CAS TOPICS > The Longbranch

SCAMS

(1/3) > >>

Professor Marvel:
Well my dear netizens,

It that season... Gotta be alert!

it is the pick your Medicare provider season,
So all the many scams and bait and switch artists and gypsies are out in full force.

Robocalls ( even tho banned) are swamping our phones, with obfuscated spoofed Caller ID numbers
Made to look like a local call, or something else.

Others are more blatant, especially those trying to look official ( some even scraped your data so they
Have your correct name) like one pretending to be from a mail-order pharmacy "about your prescription order" to get you to call them back.... Then their game is to try to get you to say "yes" on their recorded line, and they spoof it to sound like you agreed and they switch your Medicare provider.

I am hot about this right now, because I have been getting maybe 6 to 10 calls a DAY from spoofed numbers...

Leaving no message.

That is quite a few, so in my spare time I starting picking up and engaging them. Often while in the "outhouse" ...

Most all were asking for George Malone, then went into a spiel. This particular one was actually trying to do high-pressure cold calls to sell solar panels! I did string them along long enough to get sufficient data
To investigate their web presence then report them to the BBB, the FTC,. And the DONOTCALL folks.
The principle of this org has a tiny hole in the wall office in hicksburg Utah, fronting for over a dozen low rent companies selling lists of people's data. We will see how this pans out. I warned the last fellow that
I am recording all calls and if they continue will open a case with the FBI white collar internet crime unit.
It pays to have aquantences. Acquaintances, buddies...

In the meantime, I am now answering all calls with "Sherrif's Office, this call is recorded" .
Getting quite a few immediate "hung ups" now, and the call volume is reducing.

Then there are the email spammers.  The worst you are the ones that either do not offer "unsubscribe"
Or use that button to verify a live email .. 🥵

So...
Be careful,
stay safe,
don't let the hooligans scam you
Watch your topknot
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down
Don't trust the Dark Side ( they lied! No cookies ...)
Kevlar is your friend
Adopt a pet from your shelter
Count your shots
And Everything in Moderation

Yhs
Prof grumbles

Dave T:
We get so many of these my wife and I have gotten in the habit of listening just long enough to identify if the caller has a thick accent and if we hear other voices in the background (call center sounds) then we simply hang up without saying a word.  Since they just keep calling perhaps we should engage like the Prof.  Anyway it's a great pain in the neither region.

Dave

38OVI:
Answering machine on main number.  Leave your name and we'll get back to you, if we wish to.  If we don't know who's calling, we don't answer. Very few annoying calls.

Advertising:

Professor Marvel:

--- Quote from: 38OVI on October 12, 2021, 10:26:25 PM ---Answering machine on main number.  Leave your name and we'll get back to you, if we wish to.  If we don't know who's calling, we don't answer. Very few annoying calls.

--- End quote ---

Used to do exactly that until this last month, getting 10 to 15 calls without messages A DAY.
That's when I started picking up.....

If a person is sufficiently motivated, with enough free time, there are marvelous ways one can find satisfaction against such scalawags. Patience is the key, however.....

Major 2:
I've lost count how many calls I get a month wanting to offer Auto Warranty coverage.
They say "we see your coverage is about to expire" ( it's not ) and " this is courtesy call and  last attempt to reach me" 
( no clue how many LAST attempt's  I've gotten  (a lot !)
I've blocked so many.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version