Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1876

Rear Sights for 76

(1/8) > >>

larryo_1:
Tame Bill:
I got a '76 with a 28" barrel.  What Marbles front sight did you get?   Height and width.  I don't like my front sight that came with the rifle and painted the rear with white paint to help.  Got a Smith rear on order from BA.  The one that came with the rifle from Uberti won't stay in one position shot for shot and is a pain in the Buttocks!  So can you give some info?   :)

Grizzly Adams:

--- Quote from: larryo_1 on May 11, 2008, 05:04:23 PM ---Tame Bill:
I got a '76 with a 28" barrel.  What Marbles front sight did you get?   Height and width.  I don't like my front sight that came with the rifle and painted the rear with white paint to help.  Got a Smith rear on order from BA.  The one that came with the rifle from Uberti won't stay in one position shot for shot and is a pain in the Buttocks!  So can you give some info?   :)

--- End quote ---

Larry, which Smith sight are you putting on?  I just replaced my Uberti rear buckhorn with a Browning SRC ladder sight (Sporting Leaf) and had a Marbles front sight installed.  I had the rifle bore sighted to make sure of the height of the front sight needed.  Near as I can measure, it is 0.413 in height from barrel flat to top. 

Your best option might be to go to a smith who has an assortment and let him bore sight your rifle to the Smith.

larryo_1:
Grizz:

The Smith that I ordered is BA # SM18004M.  I haven't got it yet as when I ordered it on 5/2/08, they called and said that it was on BA for a couple of weeks.  I can do what you suggest so will just wait till that site comes and do what you suggest.   ;)  The measurements that I have taken so far show the original site at o.303 from the top of the flat to the top of the site and 0.397 from the base of the site to the top of the site.  That is without taking it off the barrel and measuring it in place.  It really would be nice if they would have put on sites that we all seem to like better than the factory ones.

Advertising:

Grizzly Adams:

--- Quote from: larryo_1 on May 12, 2008, 08:10:29 AM ---Grizz:

The Smith that I ordered is BA # SM18004M.  I haven't got it yet as when I ordered it on 5/2/08, they called and said that it was on BA for a couple of weeks. 

--- End quote ---

That's a real nice sight.  Glad to hear it is available again.  Last I had heard, was that it was out of stock, and Smith was not planning anymore for some time.  Keep us posted.  I would like to get one for myself! ;D

larryo_1:
Grizz:
Here is what I have found out about the Smith sight situation:  I called BA today to check on my order.  Was told that I best forget Smiths as they are under contract with the military as is Jamison.  Asked what would be like that Smith and was told to look on page 129 of their catalog.  There at the bottom are two Winchester rear barrel sights.  So I canceled my Smith order and now have one coming that is the "Short Staff" sight.  Cheaper by a bit also.   Since I don't plan on any 1000 yard shooting-near-sighted ya know!  That short one will work just fine.  As for the front sight, Got one picked out and looks like I'll need a 0.410" to do the job but won't know for sure till that rear sight comes.  Since we are only a snort 'n a holler from BA, that rear sight should be here this week and then I'll know about those measurements for sure.

So, pass this around to those that might be interested.     :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version