Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Frontier Iron

Model 3s vs Schofield specific and other questions.

(1/3) > >>

GreyVR:
Hey All,

I posted this a few days ago, but it looks like CAS city was attacked by hacker jerks or something and it's gone. So if you answered, please answer again. Many of you gave me some excellent information (thank you) before the page went down, but I don't remember it all. I'm really looking to learn all I can because I've got a huge drive to get a .44 Smith single action.

This isn't an exact re-post, and a few questions are being added.

Now, to the questions.

-----------------------------------

I'm sure you are all aware of the differences between the standard model 3 and the Schofield. That said, I can't seem to find a youtube video focusing on which locking system is better/stronger/easier to use. Does anyone have a video doing a compare and contrast? I know the idea of the Schofield latch was to do it one handed, but the regular 'press up' latch of the model three seems like it would be just as easy to do one handed, and you'd need both once you are putting the rounds in anyway, right?

I see reproductions are available from Uberti and Cimarron, though I have heard that Cimarron are importers and ALL MODERN MAKE Model 3 variants are made by Uberti. Is that true, or is there another option? 

I heard you can't shoot black powder loads from a modern made Model 3, though I missed why. True or false? Is it something fixable or just something you live with?

Presently, we're in an ammo shortage, so it's hard to decide which caliber is the best choice. .44-40 seems interesting, but .44 special seems like it would be more available when the ammo shortage ends. What about .44 Russian? I understand it was popular back in the day in the West? (Or do I have that wrong and it was only used by the Russians?) I know it developed into .44 special, which makes me think .44 special might be the way to go, in particular if I decide to learn to reload brass as I hear .44-40 has added challenges in that department. (I don't reload yet, but perhaps soon.)

I don't want to go .38 or .45 LC. Mostly because of Marty Robbins.

And lastly it seems you have frames available with and without an angle at the top of the grip. I think I'd prefer with, but I'd like to actually handle these before buying, and that seems like it would be difficult. I have some time shooting a BP 1860 Army revolver and on a Smith Model 10, so I am quite familiar with the utility of that angle, though if anyone can give me opinions on the difference between the smooth curve of the early model vs the extreme corner of the Russian vs the moderate corner of the new model frontier, I'm most interested.

St. George:
If you take some time to review the 'back pages' on this particular forum, you'll find all of those answers and more.

Good Hunting!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Coffinmaker:

:)  GreyVR  ;)

Some partial quick and dirty.  Yes.  ALL current manufacturers of Schofield are Uberti.  Previously there were Armi Sam Marco (crap) and Smith & Wesson.

Current replica Schofield DO NOT play well with BP.  They will foul out in just a few rounds.  Uberti's decision to extend the cylinder to accept 45 Colt was a huge mistake for BP shooters.

Were it I, I would opt for a pair of 44 Special.  I would however, shoot them with 44 Russian cases.  I happen to really like the 44 Russian.

As for the rest of your questions, Dunno.  I had a Schofield once.  Couldn't shoot it well at all.  Didn't keep it long enough to get use to it.

Play Safe Out There

Advertising:

GreyVR:

--- Quote from: Coffinmaker on June 24, 2021, 09:55:15 AM ---Current replica Schofield DO NOT play well with BP.  They will foul out in just a few rounds.  Uberti's decision to extend the cylinder to accept 45 Colt was a huge mistake for BP shooters.

--- End quote ---

I only have one BP gun, and I've only shot it with pyrodex, so when it comes to BP, I'm a bit out of my depth. Still, as .45 LC and the model 3 were both released in the early 1870s and (I believe) originally BP weapons, it would seem like it ought to work..... ? IE, if I got a model 3 in .45 LC and used .45 LC BP loads, why wouldn't it work?

I imagine it might be some sort of cylinder gap issue? Even if so, that just raises more questions.

Coffinmaker:

:)  GreyVR  ;)

Ah, good questions all.  When Uberti and S&W opted to replicate the Schofield, they also often to bow to mis-guided shooter pressure to enable .45 Colt.  To do so, the Cylinder was extended.  The extended Cylinder eliminated the original Schofield Base Pin Bushing which was designed to deflect gun Gas/Spooge away from the Base Pin and away from the Cylinder face.  Elimination of the bushing was disastrous for shooting BP.  On the replicants, the BP fouling is allowed to build up on the cylinder face and the base pin very rapidly.  Most will foul out in 3 or 4 rounds.

The replica manufacturers also seemed to forget about the Forcing Cone.  With the Uberti, the forcing cone is very short and very steep.  Or, it isn't there at all, directing even more fouling to the cylinder face and base pin.

The Cylinder to Barrel gap itself doesn't really come into play.  The above serve to prevent the Schofield replicants from running BP.

Just some additional FYI.  First and foremost.  PRODEX is a RUSTING AGENT that just happens to burn.  Quite possible it is the absolute worst thing you can use.  Avoid it like the plague.  If you are interested in a very viable Substitute, I strongly suggest you try APP.  A great substitute, requires no lubes, and cleans up super easy.  There is also, NO SUCH THING as 45 LC, or 45 Long Colt.  There were only three 45 cartridges,  The original and Grand Daddy is the 45 Colt,  Next was 45 Schofield, and then 45 Government (Schofield length Colt case)

I have heard, second and third hand, 45 shooters have had some good results with Cowboy 45 Special cases.  I can't personally confirm nor deny.  Others report good results with 44 Russian cases.  Again, I can't personally confirm nor deny.  You pays your money and takes your chances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version