Author Topic: Uberti #3 Russian with BP.  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Uberti #3 Russian with BP.
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:46:18 PM »
FWIW, today out on the farm I ran 24 rounds of Black Powder .44 Russian thru my Uberti #3 Third Model Russian top break, with no binding.

This bullet:  http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-215C-D.png

90/10 Beeswax/olive oil lube: pan lubed, bullet unsized.  Bullets drop .430.

20 grains Olde Eynesford 3f

WLP primer

Starline .44 Russian case.

Cylinder still spun free at the end.  This is a later model that does not have the Cylinder beveled.  I've tried several combinations, this one is by far the slickest.  All rounds hit in a 4 inch circular group at 10 yards.  Greasy muzzle and cylinder face.

(24 may: Did 40 rounds today,  no binding.  rested the barrel this time, got a 3" round group.  Humidity over 75%, but I think this is a good match load now)
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Uberti #3 Russian with BP.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:31:13 AM »
Interesting. I've been led to believe the Uberti S&W copies don't play well with black powder. Sounds like you have found a way to make it work. Well done!

Dave

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:17:57 PM »
I just spent the last few weeks loading that same bullet into 44-40s with black powder. It has a large lube capacity which probably helped a great deal with your successful use in the S&W. The fact you used 3F O.E. was also a benefit. Either way, I'm glad to hear of your outcome.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:36:07 PM »

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »
I run a NEI hollow base (454230) with 26gr of Olde Eyensford 2f in Starline Schofield brass through my Schofield with good results. Chronos around 770fps average and gives adequate accuracy. Last time I took it out it got 50 rounds through it before I felt slight binding. The same bullet with Goex was about 18 rounds before binding. OE was definetely a drastic improvement. I've also run OE 3f with similar results. My lube is 50/50 beeswax/crisco.

Just thought I would throw the comparison out there.
FWIW this load runs significantly faster through my SAA. About 820+ fps. The Schofields cylinder gap is quite a but more, that may contribute.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com