Author Topic: 1899 haversack--Real vs WPG  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
1899 haversack--Real vs WPG
« on: June 05, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »
I just got this 1899 repro haversack from WPG and thought that I'd compare it to my original which I found on fleabay years ago. I have no reason to suspect that my original haversack was not carried by Captain W.E. Horton A.Q.M. My research puts him in the Philippines as a Capt, Quartermaster in 1901. The original is slightly smaller, both have similar D rings but the repro has rivets also. The bottom  buckle and eyes are brass on both. Mine has the Columbia Arsenal stamp inside the flap. The mess kit and dinnerware are original but didn't come with my haversack. I'm not sure if they're Span Am or not. One of the D rings tore out of the old canvas unfortunately. The shoulder strap is a repro. I would say the the WPG bag is close enough for what we do. I plan on distressing it eventually. I wish Captain Horton's haversack could talk.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1899 haversack--Real vs WPG
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:04:38 PM »
Here's the interior of the Horton haversack.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Been looking at some of the stuff he is selling....looks pretty good.
GAF#379

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:53:00 AM »

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 04:11:22 AM »
Your original is not an 1899 model, it appears to be a 1878 variant. The 1899 haversacks were increased in size and had rivets  added for strength to the loops for the D-rings. Post -US Civil War haversacks and the models between 1878 and 1910 are like studying Black Magik it can be bewildering.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:49:53 AM »
I just got this 1899 repro haversack from WPG and thought that I'd compare it to my original which I found on fleabay years ago. I have no reason to suspect that my original haversack was not carried by Captain W.E. Horton A.Q.M. My research puts him in the Philippines as a Capt, Quartermaster in 1901. The original is slightly smaller, both have similar D rings but the repro has rivets also. The bottom  buckle and eyes are brass on both. Mine has the Columbia Arsenal stamp inside the flap. The mess kit and dinnerware are original but didn't come with my haversack. I'm not sure if they're Span Am or not. One of the D rings tore out of the old canvas unfortunately. The shoulder strap is a repro. I would say the the WPG bag is close enough for what we do. I plan on distressing it eventually. I wish Captain Horton's haversack could talk.

That is cool !  even Grenadier's observation....   

I was in a little antique/junk style store,  situated alone on the side of the road a few mile south of Gettysburg...
I found a cardboard quart sized tomato juice case/box  full of Span-Am era Canteens (12 as I recall )  canvas & US stenciled , some without spouts.
I think I paid $20 for the lot  :o we used them for prop's on "Rough Riders "

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 10:31:35 PM »
This is fascianting stuff to me, thanks for posting, Ed, and all the comments, folks....

per Grenadier, then, is the repro the correct size?

I would say the the WPG bag is close enough for what we do. I plan on distressing it eventually. I wish Captain Horton's haversack could talk.

My Dear Ed, however do you intend to distress it? speak harshly to it, perhaps question it's parentage?

actually, am really interested in how to age fabric & etc without detroying it. all my stuff is "too new" and unlike Del I just don;t have much opportunity to age it by honest wear....

I don't want my stuff to look antique, just used.
Currently stripping and rust bluing a revolver so I can get it where I want.... not "new" but not "antiqued". I feel that
rust bluing gives more more latitude that way.... but I don't gave a clue about cloth & leather....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
I was thinking that some tea or coffee stains and letting the sun bleach it some would age it without hurting it.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »
Mine is my “man purse » and I carry it almost every day. It gets plenty of wear and tear that way.

For those that are wondering Baltimore is comparing two different models of haversack. The ‘78 pattern haversack (his original) were deemed too small, so the army redesigned it to the 1899 (his reproduction) and made it larger and also added rivets for strength. While they are both nice haversacks there is no real way to compare them to each other for accuracy.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
Thanks Grenadier for the clarification. Does that make my 1878 haversack incorrect for Captain Horton or would it be correct for the Philipines and the 1899 model was put in use after the Spanish American War?
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »
78 models were the haversacks used when we’d entered the war with Spain in 98. The 99 came out while we were still at war in. The Philippines and was used until another model came out in 1903 and later a 1907. Existing  78’s and 99’s were upgraded and converted to each new pattern as they were adopted by the Army and State Militias until the 1910 haversack was adopted. I have seen 78/99/03/07 pattern haversacks still being worn as late as 1918 and even in France.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com