Author Topic: Run, Green Bean Casserole is on the way.  (Read 21155 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: Run, Green Bean Casserole is on the way.
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
Done with the new chicken coop. Working on the the suburban.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2019, 01:31:19 AM »
Evening all.

Still laid up. I've had bruised ribs before, but not seven of them at once. Makes sneezing an adventure. Also, I didn't know the tailbone was involved in the breathing process. But it definitely let's me know that it is.

Russ, those Californians just mess with everyone.   ::). On a different note, there's a chance I'll end up in your neighborhood in the next couple years. The ANG unit there is going to have an opening for a pilot right about the time I'll be looking for a pilot position. So I plan on putting in an application.

Del, you gotta keep an eye on those little food-converters with tails. Mine got on the counter once and ate an entire stick of butter out of the dish.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2019, 05:56:26 AM »
A bit of a nip in the air  @ 57 degrees this morning  ;)  with 79 as the high.... Canadian tags are again becoming common with the snow birds arriving

My Gunoholic condition is rearing its addicting siren call...?.again !   

Another Milsurp is calling to me ?.. inevitable I suppose  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 04:38:20 AM »

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

Got the oil and thermostat changed. Thermostat was stuck open.

'Tis 28 and overcast. High of 36. Most of the sn*w is gone.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2019, 11:53:58 AM »
Afternoon Y'all, Had a low of 18 last night and a high today of 48 and overcast. Have to take the covers off the gazebo and Grill canopy in case we get snow on Tuesday. Also have to cover the outdoor furniture and pack all the cushions away for the year. The later go to my sons place and help him do the same.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »
I'm thinking about making a bullet trap. Have any of you done this or have one? I am looking for plans.

Slim

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »
Hey Kid, hope to get a chance to see ya sometime in the future.
When I first moved here the 152nd was a photo reconnaissance unit flying  RF-4C aircraft.  Now it is an airlift wing flying C-130H's.  It never seems like I'm truly home until the plane taxis passed the High Rollers Herc's on it's way to the terminal.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »
I'm thinking about making a bullet trap. Have any of you done this or have one? I am looking for plans.

Slim

I find it's easier just to cast mine. :P

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »
I find it's easier just to cast mine. :P

RCJ
;D

Slim

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »
Major

Took care of those chores yesterday.  I brought all the stuff into the garage from the patio, and the wife was in charge of stuffing everything onto the shelves.  She has a system of some sort as to where everything goes, so if I put it away I'd probably fit more in there, but then we'd never find it again next spring.

Seemed a little strange to be packing this stuff away when the temp was about 70.  But better that than waiting till the snow was blowing, winds gusting and the temp near zero.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Back Roads

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Making Smoke The Old Way
  • NCOWS #: 3724
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2019, 04:08:50 PM »
Slim, I made my bullet trap out of an old steel barrel with one end open. Filled it full of the landscape mulch made out of shredded tires that I purchased at Lowe's. Put a self sealing rubber membrane over the open end after placing the mulch inside. My membrane was some material lining a box that some delicate materials came in. When all of it is gone I am going to try rubber mat for the floor that you can get at Harbor Freight. Built a stand for the barrel out of two by fours so it would lie on it's side about chest high. Placed target stand in front of the open end with paper target attached. Gave  $15.00 for the barrel and about $100.00 for enough mulch to fill barrel. Shot it with lots of different cowboy calibers using lead bullets. Haven't had one to penetrate completely through yet! Have also tried handguns in 9mm, 45 acp, 38 & 357 with jacketed with no problems. Barrel is pretty heavy when full of the mulch. I use the front end loader on the tractor for setting it on and off the stand. Shoot it till the membrane has a big enough hole where the mulch starts to fall out. Take it down, sift through mulch to retrieve lead bullets so they can be melted down for recasting, fill it back up, place new membrane and ready to go again. Been using for three years with no problems.  Keep a tarp over it when not in use. Have to be careful when removing tarp in summer time, wasps like to build under it!

