Author Topic: Historical boots too tall? Custom options?  (Read 966 times)

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Historical boots too tall? Custom options?
« on: October 01, 2020, 11:13:09 AM »
I'm 5'8 and have had issues finding historically correct boots that fit.
I tried on a pair of Oak Tree Farm's Pale Rider boots, and the 17" shaft is just too tall, looks comical, and comes up exactly to my knee and prevents me from even bending my legs properly. I'm thinking I'd need a 14 or 15" shaft.
I'm assuming in the old days there wasn't some standard shaft height for boots, but cowboys would get something custom?

I found this bookmaker on etsy that does custom work. Price looks good. Thoughts on this, or is there someone else you'd recommend?
Thanks!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/580509039/civil-war-cathedral-cowboy-action
'Whiptail' Moses Byron Ames

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Historical boots too tall? Custom options?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 12:24:30 PM »
interestingly enough looks like they're cheaper on their website:
https://www.gladiator-polo.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67_177_207

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 12:43:45 PM »
Those look like nice boots and the price seems right. On Etsy there is a measuring chart to get your dimensions but I only see even sizes when you order. Perhaps after you place the order you can then send your dimensions but it would be good to find out a bit more before ordering anything. If you get a pair, please post how they work out and how the ordering process was.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:43:11 AM »

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
Will do. I called them, very knowledgable, and they mentioned my issue with 17" being too tall actually resolves itself as the boot breaks in, because the top drops about 2-3 inches.

The difference in price is because custom sized is 300, vs 249. Seems like a really nice deal!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 01:48:51 PM »
You got me curious, so I just checked out some of my boots.  I have a pair of Texas Jack boots, 1 piece front, that I've had for maybe 8 years or so, and a nearly identical pair of COWS boots (made by same shop) that I have only worn a couple times (keep them nice for banquets).   The newer boots are still 19" from the floor.  The more worn boots with the folds are 1 1/2" shorter.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 02:09:07 PM »
Hi

Somewhere in here there's a thread on Missouri Boot and Shoe.  Measure your feet and you'll get Cavalry boots, Brogans, or more plain stuff in your size.  I"m on a work computer of I could tell you what I paid last time.  I have three pair from them, Indian war cavalry boots, 12 inch ropers, and a pair of Indian war era dress shoes.  It is great to have boots in your exact size too.

http://www.missouribootandshoe.com/

If you're wearing these for Cowboy action, getting modern soles is helpful.  Pegged sole boots are a bit slick in the grass, but hobnailed boots are slick on concrete and wood floors.  You wear hobnails at someones house, you ain't gettin' invited back.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 02:42:48 PM »
thanks for the recommendation.

I'm actually going to ride in these things too, so maybe a sole with rubber on just the cuban heel will be a nice compromise?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
I know on my boots with leather soles, they slide like crazy on slick floors, but it is mainly the front part that slides, like under the ball of the foot and toes.  There are gripper thingies available to stick onto the sole near the front that do a great job, but in my experience they don't last very long before peeling of the edges and then falling off, especially in wet weather.

Just as an aside since you mentioned Cuban heels.  I know those are good for riding, but all us "ground shooters" tend to hate those heels for walking.  And a lot of the boots (like my Texas Jacks) have a steel shank inside the sole that holds the shape and prevents you from just replacing with a walking heel instead of the Cuban.  After several suggestions some years ago, I have had my Cuban heels shortened by 1/4", and while you wouldn't think that little of a change would make much of a difference, it is dramatic.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »
You wear hobnails at someones house, you ain't gettin' invited back.

Completely off-topic, but kind of humorous.  When I was a kid, I remember going to a Forest Service ranger station in the woods of western Washington and seeing a sign which read, "No hobs or caulks allowed inside." I didn't know what "hobs and caulks" were and I thought that it had to do with segregation. I got angry at the overt racism until my parents set me straight.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 02:18:17 PM »
thanks for the recommendation.

I'm actually going to ride in these things too, so maybe a sole with rubber on just the cuban heel will be a nice compromise?

Hi again, actually, I'd do the soles.  Not Vibram soles, just a plain old 1/16th inch rubber sole will be a big help.  Running in leather soles ain't fun.  I looked on Amazon and they're 3.5 mm thick is all.  A lot of the GAF (Frontier) shooters wear modern soles.  Unless you get shot no one will know and we're more like Western run and gun than reenactors.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com