Author Topic: Frontier Action Shooting in Saskatchewan  (Read 51733 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Frontier Action Shooting in Saskatchewan
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »
A "stickied" thread for Saskatchewan club contacts, upcoming events, and such .....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Frontier Action Shooting in Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
I'll get this information posted within the next few days.

Happy New Year
Icebox
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
The Saskatchewan bunch are working at getting organized on a little bigger scale = http://www.sawws.com/index.htm

We met today and I will post some shoot dates and locations in the next few days.

Icebox Bob

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:39:33 AM »

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »
Here are the CAS shoot dates that have been set so far.  Range locations are here = www.sawws.com

April 27, 2008 - Prince Albert
May 3+4, 2008 - Candle Lake "Big Bang"
May 11, 2008 - Prince Albert
June 15, 2008 - Prince Albert
July 13, 2008 - Prince Albert
Aug. 10, 2008 - Prince Albert
Sept. 14, 2008 - Prince Albert

There are monthly shoots at Candle Lake - dates to be confirmed.  Shooting optimistically starts at 10:00 a.m., so you need to be there before that for safety briefing, etc.

Will post more as it becomes available.  Temperature with wind chill is -40 tonight. Nice to be thinking of summer schedules.

Icebox Bob

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 07:52:50 PM »
Good to see a forum devoted to CAS in Canada and some familiar faces.  Love that flag in your avitar Icebox, I'm sure I recognize it. ;D ;D ;D  I finally took the time to get registered with SASS hence the new name.  Hope I can remember it. 

We are still waiting for CAS Shoot dates from the Candle Lake Club and we will get them up as soon as we get them.  As Icebox indicated we're trying to get a provincial group going so be patient with us as we build our website and do all the things that need to happen to make it work for all.  We will have tables to promote CAS in Sask at the Saskatoon Gun show Feb 29, March 1 and 2nd so if your at the show drop in and check us out.

Hopefully it will be Ok to use this forum to keep folks updated as to our progress if not just let me know where the best place is.
Grey Beard

Grey Beard

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »
Grey Beard;  Welcome to CHINOOK COUNTRY. 

At this time, I know of no other comprehensive forum for Canadian frontier action shooters.  That is the reason that Rattlesnake Jack & I got it going.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »
Where in Saskatoon is the gun show? Just might have to make the trip ;D if I can talk the wife into it!

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
Where in Saskatoon is the gun show? Just might have to make the trip ;D if I can talk the wife into it!

Hi Whoop-up another familiar face, just tell Mona your taking her gun shoping and she'll beat you to the car.  It would be great to see you there, Icebox, Granny, Ginger, Doc and Snowcap will be there as well so come on down. .    I'm not sure of the address but I think it is called the Wheatland Building on the Exibition Grounds I"ll find the correct street address and post it.

Finding it for me is kind of like my dad talked about when he had a bit to much to drink  back in the 20's.  He said he just let the horse get him home.  I can drive there but darned if I know the address.
Grey Beard 
Grey Beard

Offline ginger lee

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »
Hi everyone!! Glad to have joined yet another site. Hope you are all ready for the gunshow in Saskatoon,i'm looking forward to working and visiting with all of you. Hope to see all of our old friends and looking forward to making new ones as we spread the word about CAS shooting.

Offline docthompson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:59:02 PM »
Nitro just got the SAWWS web site up again after the crash.
Doc

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 07:50:25 PM »
Well we survived the Saskatoon Gun Show mostly unscathed but with lighter wallets, Granny, Ginger, Doc, Evil Ian, Snow Cap, Steel House Jack and my self had a great time promoting cowboy action, meeting some great new friends like Bruce and Tina from Misty gunworks and buying guns.  I found a couple more 1897 winchesters including this beautiful Black Diamond Trap. 

If I'm not careful people will think I'm partial to 97's.   Now I guess I have to travel out to Alberta where I hear they have some cowboy clay side matches and one of the others will want to test the pair of vaquero's that rumor has it were tuned by Bob Mundon. All in all everybody came home with something new, well maybe several things that where new.  All in all the only better way to spend a weekend is at a match.

Doc has our website back up and running so for any one interested in our shoot schedule you can find it at www.sawws.com hope to see some of our new friends there.     
Grey Beard

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
May 3+4, 2008 - Candle Lake "Big Bang"
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »
Can anyone confirm that this is a two day shoot.  If it is a two day shoot will anyone be staying at the range on Friday night? If so would you please contact me bstevens@mts.net

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »
Hi Brad it's a 2 day shoot, we're meeting this Tuesday to start sorting out the details and one of us will get back to you as soon as we have the agenda figured out.
Grey Beard
Grey Beard

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »
Good, Mona and I were thinking about bringing the truck and trailer and setting up at the range if someone was going to be there and the weather co-operates.  That's why I was wondering if anyone was going to be at the range on the Friday night.

