Author Topic: I think my new Schofield is malfunctioning. HELP!  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: I think my new Schofield is malfunctioning. HELP!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »
I just put some rounds through my ‘73/‘76 carbine, ASM Schofield and a 1860 uberti open top conversion [all .45 lc]. I’ll need to use my lighter 180 gr swc loads in the open top as it bangs my knuckles with the heavier bullets. The 200 gr loads work fine in the ASM Schofield and 73 but in order to get 10 rds in the carbine I’ll need the shorter Schofield brass. I discovered that the swc bullets and their slightly rounded nose causes the loads to get turned sideways and locks up the lifter. Glad that I found that out today. It feeds regular 200 gr rnfp bullets fine. Guessing that the flat nose up against the flat base of the next rd is keeping everything straight. Hit most everything with only a couple misses.
The Schofield operation is considerably different from my vaqueros. Is there any way to eliminate the lockup that happens when the trigger is touched and the hammer cocked? With that design I will never be as fast with it as I am with my Rugers but it is a really neat revolver and then I am a webley fan.  Next week we shoot.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »
I have had a number of Uberti Schofields.   I found that a 200 grain bullet with 5.5 - 6.0 grains of Trail Boss was a load they liked.  8 grain of Unique is pretty stiff and at the upper end, IIRC.

Lawman, my 2nd edition Lee reloading manual shows 8.4 gr. of Unique to be starting loads for both 200 and 250 gr. lead bullets and I am only using 8 gr.

I was told by an old friend years ago that was fairly representative of what the old original black powder load was. My book does not compare BP and modern loads so I don't know if my friends statement is accurate. I have shot it for years from my reproduction SAA's and the few USFA's that I have and they have shot reasonably well, but I will try your suggestion and see if my guns like it better. Thank you for your suggestion.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 10:06:16 PM »
Perhaps a bit of confusion?  8 grains Unique is a mid range load in the Colt case, but would be a better than max load in the Schofield case.

In this caliber I like Red Dot: 250/6 grains in the Colt case, 230/5 grains in the Schofield case, and 230/4 grains in my Auto Rims.  230/3.5 in the Webley MK II case.  These are all published loads FWIW.  My 5" Schofield likes all these, (well, not the AR cases, those are for my shaved Webleys) and those little Webley cases really fly out of a Schofield.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:12:09 AM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »
Hi

A 250 grain round nose Tek coated Lead bullet over 4.5 grains of Titegroup shots to point of aim at 25 yards.  It works ok so far in both Schofields.  I did load work up with both 230 grain lead round nose (basically a 230 grain lead .45 ACP FMJ Round shape, and the 250 grain round nose.  The 230 grain shot low.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »
Hi

A 250 grain round nose Tek coated Lead bullet over 4.5 grains of Titegroup shots to point of aim at 25 yards.  It works ok so far in both Schofields.  I did load work up with both 230 grain lead round nose (basically a 230 grain lead .45 ACP FMJ Round shape, and the 250 grain round nose.  The 230 grain shot low.

Later

Are you using a 45 Colt case or the 45 Schofield case?

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 04:03:29 PM »
Are you using a 45 Colt case or the 45 Schofield case?
Hi
.45 Schofield Case, Starline.  I like it better, shorter is no issue, and it has a wider rim, easier to get out of the cylinder.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com