Author Topic: SAA still in the catalog?  (Read 3735 times)

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
SAA still in the catalog?
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
Does Colt's still build SAA revolvers???

I haven't seen a new one in a store or on-line auction in over a year.

I've assumed this has to do with the "Custom Shop" making John Browning pistols 24/7, but that's only an assumption.

Between Colt's lack of production and USFA lack of production, it feels like we're being ignored.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SAA still in the catalog?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »
I'm currently at the SHOT show in Vegas. No lack of SA's at the Colt booth including the New Frontier. Even saw a few short barreled hard chrome models for mounted shooting

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »
I'm currently at the SHOT show in Vegas. No lack of SA's at the Colt booth including the New Frontier. Even saw a few short barreled hard chrome models for mounted shooting

I've checked this year's catalog. They're still available but the catalog only shows .45 Long Colt and .357 Magnum. Other calibers are available through request.
A work in progress.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:54:16 AM »

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1217
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:26:56 PM »
The Colt catalog I picked up from their booth at the CMSA championships in Amarillo a few months ago has SAA's in it.  It states that available options are 32/20, .38 Special, .38/40, .357 Mag, 44/40, and .45 Colt.  This catalog has the 100 year highly engraved 1911 on the cover.  It is really a wonderful catalog, with half the pages covering historical Colts.  I don't know if it is still available but I'd recommend getting one if you can.

As an aside, I often ask Colt reps at shows if they are ever going to bring back the Python and they always say no.  This time the guy told me that they had sold the Python tooling for scrap  :(  However, today at Shotshow I saw some guys with Colts badges who told me they were there as guests of Colt, and they told me that they had been told Colt was going to be reintroducing the Python next year   

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »
The Colt catalog I picked up from their booth at the CMSA championships in Amarillo a few months ago has SAA's in it.  It states that available options are 32/20, .38 Special, .38/40, .357 Mag, 44/40, and .45 Colt.  This catalog has the 100 year highly engraved 1911 on the cover.  It is really a wonderful catalog, with half the pages covering historical Colts.  I don't know if it is still available but I'd recommend getting one if you can.

As an aside, I often ask Colt reps at shows if they are ever going to bring back the Python and they always say no.  This time the guy told me that they had sold the Python tooling for scrap  :(  However, today at Shotshow I saw some guys with Colts badges who told me they were there as guests of Colt, and they told me that they had been told Colt was going to be reintroducing the Python next year   

If they're truly serious about reintroducing the Python then they will need brand new tooling.
A work in progress.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »

The 2012 Colt catalog and price list, which I have in my hand shows the SAA available in only. 45 and. 357. All three barrel lengths are available in each caliber. The New Frontier comes in all three barrel lengths and the calibers are. 45 and. 44 Spl. I got the feeling from talking to the Colt reps,  that at least on the SAA, you could order what you wanted on a custom basis including the hard-chromed one I saw.The fit and finish on everything I saw was first rate, especially the New Frontier.

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »
There are a number new production Colt SAA revolvers listed on both Gun Broker and Guns America and several have photographs of the roll marking on the barrel "175th Anniversary - 1836-2011 Production" indicating that they were manufactured in 2011. 

This includes a number of Colt New Frontier SAA revolvers that were reintroduced in 2011.

As Old Doc mentioned above the fit and finish quality is outstanding; the best I have ever seen on a Colt SAA, including first and second generation production.  The 2011 Colt New Frontier color case hardening and royal bluing is second to none; it is absolutely beautiful.

I have also seen two 2011 Colt SAA production guns this month in display cases at two different gun stores in El Paso, Texas.

J.D. Press

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »
...However, today at Shotshow I saw some guys with Colts badges who told me they were there as guests of Colt, and they told me that they had been told Colt was going to be reintroducing the Python next year   

Story is that Colt is bringing back a DA revolver of some sort, however I highly doubt it will be the Python as it would have a MSRP of circa. 2k. Pythons are not all they are cracked up to be IMO. Not because of quality, as they were superbly well made. However, it's impossible to find parts as well as a qualified 'smith to work on one as they are a VERY complicated revolver. I think I am going to sell mine for that matter as I love to shoot hot magnums and it's easier to get a DA S&W back into time than a DA Colt. The Python grip is only superseded in its ridiculous size by the New Service for that matter. I'll take my Detective Specials any day. Now THERE is quality DA revolver!!  ;) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com