Author Topic: NCOWS guncarts  (Read 38678 times)

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCOWS guncarts
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 10:56:54 PM »
Monterrey......
On the second photo I would have used the word "Wispy"  ;D ;D

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 11:48:08 PM »
A haversack is another good option.

I used a tarred haversack, like the one shown, for years until I got a set of saddlebags one year for Christmas. The untarred haversacks can be found from CW sutlers for under $20.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 04:21:33 AM »
Pancho – I see your point about shooting and that in this crazy modern life when one goes out for a relaxing/fun time to make the most of it. And, as with other shooting sports/clubs, NCOWS is first & foremost a shooting organization. The trick, I believe, and constant struggle is to find the balance between shooting and history. NCOWS is the front line of finding a balance of some sort between the two. No easy task.

Delmonico – You have an extra sammich..?!?! I’m all for it, too bad you’re in Nebraskey and I’m in the north eastern section of the mid west. Makes visiting over some good chow difficult!

OCB – I own that most excellent Family Heirloom Weavers repro carpet bag and I, unfortunately, resemble ‘wispy’ in name only. As you know I’m a rather rotund fellow and thin/wispy doesn’t work for me as it would Jerry Barnes or Dr B. No matter, I’ll keep trying to get down to my fighting weight mon ami! By the bye, I hear-tell you’re coming to the state shoot in Michigan to film? Look me up, will be camped there with some pards. Only one of us is shooting and the rest of us will be lounging about, cooking up some grub, a-hootin’ and a-hollerin’ &c. If you’re coming let me know and we’ll sport you a cup of coffee (and it can be fortified if’n you and William are looking for an extra jolt…!)

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:07:39 PM »

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 04:50:56 AM »
I knew it - I knew it - I knew it!  Anybody with the name "Yellowhammer" just GOT to be from Alabama!!!! ('Cept we'd prob'ly say it as "yellah-hammah" -- an' likely precede it with "Rammah-Jammah", right?)

<----- from South Alabama

There's hundreds of little towns like that all over Alabama and Mississippi -- probably Georgia too, if you look along the back roads.  And, in every small town that's worth calling a town there is - or was - most likely a "City Cafe" or "Town Cafe" or some such.  That describes the Whistle Stop Cafe to a tee.  Usually doesn't look like much from the outside, but they're always crowded because they serve excellent food!

BTW, Fried Green Tomatoes is my favorite movie about the South.  They got it dang near perfect.  Of course, that's because the author, comedienne Fanny Flagg, is from Alabama.

How-Do, Bruthuh!  :D

Fannie Flag wrote that about the area both my folks are from. My dad's family were the original white settlers of Opelika in the early 1800's and my mom was from Notasulga.  Those train tracks in the movie look like they were filmed in Notasulga (tho they weren't) where my mom used to play (they were always warned to watch out fer the hobos).  As fer Rammer Jammer--my dad went to the U of A and my sis was born in Tuscaloosa. I've always struggled to deal with this, since I was raised primarily in Tenn. and Orange clashes with Red (Crimson  ::) )

And yes, you're right, "Yellowhammer" is a homage to my bloodline.  ;)  I'll dig up the story on that, involving the War Between the States and Nathan Bedford Forrest's boys. 

Whereabouts you from?
------------------------
Back to the debate:
I only carry one of everything I need (4 guns, etc), but my wife shoots with me so that doubles everything. She's 5' tall and barely 100 pounds. It would be a bit of trouble to carry our entire armament on our backs (though I'd do it if the situation demanded). 
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
J.D., Roll Tide. My shooting hand once had the honor of shaking the hand of the Great BEAR BRYANT. Tj  :)
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 09:16:44 AM »
Monterry Jack Brass->
Bags like that second one can still get you killed in some parts of the country <grin>.

Pony Express->
If you have any pictures I'd love to see 'em. That's an interesting idea that may be more 'doable' in the short term than a sheath, since I'd probably have to make whatever I use myself at first before I could buy one that's actually well-made.

Dutch Limbach->
I'd been thinking I'd make myself some kind of canvas bag, but that looks like a better option. I'll check that out.

All->
Pancho most definitely loves to shoot!!  And he does a mighty fine job of it, too.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
Whereabouts you from?
I lived in Mobile from 1958 (age 12) through 1988 (age 42), with a "detour" courtesy of Uncle Sam.  I've got relatives up in Red Bay AL, and my parents' families are from Webster County MS.

Had a job once that required me to travel the southern half of Alabama on a regular basis.  Been to or through nearly all those small towns I previously spoke of.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »

Regarding the "too many guns comments",

I usually go to a match with 2 rifles, 2 shotguns, 3 to 4 handguns, and sometimes a pocket pistol and big bore rifle.  If I see a stage where my 24" barrel sporting rifle will be more handy, I'll use it.  If the 20" short rifle allows me to poke through a window quicker, I'll use it. 

