Author Topic: Krag Carbine Reproduction  (Read 22143 times)

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Krag Carbine Reproduction
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:18 PM »
I was at Winter Range last weekend and learned that Cimarron Arms bought an original Krag Carbine when they were there.  Spoke to the people in their tent and was told they intended to send it to Pedersoli to reverse engineer a reproduction.  Their best case scenario was three years before we see anything for sale.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Krag Carbine Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »
Wait'll they get a load of just how Springfield Armory built that receiver...

And didn't Cimarron say they were going to reverse-engineer a Merwin, Hulbert about 10-12 years ago?

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:05:41 AM »
Smoothest bolt rifle ever.

With modern metallurgy and a bit of technical upgrade I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:20:54 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:21 AM »
Pedersoli produced a handful of Krags back in 1998,  sort of an industrial experiment.  The cost was astronomical or so I heard.  Never seen one, just a few pictures, the point being they allready know how to do this.  Can't be much of a market, and I'm a bonafide Krag lover!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:38:21 AM »
For no more than the market is likely to be, and as expensive as the project would be, I'd think it might be more feasible to buy cut down rifles for the receivers and rebuild them into carbines.  It would be somewhat akin to what H & R did to make Trapdoors back in the day.  Evidently, it was far less expensive to use a lot of original parts that it would have been to reproduce everything.  I would think on a Krag carbine you'd primarily be looking at reproducing the wood, the saddle bar, and the barrel band.  Reproducing the receiver would have to be horribly expensive, even if you investment cast it.  Plus, I guarantee the quality wouldn't be what the arsenal built back then!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
If they are smart they will make the rib on bolt bear on the receiver bridge and the bolt handle itself act like a third locking lug like the Danish Krags that shoot a round as hot as 8mm mauser with no ill effects.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »
I recall reading about the government testing that supposedly "weak" Krag action.  They totally removed the locking lug and fired a service round with no ill effects.  Sort of like the low number '03's, I think most of the problems with some of these old rifles were far more theoretical than real.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »
Wish I could remember the serial number range Hatcher used when he tried to blow up an 03.  Took a serious amount of bullseye as I recall but then mom has altzheimers
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 07:20:54 PM »
When the Army did it they used a charge in excess of fifty percent over standard before a receiver let go.  They concluded most of the problems were due to poor brass manufactured during the Great War.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
I think it was Hatcher also said some of the 03's blew up with 8X57 rounds used by mistake.  Also there was something about target shooter greasing cupro nickel jackets to reduce fouling that was part of the problem.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »
Part of the problem that caused M1903 Springfield rifles to blow up was incorrect heat treatment of the receivers. This was on receivers numbered below #800,000 from Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal #285,8XX. (I CANNOT FIND THE EXACT NUMBER OF RIA, but it was at least that high!) I would NOT fire Springfield M1903's with serial numbers lower than about 850,000 just to be safe. After that, some of those rifles were re-heat treated (so-called "double heat treatment" receivers), but the big change was to a different steel. This whole business does not seem to apply to Krag rifles and carbines. See "Hatcher's Notebook pp212-235 or so.  IIRC, P.O. Ackley tested some of the low number, and possibly higher number receivers, and found they were so hard and brittle, if you tapped them lightly with a hammer, they would shatter!

I'd have to believe, the way prices and costs of reverse engineering, tooling, etc., are going up, that a repro Krag would run in excess of $2,500. But that's just my guess.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
I was at Winter Range last weekend and learned that Cimarron Arms bought an original Krag Carbine when they were there.  Spoke to the people in their tent and was told they intended to send it to Pedersoli to reverse engineer a reproduction.  Their best case scenario was three years before we see anything for sale.

Just bounced this back to the top as it relates to Drydocks Mike Harvey Krag  info.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »

So what exactly IS the problem with an ORIGINAL Krag?  They are cheap and plentiful, the real deal for about near giveaway prices compared to other antique guns out there. Why buy a repro?

Same with the Trapdoor for that matter, and other models too. Those old guns haunted by the long dead former users and the spirits will throw your shots all wild?  Think you might get blowed up shootin 100+ year old guns? ;D

Not here to judge. If some people just like buying brand new guns that no one else has owned, that's fine with me. :)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
I kinda see the point:  He wants to build an M1896 Carbine, ie reproduce the carbine carried by the Rough Riders in 1898.  Ever price an original documented M1896 in excellent condition?  And double that if it has the 1895 receiver marking. 

It might very well be possible to bring in an M1896 in at under the market price for an original 96 Carbine.  For someone like me, who is happy to take a cut down rifle and remilitarize it for shooting, it's a no sale.  But there may be a market for a well done reproduction of this specific model for those who want an M1896, but would never dream of shooting an original.  Think of how desirable the Cimarron Ainsworth SAA has become, its a cult market all their own.

I'm not holding my breath over this, but it would be nice to see.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »

Ha Ha! You know I know what a Rough Rider carbine is potentially worth Colonel! Both a reproduction and an original cutdown reconfigured into a M1896 carbine will do the same thing, but neither is the real deal and the original does it for a whole lot less than what this repro will end up costing if they can ever even get the CAD right and start making it. Not holding my breath either.

Now this is just me, but I tried some repros back in the '70's, and they just didn't do it for me. I only ever wished they were real Colts etc. so I sold them and only bought period guns from then on. But again, that's just me and I don't disparage anyone with repro guns. Might kid around a little, and do admire the quality when it's good and am certainly glad they're making them.  They get more people out there shooting and on "our side" when it comes to our 2A rights! 

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 06:34:13 PM »
While there may be a market, is there a suitable venue to shoot them? I can't see a niche for them in NCOWS or SASS.

Let's contact Mr. Harvey and get him to offer a free membership to the GAF with every purchase . . .

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
Why buy a repro?

Well, in my case, I'd rather play with a repro than an original because if I ding the stock or drop it and put a big gouge in it or break a part, I just defaced history. They aren't making any more originals. If I ding, or gouge, or break a repro; Oh well I'll just buy a replacement part.

I guess I feel like if I'm just shooting it in a controlled environment I'd shoot the original, but If I'm playing (reenacting, or GAF shooting) I'd rather not take the chance on damaging an original.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
While there may be a market, is there a suitable venue to shoot them? I can't see a niche for them in NCOWS or SASS.

Let's contact Mr. Harvey and get him to offer a free membership to the GAF with every purchase . . .

RCJ

How about for Rocky Mountain mule deer and elk?

I had a friend (RIP Jae) who took both and a lucky shot on a pronghorn (for him, not the antelope).
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »
Why buy repos?  They could be made for other cartridges.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 03:54:52 PM »
Why buy repos?  They could be made for other cartridges.

OOOOH ! ...uh-oh!  Can, meet "O" worms  :)   ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com