CAS TOPICS > Gunsmithing

Improving the Accuracy of a pair of Schofields

(1/2) > >>

1961MJS:
Hi

I purchased a pair of Schofields in .45 Colt a couple of years ago.  I worked up a load for the first one that came out to be 4.5 grains of Tite Group under a 250 grain Lead bullet.  It’s the more accurate of the two.  Since the first one shot well, I broke out the second of the pair.  After years of shooting bullseye with 1911’s and S&W Model 19’s, I’m dissatisfied with the accuracy of both.  I’ve attached pictures of the best two groups at 25 yards from a rest with the second Schofield.

I’d like to eventually have both worked over with the point being better accuracy.  A 2-inch group at 25 yards would be great.  I’m shooting Schofield brass in these by the way.

Based on the groups shown, am I dreaming or is improved accuracy possible?  If I’m not dreaming, who should I send this off to?  I DO realize that the Schofield doesn't have a top strap...  Since don’t need both at the same time, I’d PREFER to do these one at a time.

Thanks

St. George:
The Schofield was built as a 'Minute of Torso' sidearm - 'not' 'Minute of Angle'.

The sights are just fine for the former - but little else, while it's a top-break, and there's movement there.

'If' you get someone to tune one up - he likely won't get the second to match - hell, they can't do that with a Colt of a clone.

I'm not aware of any 'smith doing real work beyond smoothing them - but you may find some brave soul who can, so...

Keep tweaking the load - try the data for the straight .45 S&W round - it'll behave much like a .45ACP round does and that might be the fix.

Scouts Out!

wildman1:
Depends on the bore condition. If a barrel has very few rounds put thru it or is old and pitted it will benefit from being firelapped and accuracy should improve.
wM1

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:)  MJS   ;)

Your first stop is/are the Barrels.  You need to slug the bore to find what the groove diameter is.  Bullet diameter should be one or one and a half thousand over groove diameter.  Next is the forcing cone, I would suggest and 11degree forcing cone, you may find you have little if any forcing cone.  Next is/are the Cylinder throats, which need be one to one and a half over Groove diameter.

Look at your bullet.  I have no idea why you're shooting those big bullets.  The Schofield was designed to run a 230Gr bullet (max).  The bore needs to stabilize the bullet you're shooting.  I would personally suggest you drop to a 200Gr RNFP for your Schofields.

Play Safe Out There

Kent Shootwell:
Are these new guns or original S&W? If new try 45 Colt brass to put the bullet closer to the front of the chamber. I would advise not doing any alterations unless you know something is wrong, it’s hard to back up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version