Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag

Dry beans and peas

<< < (2/2)

Robert Swartz:
....saw Kent Rollins mentioned in another thread.....he has an excellent YouTube video covering camp beans and different methods to prepare and cook them....worth a watch!

Tascosa Joe:
Prof Marvel
The Mormons put their dried foods in air tight containers with a small amount of dry ice.  The dry ice evaporates and the carbon dioxide keeps the weevils and other critters away.
T-Joe

Mogorilla:
That is a great storage method.   My pantry is loaded with dried beans/lentils.

I use them all the time (insert flatulence humor here).   

Today I am having a quick split pea soup. 
When I see ham hocks on sale, I buy them.   Take them home, roast them in a 400 F oven for about 30-40 minutes, to wake them up/get some colour on them.   put them in a pot with a bay leaf, quartered onion, two carrots cut into big chunks, celery stick cut into equally big chunks and a couple of garlic cloves.    Cover in water and simmer for 3-4 hours.   Drain, keeping broth, toss the vegetables, pull meat for a pooch that has been pacing in the kitchen for 3-4 hours and chill the broth.   Next morning defat the broth (usually easy as it floats to top and solidifies) and freeze in portions of your desire.   I also usually keep the trimmings from onion/carrot/celery and will freeze those, using them in this application, makes for a cheap broth that brings a lot to the party.   

Split pea soup.
3 strips of bacon, corsely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small celery stalk, chopped
1 minced garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups dried split peas
4-6 cups stock. (more or less depending on your desired consistency)

cook bacon until crisp, and pull from pan.  Saute onions, carrot and celery in bacon drippings, when soft, add garlic and dried peas, stir for  30 seconds and add stock.   Bring to a simmer and cook until peas are soft.    Taste for seasoning and adjust.   

Serve hot, I like this with corn bread, or croutons.    Even in the heat of summer, a great lunch or dinner.

Advertising:

RoyceP:
I make a pot of beans or split pea with ham soup once a week. Every Wal Mart carries them. Any grocery store does too, including lentils. I generally cook lentils with curry and carrots. Good stuff!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version