Author Topic: Herters 45 Colt?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Herters 45 Colt?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2023, 07:56:25 AM »
just for kicks and grins you might want to shine a light down into the case to see if those are Berdan primed.

Not Berdan primed but they are sealed in with some kind of red sealant...and of course crimped.

I used to have pinch & arbor bench deprimer, but its long lost in a former move.
  These 75 or so spent milsurp 50-year-old 30'06 brass, really aren't worth the trouble to buy another,
clean and remove the crimp  ::)
I prolly drop them in the scrap barrel for Boy Scouts fund drive.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2023, 08:29:11 AM »
 As scarce as new 06 brass has become, I don't know if scrapping those would be a great idea or not. But chances pretty good being that old they were corrosive primed and if not cleaned....
 Would still boil them in vinegar and spot weld the decaying stem from a Lee size die and give it a try.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2023, 09:31:48 AM »
The majority (not all) of my Herters boxes list the manufacturer at Fiochi.   I have not bought Fiochi before, but I think some is made in southern Missouri.   

I've shot 9mm Fiochi before and had no problem. Fiochi ammo from what I read on American Rifleman, various other gun mags, and have read from various firearm forums is good quality ammo. I reload 95% of what I shoot and have had a few brands of brass over the years be a problem. Most if not all was of European origin, mostly had problems of it being Berdan primed and/or crimped primers. Have the means necessary to take care of those roadblocks.

European outfits such as Prvi Partizan and Sellier Bellot ammo is good quality-have used it over the years when I did buy ammo. Both have good reputations. Some of those outfits in old Soviet Union countries or Arabic produce ammo that is not well controlled by safety standards that I've read over the years as not real quality ammo. I bought some 7.62x54 ammo at a gun show once (some old commie controlled) that every round had a cracked case and was hard to extract from a Russian Mosin Nagant rifle. They were kickers too. Only shot around 6-7 of the 20 I bought. Destroyed the rest, only paid around $10 for the box of those flamethrowers. Bought at a gun show, no idea where the seller was from.  Buyer beware on that crap!!!! :o ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:32:13 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com