Author Topic: 1873 Springfield Trapdoor  (Read 9397 times)

Offline Big Mak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1873 Springfield Trapdoor
« on: October 10, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
Can't remember if I shared or not? :)
I shoot this old girl almost every week-end with my hand loaded low pressure loads. It's very accurate.
It is dated 1883 with the cartouche and it's not a parts gun, I knew the 2nd owner who passed away some 10 years ago. The first owner was the Oregon National Guard who received this shipment of rifles in 1885.
More close up photos here--> https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/1873-Springfield-Trapdoor-45/n-gxR9F/

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: 1873 Springfield Trapdoor
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »
The Trapdoor is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. There's something about opening the action that just sings to me.  Are those smokeless loads? Not going to fault you for it, just curious.  I've only shot black in mine.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Big Mak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
The photo shown of rifle firing is BP.
I use smokeless (AA5744 @ 26 grs, 405 gr Missouri bullet) for competition because they are the most accurate however when just practicing, I use BP.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:57:40 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 11:47:04 AM »
I love trapdoors! I have 5 (If you include the one somebody made into a lamp >:( ) Yours is in nicer shape than my 2 originals. They (my two originals) were made the 3rd week of march 1874

Be sure to make your way into the Barracks and say "hi" Lots of trapdoor shooters in there.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »
Has anyone done a comparison of the Springfield Trapdoor and the Sharps? I'm
guessing it might come down to personal preference but it sure would be
interesting to me to hear folk's thoughts on the puts and takes between these two.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »
Bruce, I have both and from a purely speed aspect, the trapdoor wins hands down. However I still love them both.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
Bruce, I have both and from a purely speed aspect, the trapdoor wins hands down. However I still love them both.

Quick Fire
+1

I might add that the Rolling Block is probably the slowest, but I seem to shoot it the best.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »
I like shooting CAS stages with mine-1.shoot. 2. cock hammer.3. flip open the trapdoor, and make the timer operator duck the flying brass......sometimes he gets smart and tries to catch them, but with BP they're too hot to hold.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
I have always preferred the Sharps type action.
Was, or is it faster? No. I could not say that, because I used mine for long range shooting and it usually took me longer to get back on target after a shot than it took to reload.
I always liked the strength and reliability of the Sharps action over most of the other actions available during that time period. I base this opinion only on my experience.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »
Thanks, Folks: I have seen quite a few trapdoors for sale including some very old pieces going back to the 1870-s.
I've thought of scoring one of these old pieces and am encouraged by reports of tight actions and sound rifling.
There are sources for Sharps but I have really been put-off by the price points and the varying quality from
maker to maker. In either case, I love the thought of loading my own and may even think about taking such a piece
into the woods during BP season. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
Either way you go, you'll be glad you did. They are both fine rifles for hunting or target shooting.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 10:52:21 PM »
The fastest to shoot is the Winchester 1885 High Wall (or Low Wall).  Shoot - flip down the lever (which flings out the brass) - insert new cartridge - raise lever - shoot - repeat. 

As others have said, however, I like them all.  I have 2 High Walls and 2 Sharps (one original), but no Trapdoors yet.  I'll pick up one of them eventually.

All of them make lots of good smoke!  :o
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »
For what it's worth, I've shot the Trapdoor, Rolling Block and Sharps in GAF/CAS competition, and Jack it right;  The Trapdoor wins hands down for speed.  The Sharps and Rolling Block seemed about the same.  All three are a hoot to shoot! 
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
I just recently started shopping for a 45-70 (no longer having the 44-77 Rolling Block carbine i used to have), so I can have a buffalo/side match gun again.  I was positively astounded how cheap the trapdoors are.  I just got my 1878 trapdoor for $400!  I could barely buy an H&R Handi-Rifle for that!  I am actually pretty stoked, because Buffalo Bill Cody (my Father's aunt's cousin) used Lucretia Borgia, an un-modified 1866 Springfield .50-70 Allin conversion to kill the vast majority of his buffalo. I still have my shooting sticks, though! ::)
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
Nice!!!!
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »
BTW, OP, gorgeous Trapdoor!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 08:21:24 PM »
The Trapdoor is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. There's something about opening the action that just sings to me.  Are those smokeless loads? Not going to fault you for it, just curious.  I've only shot black in mine.
h
Will Ketchum

Noticed the smokeless rounds. Only shoot BP out of mine, also. I have only had one issue with mine. We built some full Gov't rounds and apparently, it slightly bulged the cases. When shot they expand and I became one of Custers men. Had to use my belt knife to pop out the rounds. Need to build me a drop tube. Another thing I learned is the difference in lubes. We built rounds with the blue smokeless lube. I shot 30 rounds at a local cowboy shoot and cleaning the bore was no worse than any other BP gun. I've already boiled out all my remaining rounds and pan lubed them with a BP lube. Still have 65-70 rounds with 300gr bullets and probably 20 405gr. Everyone at the club says shoot'em up and don't do that again, lol. The OP's gun is a lot "purdier" than mine. These guns are almost as much fun as a flinter to shoot.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 06:49:34 AM »
When you load any BP rounds try tapping the case a dozen times with a wood dowel on the case rim after you have put the BP in them. This will settle the BP in the bottom of the case enough so the rest compresses much easier and more uniformly throughout the case.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com