Author Topic: Anyone have a 1858 cartridge conversion. And do you like it.  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Anyone have a 1858 cartridge conversion. And do you like it.
« on: March 28, 2021, 06:18:39 PM »
Having purchased an 1858 Cartridge Conversion in .45 colt I began using it in the Local matches.  I use a load of 28 grains of 2Fg in Schofield cases behind a 230 grain cast conical.  What I want to know is there any one else who owns one and how much do they like it.  For the record, I really like mine.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Anyone have a 1858 cartridge conversion. And do you like it.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 06:24:56 PM »
Yes, an R&D in .38spcl.
I do enjoy it, and did not bother grinding the recoil shield.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 08:32:49 PM »
Yep, I think the Howell (or Howell type) 6 shot conversions in 45 C are the best setup for the Remington platform. The Remington is an excellent set-up for use of a "drop cylinder" conversion. One of my favorite revolvers was a Pietta made '58 with a 5 1/2" tube in 45C. !! Very accurate!!!
  My current favorite is a ROA with a Kirst conversion. It is a drop cylinder as well but I'm almost done with a gated conversion which will turn the ROA into the most versatile S.A. revolver ever made!!

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Advertising

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 10:03:44 PM »
Grapeshot, I take it you are talking about Uberti's ready-made conversion.  I haven't shot one, but a local pard, Chisos, had a pair in 44-40 a few years back.  He shot smokeless in them, but I seem to recall he went a whole lot of matches with no misses.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 10:14:16 PM »
I had one of the first Uberti forged 45 conversions in 2007 ( not the C&B revolver with drop-in )

7.5 inch barrel,  Nice piece , shot well and accurate for CAS ...
 Down side was it was front heavy . and at least for me the TG thumped my knuckle, and with full case BP it'd get stiff after the second stage.
 I much prefer the Uberti Colt Richards
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 10:59:39 PM »
 :-\    Ahhhhhh !!! Totally missed that !!  You guys are right (not a drop-in cyl question).  I have had a couple come through the shop and was impressed with them. Both got coil spring upgrades and I just happen to have my eye on a '75 Rem. that's available at a local gun shop. OP should have a lot of fun with his conversion.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com