Pancho

Hmmm....I think I'll use the 9-iron, oops, I mean the goose gun on this stage. ;) ;D
You got a golf bag full of clubs, you might as well use them.  Oh, crap; I mean guns.  :) ;D

I don't see gun  carts beig outlawed.  Some of them are pretty neat.  Not authentic, but neat.
I have heard of some being diguised as, barrels or luggage.  Now that would be really neat.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
...Dutch Limbach->
I'd been thinking I'd make myself some kind of canvas bag, but that looks like a better option. I'll check that out...

kflach,

The tarred haversack will protect its contents from rain. The one I've got also has a bag that lines the inside of haversack. I did sew up some canvas bags that I would use to separate different things in the haversack. I use to put one or two boxes of ammo per bag. I figured if a lid came off a box I'd rather fish the loose shells out of a small bag rather than chase them around the bottom of the haversack. It did seem though that being wrap in the bags help keep the lids on my ammo boxes.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 01:05:02 PM »

2) Antique plough.  You can tie your long guns to the tines in the rear.  Disadvantage: hard to pull from stage to stage, but if doing so you might scatter a few seeds along the way for future range improvement.

Actually, that's a hay-rake.  But it would be good to have, so the posse can make hay while the sun shines... ::) :P ;)

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 01:55:34 PM »
Dutch,

I did a search for "CW Sutlers" but couldn't find it. Could you send me the name of their web site?

---[Modified]-------
Never mind - I've figured out that you were referring to Civill War sutlers in general and not to a specific web site.

I found some.

Offline lethal larry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »
I bring a gun cart to most every match at our home posse. Reason?  It is very common for new shooters to show up with nothing but a smile and a hope. I bring an extra batch of ammo, guns, etc., so they can share my cart as I accompany them from stage to stage, schooling them and trying to give them the needed information about our beloved activity. Now if I'm going to some other club to shoot and won't be anyone's "mentor" I'll take my saddlebags some times.
"Clinging to" my Wife, Guns, Bible, cats and goat... and proud of it!

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 02:48:20 PM »
I haven't had this out of the shed in several years but here is my old guncart.

The main section is an old dome top trunk, (I don't recall now if it's a camel-back or hump-back), the Arbuckles coffee  keg began life as a prop in the movie "Ride with the Devil", (there's a hole cut in the trunk to allow the gun barrels to fit up inside the keg), the handles are from an old garden push cultivator, and the wooden spoke wheels were scavenged from a broken goat cart.  A piece of heavy canvas is tacked across the bottom of the trunk lid to form a big pocket for misc treasure. On the left side there are a couple of belts so different holsters can be attached depending on what you might need for extra pistols.

I'll see if I can find some better pictures. I should have some of Ol Gabe's freight cart too.  The worst example I recall seeing (this was NOT at an NCOWS shoot) was just a green plastic Scotts lawn spreader with a notched board affixed to the handle with a couple of radiator hose clamps.  ::)

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2009, 05:54:08 PM »
Dutch,

I did a search for "CW Sutlers" but couldn't find it. Could you send me the name of their web site?

---[Modified]-------
Never mind - I've figured out that you were referring to Civill War sutlers in general and not to a specific web site.

I found some.

Here's one of the best - and where I THINK Dutch got his tarred haversack:

http://fcsutler.com/

Hope ya don't mind me answering as I'm not Dutch.

;)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 06:05:28 PM »
Okay,  with all this talk of Alabama, I have a question.

The one page history I have of my great-grandfaterh, whom I take my monniker from says that he came from Santa Rosa joined the Confederate Army in Alabama.

I know of a Santa Rosa Florida and Santa Rosa Sound in Florida.

Was there a Santa Rosa in Alabama?

Thought one of you might know....

Thanks!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »
Steel Horse, thanks! That's the one I found when I looked up Haversack. Great minds think alike.

And I'm not Dutch either.

I'm Texan.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »
Okay,  with all this talk of Alabama, I have a question.

---Snip ---

Was there a Santa Rosa in Alabama?

Thought one of you might know....

Thanks!

Not that I know of, and I know most of southern Alabama pretty well.  Of course, small settlements came and went fairly quickly in the Antebellum South, and names changed as well.  Its also possible he was from the Santa Rosa area in Florida.

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
The one page history I have of my great-grandfaterh, whom I take my monniker from says that he came from Santa Rosa joined the Confederate Army in Alabama.

I don't know of one, either. He may have just come up to AL to join a unit there.  If you check with the Alabama state library, they've got the pension records for vets and you can get copies. It might disclose more. You may also be able to get his CSA records from the feds in D.C. I checked with both got info on a couple of my great-great-grandpappys.  I'll see if I can put my hands on the relevant web addresses....

Tj, I hope you never washed your hand again after shaking with The Great Bear.  :D

Daniel, I didn't think that was a plough! But that's what the caption said.  My farming relatives would be sooo embarassed for me!   :-[

Lone Gunman--that's one Hell of a cart!!! That's downright slick!
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
FYI:

Theres a gent on the SASS wire selling a Calgraf Coffin gun cart for real cheap (almost 1/2 the retail price).  He's not far from me.  If anybody in this area is interested, let me know.

If you ain't seen one, they're real smart:  Small 48" coffin on wheels that opens up and holds all your long guns and ammo.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Bisley Joe

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 29738
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2022, 05:14:57 PM »
Anyone know if either NCOWS or SASS would allow a guncart fashioned after the earliest automobiles?
I am thinking electric, gas, or even steam powered.
I would not drive it into the shooting area with other carts necessarily, but station it just outside the stage.

Here is what I am thinking about, more or less:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com