Author Topic: Bullet Disposal... The fun way!  (Read 1346 times)

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
Bullet Disposal... The fun way!
« on: July 29, 2021, 05:33:49 PM »
      Greetings, All!

A few years ago, when We still had the "Bargain Cave" at Cabela's, I bought a big box of "Lazer-Cast"
500 Count .427"-200gr Bullets for 75% off. My first thought was that they were a tad small, but at that
price, I went with, "What the hell!"; if they didn't lead too badly, so much the better, and if they were a
bad performer in my Uberti Henry, I would use them to harden up my range scrap melt, being 20 BHN,
according to my LBT Hardness Tester. Being a bit warm out, I decided to dig them out of 'mothballs', and
give them a try...
   For my first loads, I chose the RCBS "Little Dandy" #15 Rotor, which drops a weighed 7.1gr of Alliant
Unique powder, which is contrary to the Rotor Charge Table giving 7.8gr... This was checked and double
checked on my Hornady Balance Beam Scale, and Dad's RCBS Electronic Scale. Safety First! These 7.1gr
Loads, using CCI #300 caps, and an OAL of 1.583" were loaded in an RCBS 3-Die Set. This powder charge
is just over the Lyman 50th Ann. Manual recommended starting level. These cartridges were light and
pleasant, giving 2" groups at 50 yds. Leading was minimal.
   Back in the "Hercules Unique Days", I used 8.0 / 8.5gr in my rifles, so I decided to up my powder charge
a bit. I tested the RCBS "Little Dandy" #16 Rotor, and it too was off, dropping 7.8gr, in stead of the 8.4gr on
the Rotor Charge Table; this is fine, as this is about where I wanted my powder charge, under recommended
maximum in the Lyman Manual. All other components and measurements being the same, I trekked to the
range...
   WOW! Excellent accuracy! My eyeball demanded that I open up the notch on the rear sight, and it did help.
Not only did the bullets go just over the sights, but I was able to hit, with a makeshift "rest", broken clay bird
FRAGMENTS on the backstop berm, probably 55yds ( "10 Rods" ).
   Although committed to GOEX in my Uberti Henry, I liked to have good smokeless cartridges for 'Backup'; I
believe that I found a good combination for these "Laser-Cast" Bullets, and I hope that my Accurate #430-215
.430" bullets, cast with a 'range-scrap alloy' and a 15 BHN, will perform as well. We shall see.
   I would also encourage all who use RCBS, Pacific, etc Powder Measures with FIXED ROTORS, to carefully
measure the ACTUAL powder charges being dropped against a good scale, regardless of what the Factory Chart
indicates; powder density can change between production runs, and reloading manufacturers' tooling can wear,
as well. Again: Safety First!

M.T.Marfield
              7-29-21

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Re: Bullet Disposal... The fun way!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 06:33:13 PM »
Thanks for such a thorough and well explained report!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 09:05:26 AM »
I use .428s in my 44-40s, both my HRA 1860 Henry and my Marlin 1894 Century Limited.  Accuracy over 7.0 of Trail Boss is great, breaking clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm with every shot from a casual rest. 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:44:53 PM »

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 12:30:54 AM »
      Greetings, TL!

Do You use store bought, or homemade? What hardness?

M.T.M.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 12:23:00 PM »
My wife has shot boxes of those lazer cast .427 bullets with no problems. Her old 44-40 Navy Arms Schofield measures out close to .427 bore but her new Cimarron 73 obviously is .429 but they shoot fine in front of trail boss or titegroup.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com