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »
Hi Brad we haven't gotten all the details finalized yet but we will be shooting Saturday and Sunday with a supper and social in the club house at the range Saturday and Lunch on Sunday.  There is plenty of dry camping available at the range and in all likely hood we will be around the range getting setup some time Friday aftenoon and early evening.  I'm not sure if any of our group will be staying out there for the night but as long as we know for sure your going to be there we will make sure that the gate is open for you when you arrive.     
Grey Beard

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »
ok we will let yu know for sure if we are bring the truck and camper.  Still winter here hope to get at the trailer soon. If not we will stay in Nipawin and travel to the shoot from there.

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
I just want to say thanks to the folks who turned up to shoot and work at our SAWWS Cowboy shoot at the Candle Lake range May 3rd and 4th. There was lots of target shooting, even more bull shooting and lots of food so it made for a great time.  Also thanks to the business and people that sponsored us by donating prizes.  Folks like Timberline Gallery, Frontier Taxidermy, Arnie’s Guns, MT Chambers Supply, Wholesale Sports, Frank Dunn Toyota, Birch Hills Co-op and Carlton Honda, as well as many of the competitors.  For the second SAWWS shoot in a row everyone went home with a prize that was worth almost as much as or in some cases more than the entry fee.  Thanks again everyone. ;D ;D ;D
Grey Beard

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 08:20:22 PM »
On the off chance that any of our SK folks are looking for a CAS shoot this Sun June 1 we will be shooting at the Candle Lake range.  Saftey meeting at 10:00am and shooting starts right after that.  Directions to the range can be veiwed at www.sawws.com hope to see you there.
Grey Beard   
Grey Beard

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 08:50:32 PM »
Here is some information I received from the Saskatoon Muzzle loading Club regarding a shoot they are hosting in conjunction with the SAWWS group come on out and check it out this weekend.

Saskatoon Muzzle Loading Club Saskatoon Muzzle Loading Club - Box 643 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7K 3L7 http://www.smlc.ca

The cowboy action club out of Prince Albert has kindly offered to host as Cowboy Action Shoot (CAS) at our club this weekend. They will be bringing their equipment and demonstrating this fun discipline to anybody that wants to try it out.

They will be at the range setting up in the early afternoon on Saturday June 14th and the timed shoot will be held on Sunday. We encourage everyone to show up and give it a try or at least check it out. We will be doing some shooting on Saturday for fun so anybody that perhaps doesn’t want to be timed or in a competition is welcome to come try CAS out Saturday just to see what it is all about.

We will have a full timed shoot on Sunday starting at 10 am.
CAS uses single action revolvers and lever action rifles in pistol calibers (38/357, 45 LC, 44/40, etc) and any S x S shotgun or pump shotgun with an exposed hammer (i.e. a Winchester 1897). Bullets need to be cast and not jacketed for the rifle and revolver and shotgun shells are typically #6 to #8 lead shot.

For any that do not have CAS firearms, don’t let that stop you from coming out. There will be plenty of firearms and ammunition so that you can try it out.

The club will run a concession for lunch on Sunday serving burgers and smokies along with pop or water. Kim is out of town this weekend so bring your own cookies….There will be no shoot fee so you just need to bring money for lunch.

Attached is directions of how to get to the club for any that do not know how to get to the SMLC range.

Head out of Saskatoon on 22nd Street, West towards Bigger on highway #14. At the Grandora turn off, turn north. The gate to the club is about a mile north on the west side of the road. If you hit the Sandy Ridge gas station you have gone too far. The Grandora turn off is about 3 miles after the highway curves and crosses the train tracks.
The SMLC has electric camp sites available to rent for $5 for non members who wish to camp out for the weekend. There are no water hook ups but there are two clean outhouses.
For more information, please contact Jake at 382-2259 or Mike at 384-6671.
Grey Beard

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 09:50:17 PM »
Here are dates for any of the Cowboy Action Shoots I'm aware of here in Saskatchewan this year

Candle Lake & Prince Albert Cowboy Action Shoot Dates

19 April    Candle Lake – weather permitting
3 May       Candle Lake
17 May     Prince Albert
30 – 31 May   Saskatoon – SAWWS
31 May    Candle lake
14 June     Candle Lake
28 June     Prince Albert
5 July        Candle Lake
19 July      Prince Albert
26 July      Candle Lake
9 August   Prince Albert