Author Topic: Advice on "cleaning up" '58 clones  (Read 4100 times)

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advice on "cleaning up" '58 clones
« on: October 12, 2005, 02:24:51 PM »
I was thinkin recently (which usually either gets me in trouble or costs me money), of how much I like the design and feel of my Pietta '58s but HATE the writing they did all over the barrel. Seein that ugly "Black Powder Only" on the side of the barrel every time I clean it makes me grit my teeth.  I'm a simple person, and I like simple, clean lines on my guns and my holsters.  Is there an easy way to kinda "polish" the outside of the barrels to remove the lettering, without damaging the gun?  I know I am probably making a big deal outta nothing, but to me that just ruins the look of the gun.  As another thought, when you buy the replacement barrels, do they have the same lettering on them?  Yet another thought, can you buy round barrels instead of the octagonal ones? 

Sorry, my brain gets off on these customizin trips every so often.

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Advice on "cleaning up" '58 clones
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 06:45:39 PM »
Cousin defarbing I think they call it, http://members.cox.net/longshot_logan/Metal%20Antiquing.htm and ther are other sites with details for  antiquing  ;D
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 06:50:47 PM »
HIya donin' IBR!

Ya might look at my posting at the Gunsmithing section of this forum.  Might give ya some ideas on how ta git rid of them markings.  It'll be under "Polishing off Scratches"  ::) or something like that.

And, yes, the new barrels have the same markings as the originals. :'(  I ordered one from Vitigun as a replacement after my amatuer attempt of gunsmithin' :o.  Now, the old barrel is for experiments and such.  Make my goofs on it before I do anything to my irons from now on. ::)

Here's the link to Vitiguns, Gun Parts page:

https://www.vtigunparts.com/ab2240000Equick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=69&cat=Pietta%201858%20Remington,%20Target,%20Tiro%20.36cal,%20.44cal

See ya around the next bend ;)

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:58:31 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com