Back Roads
NRA Life
Shooter of BP, STORM #430
NCOWS, Alabama Bushwhackers
Alabama Gun Collector's Assn. Life

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
Thanks, Back Roads.
I was thinking more of a metal box similar to the rimfire bullet traps.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015092615?pid=172588

Slim

Offline Back Roads

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Making Smoke The Old Way
  • NCOWS #: 3724
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »
Slim,  Built something similar to that many years ago. May be great for small caliber but I was using far larger than .22 and got a lot of splatter.  Tried putting sand in the bottom to catch the projectile but still didn't stop the splatter from the lead bullet contacting the back deflector. I guess it depends a lot on what you are firing into the trap.
On the trap that I use the bullets have very little deformation. I wash them and then they go back into the pot to be recast into new bullets. The last time I cleaned it out I recovered over 12 pounds of lead.
Hope you find one that works well for you.

Back Roads
NRA Life
Shooter of BP, STORM #430
NCOWS, Alabama Bushwhackers
Alabama Gun Collector's Assn. Life

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »

Slim

Try here, Looks to be fairly straight forward.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=25727;st=0
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2019, 07:10:32 PM »
I am so glad we didn't wait a while to get another dog and so glad I was on FB that night and so glad I didn't say no when the one we thought was black was brown, were sure though we got the same one that looked black and was a male.  Norton said he got the darkest one.  Couldn't turn back at that point, Rita had already named him.

Because I was sick and getting certain people together we are not doing Rowdy's ashes till spring.  Moved the can to the closet yesterday, Little Brown Dog  licked the dust out of my etes.

Rowdy won't mind  ;D

last Sunday, we lost  Cody (Bufallo Bill Cody) to sudden Kidney failure. He had diabetes and CKD ( chronic Kidney Disease) for about 3 years.
both were under control with insulin shots twice daily and other meds. He was active and comfortable right up until friday night (day of the the dead).
He Started acting very poorly late Saturday night, we didn;t get much sleep, and ran him into the Emergency Vet Sunday morning.
Turns out his kidneys failed completly, blood numbers were off the chart. Nothing we could have done. I truly think he decided his work was done,
and so his kidneys just quit.

There was nothing left to be done but to grant him "grace" and assist him to pass comfortably. 

I built him a nice little box, but could not bury him until today.
We Just now finished burying him, with his favorite toys, tobacco and sage, and an honor song.

Buried him right between his best buddy Zorro, and their mentor Groucho.

it never gets any easier.
yhs
prof marvle
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »
Hey Kid, hope to get a chance to see ya sometime in the future.
When I first moved here the 152nd was a photo reconnaissance unit flying  RF-4C aircraft.  Now it is an airlift wing flying C-130H's.  It never seems like I'm truly home until the plane taxis passed the High Rollers Herc's on it's way to the terminal.

They do a lot with MAFFS (Modular Aerial Fire Fighting System) these days too. One of 4 units that do, hence my interest. There was talk of my unit getting into that, but the funding didn't materialize, so we're still just doing airlift and disaster releif.  Half the unit just got back from a deployment to Afghanistan moving equipment around the desert.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2019, 08:24:17 PM »
Slim, I just use a stack of 4-5 old tires, filled with sand. Every so often you have to take it apart and replace the one or two middle tires, they actually get shot in two! But of course, that's not too moveable, without a bunch of shovel work.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2019, 06:15:49 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

Thanks for the bullet trap ideas.

Got 'bout 1" of sn*w during the Packers game.

'Tis 20 and overcast. WC 9. "Snow showers this morning. Becoming partly cloudy later. High 24F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 50%."

Slim

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2019, 07:55:33 AM »
Update on my  My Gunoholic condition ...
I was to look at a M1 Garand ...with a SA Aug. 44 Receiver & SA Mar. 45 Barrel looked good till I saw the faint Arlington Arsenal stamp on the barrel.

Blue Sky/Arlington Arsenal Import would be from Korea , some were OK some were worn out ....I passed

when planets align...do the deal !

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2019, 05:55:39 PM »
Update on my  My Gunoholic condition ...
I was to look at a M1 Garand ...with a SA Aug. 44 Receiver & SA Mar. 45 Barrel looked good till I saw the faint Arlington Arsenal stamp on the barrel.

Blue Sky/Arlington Arsenal Import would be from Korea , some were OK some were worn out ....I passed

I bought a service grade M1 Garand from the CMP in 2016 for $730.

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com