Author Topic: Stag Colts  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stag Colts
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
I thought I'd post my pair of Stag Handled Colt's.  The one on top is a Third Generation SASS Colt that I added Sambar Stag Grips to after getting it.  The lower one is a First Generation Colt made in 1911, with Stag Grips that have been on it a long time.  The First Generation Colt is from a friend of mine (he was a wild horse detective with the BLM and carried this gun when horseback).

Anyway, both are great shooters. (I have one Third Generation with Ivory Grips from Nutmeg I'll post when I can find a photo of it).

“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Stag Colts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »
Nice stags on both of those!

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:40:30 AM »
Beautiful! I love stag grips. Here are mine,
Colt and Uberti

Remingtons
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:20:36 AM »

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »
I have a 3td generation and I have contacted Nutmeg about getting Ivory grips. How do you like the Ivory grips?

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »
I have had Nutmeg install 3 sets.  They do good work.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
I have had Nutmeg install two ivory grips on my Turnbull Open Range revolvers, and they did a great job.  I also have a third generation Colt that I bought with bark ivory that Nutmeg did about 20 years ago.  Also, great work.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »
Here are two photos, one of each side of my Third Generation Colt with Nutmeg Ivory Grips:

and
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »
And here are my Turnbull Open Range (Class A Engraving) that I had Jim Alaimo (Nutmeg Sports) put ivory on for me.  He didn't have any "bark ivory" but there is some graining in them so they don't look like white plastic.  Very well fitted and look great on these two revolvers:

(Rob Roy)

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »
Those are some good looking grips. I'm going to send mine off next week for a set.

Offline pawneefork

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »
Not to "roach the buzz" of the stag OP, but in all my reserach fo old Colts, I saw wood, hard rubber, ivory, and -- most often as an exotic material -- MOP, but I never saw stag on an SAA until the 50s Westerns dreamed it up.  Am I misremembering...?  It seems logical, being a plentiful, cheap, and legal material, but it appears to have been rarely done pre-20th century.  I could be wrong.  

Stag looks great on 1911s and S&W N frames though...

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 08:29:04 PM »
Well Pawnee, I agree with you to an extent...  But perusing the book "THE PEACEMAKERS" by R.L. Wilson, photo on page 179, and caption on page 178, is a photo of Harvey Logan, aka Kid Curry's Engrave Colt Single Action serial number 147144, with Stag Grips.  Allegedly it was stolen from a Colt salesman, between 1901 and 1904.

So, period 1873 to 1900, I find no other photos of early guns with stag grips.
                     (Rob Roy)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com