Author Topic: What are the Odds?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
What are the Odds?
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »
Folks, I was browsing around on an auction site, looking for Webleys in 455.  I found one that the seller had some other interesting guns, so I went to check out all of them.  In his other listings (this is for a Dallas TX gun store) I found a custom Cimarron Thunderer that I had built years ago.  It was distinctive.  I built up a pair of them.  I sold them to a friend last December.  So after I spotted it, I sent him a message asking him why he sold one of the revolvers.  He messaged back that he didn't sell one, that one had been stolen from his house along with 2 other pistols.  The thief had left the rest of his guns alone, just took the three.  Fortunately, I had the serial number and photos of the gun that was listed on line.  I compared the pictures and the patterning of the color case hardening, sort of like a fingerprint, confirmed it was the same gun.  I asked my friend if he still had the box, and after some digging, he found that.  So he can prove with the serial number, the box, SN and photo I sent him that it is his.  Sad part of this story is that he is having a little trouble retrieving it.  Oh, it has nothing to do with the fact that he can prove it was the one he bought.  It's all about his failure to make a police report on the stolen guns when he discovered them missing.  That is holding him up a little right now.  He told me he did not report it because his insurance was not going to cover it anyway.

The point here is simple.  Always report a lost or stolen firearm.  Regardless of whether your insurance will cover the loss, report it to the police immediately.  I'm pretty sure he will be able to get it back eventually.  But there is a lot more red tape because he did not report it in a timely manner.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
Re: What are the Odds?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
I definitely 2nd that.  Not to mention if the serial numbers are attached to your name and it is used in a crime, bad news.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
I had my truck broken into last year and they stole my Colt Agent.  I reported it to the police, but it has never turned up.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:57:55 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
On the other hand ....
about 1981 I had two Colt 2nd Gen BP, a Walker & a 3rd Dragoon stolen out of my inclosed & lock Horse trailer.
I reported the theft to my Home Ins. and I was covered ,They paid  :o
in fact I was paid more, than I had in them .
Short ending....the Dragoon turned up in still another theft recovery, since I had settled, I could not reclaim the Dragoon.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com