Author Topic: 44 Special questions  (Read 1943 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
44 Special questions
« on: March 02, 2021, 08:15:04 PM »
I'm thinking I'd like to have a 92, but I'm using 44 Special as my day-to-day cartridge.  Using 44 Mags just for the rifle, or having a rifle in a different caliber, offers no advantages to me.  Have any of the 92 variations/copies been chambered in 44 Special?  Or alternately, are any of the variations/copies chambered in 44 Magnum out-of-the-box reliable with 44 Specials? 

Thanks,
Jim

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Re: 44 Special questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:27:15 PM »
Okay, I am going by what I have seen myself and also seen reported on the 92s. The ones set up for Magnum cartridges [.357 and .44] both run very well with rounds loaded in the Magnum brass or else have to run longer bullets in Special brass to be reliable. It all seems to be dependent on overall cartridge length. My own experience with a Rossi in .357 bears this out, it would feed anything in a .357 Magnum cartridge, but it HAD to have at least 158 grain bullets to run in .38 Special. Good luck!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 09:51:24 PM »
Thanks!  So (speaking hypothetically), I'd have a better chance of things working if the OAL of the 44 Special round I'm using falls into the range that 44 Mag is loaded to?  This might work, given my preference for mid-range to heavy bullets. 

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:46:22 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 11:33:39 PM »
That's right, just load the Specials long, at a length that will feed well.  They'll still shoot fine in a handgun (although bullet shape could affect that - check before loading a bunch).  Since you won't be loading in a crimp groove, make sure the crimp holds the bullet well.  And any given load will have somewhat reduced pressure if you seat the bullet out further, if that makes a difference.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »

:)  ok . . ok . .Ok . . OK  :o  MY TURN!!  ;)

There are several very applicable solutions to LongWalker's di-Lemmon.  First a minor CAVEAT:  Been several Lustrum since I applied finesse to an 1892.  However, in the past, it has been a simple matter to "adjust" to .38 Special cases in a .357 chambered rifle.  A little spring work and some Shimming.

The same should hold true for 44 Special.  I would be want, however, to query Nate Kiowa Jones, the 1892 Guru for his opine.  Seating bullets funny just grates on my sensibilities.  One should be able to load the same same jam and fudge 200Gr or 160 Gr bullets in both guns.

Next, and even simpler.  Skip the 1892.  A simple solution is either an 1866 or an 1873, chambered for 44 Special.  Or even chambered for 44 Manglem.  then the sky is the limit.  You would even have the option of a simple change to a "Smith Shop" Carrier Block for short cartridges and be able to run 44 Russian cases.

As example.  I have a 44 Special Uberti Rifle.  Was 24 inch barrel.  Now a 16 1/4 inch barrel.  Smith Shop Carrier Block and I run 44 Russian Cases in it and my 44 Colt chambered Open Tops.  While I would not recommend running "hot" ammunition thru an 1866, the 1873 would digest warm hunting level 44 Special with no real adverse effects.  Burma Shave

Stay Safe Out There

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 01:39:57 AM »
Thanks again guys.  It doesn't sound like a 92 is going to work for me.  I'm going to be doing some miles of fencing this summer, so I'm looking for a working rifle that will reliably feed the load (240 SWC @ 1,000 fps) I use in my revolvers.  I can put up with having to do a little tuning, but don't have the time to send if off to the experts. 

Coffinmaker, time-frame on finding/setting up/tuning a 66 or 73 doesn't work (not to mention affording the rifle in the first place).  The Rossi advantage is that I can probably scrounge one in the next month, and I don't mind if there is no finish left on it at the end of the summer. 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
SWC bullets tend not to fed very smoothly in most lever guns, due to the sharp shoulder.  YMMV.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 06:37:48 PM »
SWC bullets tend not to fed very smoothly in most lever guns, due to the sharp shoulder.  YMMV.
I understand that SWCs tend to not feed well in lever actions, but have never been sure if it was the shoulder or the length of the nose causing them to "tip" at a different point in the feed cycle.  In any event, this bullet has fed well in the 44-40s I've had a chance to cycle dummy rounds through, so figured there was a good chance they'd work in a 44 Mag/Spec. 

Went and looked at a couple carbines today, but nothing I would be willing to toss in the pickup box while working.  Folks have got me figured out though, I saw a couple oddball 94 trappers, and some _weird_ conversions and re-barrels today.  Kinda fun!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 08:16:10 PM »
Load up some dummy rounds and take them with you while you shop for a gun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com