Author Topic: Another Marlin build started  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Another Marlin build started
« on: January 12, 2021, 01:32:46 PM »
Decided to redo my wife's old 1894s .45 Marlin into a Trapper/ Marauder. All my parts are in except for a carbine buttstock and carbine ladder sight. Today I done the deed, have hacksaw-will travel. Used my bench disc sander to square up my cuts but I’ll still borrow my buds facing tools. [Been having photo issues but maybe I’ve figured it out.] I enlarged the sight bbl/magazine band from Pioneer. The forearm mag tube opening was too small [guess it was for a .38] and had to be enlarged. Been getting the bbl band fit to the forearm tonight. Need to put my new belt drive on my mini mill tomorrow so I can drill the holes in the magazine tube for the endcap. I can still see the dovetail from the forearm cap so I’ll have to fill that in. I’ve also shortened the mag tube a hair from the photo. Looks better a little shorter. As it is now it will hold ten .45 Schofield 200gr loads, one on the carrier and nine in the tube.

All is well with Hacksaw, l’ve been hangin out at Gunboards and MarlinOwners lately.

Got my belt drive installed on my mini mill today. Wasn’t hard, only had to disassemble things once.
Here’s your tintypes, Coffinmaker.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Another Marlin build started
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »

:)  Ah ..... Biltmore   ;)

Not to be Rude, but, without Tin Types, it's just a Figment.  Glossies Please.  I was wondering why Hacksaw MacGurk was out of town  ::)

With some modification to the lifter, it will run Cowboy 45 Specials.  Lots of 'em.

Stay Safe

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:37:15 PM »
24 inch vs 16 1/4 inch.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:43:28 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »

:)  Biltmore   ;)

Most EXCELLENT indeed!!

Stay Safe

Offline JOG

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 07:25:21 PM »
That is going to look fantastic when finished! Marauder's are as rare as hen teeth!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 08:52:07 AM »
Got the forearm, upper and lower bbl bands on but it was a wrestle. Using a  replacement uberti upper bbl band, a .38 cal marlin forearm and a stoeger lower band on a marlin 45 was a pita to fit. I needed more space between the bbl and mag for it to work easily. The screw in the lower band is too low and wound up in the mag tube interfering with the follower. The old bbl dovetail will become a spacer to hold the tube away from the bbl at the bbl band screw. Shot it yesterday with no problems with a dime holding the bbl and mag tube apart at the front of the forearm. Pictures when I get it done.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:41:23 AM »

With great anticipation  ;D

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 06:10:10 PM »
Built my barrel dovetail spacer today and got it all together. Holds the mag tube away from the bbl fine. I love my mini mill. Also used it today to cut the mortise for the lower sling swivel on my buds Krag after I filled the sling swivel that bubba had installed. I had been cutting sling swivel mortises by hand. This is a lot easier, set up is a challenge though.

Screwed up Saturday and didn’t get my buds facing tools. We’ll have to get together next week.

10-21…small update, my repro carbine sight came in from DGW. Now to finish the carbine buttstock install. Shot steel with it and the sights are fine. Might put it on paper just to check. The trimmed rim Schofield brass worked great. No hard chambering.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com