Author Topic: How To Cleaning ROA Nipple Recesses and Threads?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline oldwolf

• Mountain Man
  • Active citizen
  • Long Live the Sixgun!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How To Cleaning ROA Nipple Recesses and Threads?
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:01:47 PM »
I took my ROA to the range today. This was the first time I have shot it, as a matter of fact, and it was the first time I have shot a Cap ’n Ball revolver. Had a great time and was the center of attention at the range as not too many people get to see an old “tyme” revolver up close and in action. A few didn’t think these revolvers were accurate enough to hit paper targets at 25 yards. Some people were surprised at the power 40 grains of powder can yield.

Anyway, when I got home and started cleaning it, I noticed it is somewhat difficult to clean all the gunk out of the nipple recesses in the cylinder, What method and specialized tools do you guys use to get this area squeaky clean?

By the way, I use the hot water and soap method to remove the fouling.

Thanks!

OldWolf
Regards,
OldWolf

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
Re: How To Cleaning ROA Nipple Recesses and Threads?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 08:18:08 PM »
I use an old toothbrush.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline oldwolf

• Mountain Man
  • Active citizen
  • Long Live the Sixgun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 08:29:57 PM »
I was using a toothbrush too, but the hot water makes the bristles kind of soft. Maybe I need a stiffer brush.
Regards,
OldWolf

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:59:29 AM »

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »
Toothbrush, pipe cleaners and the indispenable (to me) Q-tips.  Of course, you can't get much of anything into the recesses without removing the nipples first.  Sad loss in the marketplace is the wood stick Q-tip, the cotton comes off too easily when wet from the paper stick.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com