Author Topic: Demonstrating GAF  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Demonstrating GAF
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
I have done demonstrations at a few clubs.  What I do, is ask them to let me shoot one target with my Trapdoor and Krag.  Then they can inspect it.  If the rounds cause any damage, I will buy them a new target.  There's never been any damage, and I've never bought a target yet.  Then I offer my rifles to anyone who wants to try them.  Thats usualy all it takes. 

You can also remind them that the .56-50 Spencer is a SASS Legal round, with its 350 grain bullet.  If their targets won't take a Trapdoor round, they won't take the Spencer round either.

Of course, the trapdoor has knocked a target over now and then . . .

Cody-Dixon style is also an excellent way to go.  All you really need are two additional rifle targets per stage set further out, widely spaced.  Most clubs have extra targets laying around, and you can always offer to buy a few more over time.

SASS and NCOWS folks are for the most part gun cranks like us.  They LOVE seeing/handling different stuff.  You just need to give them the opportunity outside of their present comfortable Niche. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Demonstrating GAF
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »
Concur with Drydock.  A number of us shoot GAF at the regular monthly SASS match at the Plum Creek Shooting Society in Lockhart, Texas.  Most of us shoot regularly with a posse that includes GAF categories, Cody-Dixon and regular old CAS categories.  We shoot the same targets with our rifles as the Cody-Dixon shooters and the same pistol targets as everyone else.  We reload our pistols on the clock.  We shoot a variety of rifles.  I am partial to my Sharps Carbine, .45-70.  To my knowledge we have never damaged a target.  The only complaint we ever hear is that GAF and Cody-Dixon shooters are slower than the others because of reloading pistols on the clock (GAF only) and reloading single-shot rifles on the clock (some GAF and C-D).  In fact, our mixed posse almost always finishes before the other posses with CAS shooters only.  I choose to believe that's because of our military efficiency and the leadership abilities of those running our timer (mostly GAF shooters). 

Drydock is absolutely right about the other shooters being fascinated by our rifles.  Our GAF contingent continues to grow each month.  We even hosted the GAF National Muster at the Agarita Ranch (the Plum Creek Shooting Society regular venue) last fall.  I know when I started shooting at Plum Creek, Scooter, Texas Sarge and other GAFers got me hooked right away. 
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »
Thanks for all the advice Col, and Capt. 

Right now, my biggest problem is the attitudes given to me and my friend by those members in the area.  My friend is only 21, and I am only 28.  They spent over an hour, not really lecturing, but grilling us on safety.  I got yelled at because my hands were resting on my revolvers.  It's where my hands have been trained to go.  I tried to apologize and tell them it's an old habit, playing it subtle.  That's when one of the ROs decided that I may not even be allowed to shoot on the clock yet.  I replied the clock was only there as a start beep, and that I wasn't going for time and never will be.  I then showed him my spencer, and he laughed, saying I never could with that.  I told him I was happy being a "warthog".  He got upset then, saying we had attitude problems. 

I'm retired USCG and I'm now currently working part time with the USFS over this summer.  My friend, is a BLM game warden right now in the mojave for the summer.  We know safety.  I saw three people at the match not doing any trigger discipline at all, one of whom had lectured us!

After that, we just packed up our gear and left.

Dutifully,
WD
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:09:32 PM »

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »
That's really too bad that you got that kind of reception.  Most CAS shooters of whatever kind are usually more receptive and helpful than it sounds like you experienced.  If you are anywhere near Lockhart Texas, come shoot with us. 
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
Capt Soule,

I appreciate the warm invite.  I do enjoy a good roadtrip, so if I ever head in that direction, I'll be sure to drop you a wire.  I've had a great reception here, on CAScity ever since I started back in winter 08, it just seems to be more of a local thing, and like I've said, it's their loss.

Thank you kindly Skipper,

dutifully,
WD
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »
it just seems to be more of a local thing, and like I've said, it's their loss.
dutifully,
WD

Willie, just trying to make you feel better about this ... The last match I went too was as a spectator.  I got yelled at real load for not having on my glasses even though I was 10 yards or more behind the shooters.  Sure embarrassed the lady that yelled at me.  She only yelled to be heard over the shooting which stopped just in time for her yell.  She turned red, I put on my glasses.   ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com