz they look more like brass) plastic hulls.  Any 209.  slightly less than full 4.3cc dipper, ~60gr by weight, of whatever BP but prefer 1F for the additional flame.  Red plastic wad, formerly Winchester now Claybuster 1138-12 (I think - it's red) with 1 to 1 1/8 oz shot, regular star crimp, all on a Lee Loadall except for dipping the powder.  I can get 5 BP loadings out of these Remington hulls.  They get to looking pretty frosty but continue to shuck!

--- End quote ---

Abilene I knew you used the Gold Nitros because I do too and we talked about it several times (Including the 1F).  I remember how it always upset "Judge Menday Coming" because we were shooting 15 to 20 feet of flame.  But he was so easy to tweak, do you remember the time I used the load that was nothing but feathers when the Cabs were still over on the range off of RR967?  I thought he was going to swallow his tongue thinking I had plastered a bird flying in front of the target.  He was so worried about the birds when we were in the cedar thickets.  He tried to get me thrown out of the match.

I had switched to the Clay Busters but I lucked into about 500 Winchester wads and have been using those.  I can't tell which one leaves the most "snake skin" but I think it is the Clay buster.  Yep, a red wad, a 209 of any flavor including magnum, 4.3ccs of 1F and a scoop of what ever size shot I have. i think it is actually between 1 and 1 1/8th ounces because I adjust for column height to get a pretty crimp.  I also use 40 pounds of wad pressure on a MEC press to get my seating depth which controls the crimp consistent.

~Mako

Advertising:

Sedalia Dave:
For monthly matches my load is:
Gun Club, Federal Top Gun (Old style with the silver base)
CB0178-12 Wad
35 grains by weight of APP
7/8 oz of shot.
Winchester 209 primer

Annual or above matches:
AA Hulls (only use them once)
WAA12R / CB1138-12 wad
3.5cc FFg or FFFg
1 oz of shot
Win 209 Primer

Extra lite loads smokeless loads. I loaded these for my late wife. Less felt recoil than the AA LNLR.
STS Hull
CB0175-12 Wad
13 gr 700X
3/4 oz shot
Win 209 Primer

Note that the shot weights are approximate. I have adjustable charge bars in all my MEC presses and adjust the shot charge to give me the best crimp.

Abilene:
Dave, you are shooting those out of an '87 though, right?  The silver base gun clubs would stick in a SxS I would think.

And on your AA hulls for annual matches, I'm surprised that your load would get a good crimp since it seems like the same load I use but I use 4.3cc of powder.  I do this in Remington hulls now but used to use AA's.

Mako, when I dropped my BP loads last year from 1 1/8 oz of shot to 1 oz, I started dropping a cheerio on top of the shot since the crimp would occasionally be a little concave without it and possibly leak shot.  Someone on the Wire mentioned he did that, and I already eat Cheerios so I had them handy.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version