Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Frontier Iron

Tell me about the 1875 Remington

(1/6) > >>

9245:
I’m continuing to explore whether I want to do a cartridge conversion on my 1858 Remingtons or, for as much as that will cost, get something else specifically for cartridge shooting.  Unfortunately though my budget is limited so I am exploring more budget friendly options.  I see Single Action Armys sold in the right price range range ($400-$600) but I’m not a fan of the Single Action Army.  Unfortunately more capable options like the Schofield basically double the price.  That brings me to the 1875 Remington, it’s about the same price as the Single Action Armys and I like the Remington designs and it would fit with the theme of my 1858 Remingtons.  However it appears to basically be a Single Action Army copy, but I am intrigued by the captive cylinder pin so it has me considering it.

Does it have a hot swappable cylinder like the 1858 Remington?  The captive cylinder pin suggests it does.  How practical is that?  Is there any historical evidence that that was done?

Does it have hammer notches or firing pin rests like the 1858 that will allow the hammer to rest between chambers and carry all 6 chambers loaded safely?

Do the current production (uberti?) .44-40s have the same accuracy issues as the original .44-40s or do they have the correct barrel?

Does it have any other differences from the Single Action Army?

Jeremiah Jones:
I have a Urberti Remington 1875 in .45 and a Cimarron SAA also in .45. 

Does it have a hot swappable cylinder like the 1858 Remington?  YES The captive cylinder pin suggests it does.  How practical is that?  I have never had a reason to.

Does it have hammer notches or firing pin rests like the 1858 that will allow the hammer to rest between chambers and carry all 6 chambers loaded safely? No, but most have transfer bar or other safety.  But, I carry mine with 5 rounds loaded.

I like the distinctive looks of the Remington, but they both shoot great.

Drydock:
 The Uberti Remington operates just like the current SAA in all facets, though with a much longer cylinder pin.  It's one of the things that is NOT original, as both the original  1875 and follow on 1890 used a screw to retain the pin much like the early SAA.

However!  You'ld be faster by practicing your ejection (advance the cylinder with the palm of your left hand, while using the left index finger to work the ejector) and use a corked tube to dump in your reloads while spinning the cylinder.

Advertising:

RattlesnakeJack:
I have been shooting Uberti 1875 Remington clones for a couple of decades now, and have found them to be both accurate and reliable.  Mine are chambered in .45 Colt.

Fairly early on, having determined that a pretty high percentage of original Model 1875 Remingtons had lanyard rings and (being located in the erstwhile British Empire) really liking that look, I was puzzled why the repros have never been offered with that option, whereas the Model 1890 repros were offered with a lanyard ring.  I resolved the dilemma by purchasing the necessary "M'1890 spare parts" and fitting them to my 1875's ... gives them a rather unique, yet period-correct, look ...

Jeremiah Jones:
Thank for the idea RSJ.  I know where some of my Biden Bucks will be going.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version