Special Interests - Groups & Societies > 1860 Henry

how would the .44 rim fire stack up with todays ammo?

(1/26) > >>

cactus joe:
I was just wondering after reloading a batch of .45 long colt ammo, for my hungry henry, how the .44 rim fire original cartrige of yesteryear would stack against the .44-40 or the .45 long colt, say for white tail hunting at ranges of 50 to 75 yards, or just billistically at  the range. I'm not planning on taking it on any  buffalo hunts like kevin costner of course.anyone out there have any thoughts?

Joe Lansing:
    Accuracy and luck are everything. Buffalo have been killed from horseback with the 44rf, but that was at point blank range and with how many shots? A record griz was killed in Canada with a 22lr by a native American picking blueberries.....but what does that tell us?
    If one were to hunt deer with a 44rf Henry(or '66), one better be a damned good shot and make the first one count, because you cant see a thing through the BP smoke, and not all deer drop like a rock when hit.
    Another point, to gain perspective, is successful hand gun hunting with revolvers before the magnum era. Again, accuracy and luck are everything.

J.L.

J.L.

Fox Creek Kid:

--- Quote from: Joe Lansing on December 14, 2010, 08:18:31 PM ---...A record griz was killed in Canada with a 22lr by a native American picking blueberries.....but what does that tell us?...
--- End quote ---

Uhh, avoid berry pickin' in Canada.  ;D :D ;)

Advertising:

Major 2:

--- Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on December 15, 2010, 03:49:53 AM ---Uhh, avoid berry pickin' in Canada.  ;D :D ;)

--- End quote ---

Ummm... berry good answer  :)

StrawHat:

--- Quote from: Joe Lansing on December 14, 2010, 08:18:31 PM --- ... A record griz was killed in Canada with a 22lr by a native American picking blueberries ...          J.L.
--- End quote ---

Joe,

I recall reading about that.  Young girl and her brother out gathering and ended up in a tree with the bear coming after them?  Do you have the article or a site to read it?  I thought it was a Single shot rifle and she used 22 shorts.  If I remember it correctly she shot it 6 or 8 times and after it died the kids went back to camp and only mentioned the incident after a couple of days.  Wish I could find my copy of the thing.  If you can help out, it would be appreciated.

As for the 44 Henry, I believe it about equals the 45 Cowboy Special when both use black powder.  When I get the time, I'll check my books.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version